Warm Up Regulator

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Warm Up Regulator

Post by Peter-S »

As part of the ongoing project on my 2.8 I was left with the probability that the warm up regulator was not functioning properly. The purpose of the regulator is to act a bit like a carb choke would and provide and enriched mixture when the engine is cold. Its secondary function via a vacuum connection is to provide an enriched mixture under heavy acceleration. Since I was missing something top end and the engine would not rev freely until warm, this component was the culprit.
The regulator has a fuel in flow from the metering head and restrictions in this effect the pressure on the plunger in the metering head which makes it move more or less to give weaker or richer fuelling as required.
The inlet to the regulator is via a 13mm banjo connector under which there is a mesh guaze which can clog up. I disconnected the fuel and vacuum pipes and the power supply and removed the unit from the base plate. It is held on by two 5mm allen bolts. I investigated the gauze and whilst is a bit tricky to pull out I felt I had nothing to lose. Underneath were a further four gauzes, none of which were very clean. These were easy to remove so I gave all a brush with some degreaser and set them aside.

The mechanism within the regulator works via a bi metal strip. As this heats up and bends upwards it allows a spring to expand and operate a small plunger that cuts off the fuel flow. The vacuum, via a sealed diaphragm counters this under load and allows greater fuel flow. To check everything was working I took the unit apart. It is held together by four screws accessed from below and you will probably need to hold the unit in a vice to undo them.
Once apart this is inside the top section.

I removed the spring and heating element by removing a U clip from under the electrical connector on the top of the unit and then undoing the 10mm nut. The element should have resistance of .25 ohms if all is well so I checked and mine seemed close enough.

You then have access to four screws that hold the plate that the plunger is within.

Again, these are very tight but once removed you will find a metal plate that acts against a rubber seal which controls the fuel flow.

Clean off any fuel residue, make sure the small plunger is free and then reassemble.
The little plunger is operated by a metal pin actuated by two springs on the base section.

These just rest in place and are not secured at all. I just made sure everything was clean then reassembled the whole unit. I found it easiest to place the pin within the locating hole on the plunger, holding the unit upside down, place the springs around it and rest them on the bi-metal and then lower the bottom half carefully over this and locate them into the fitting in the base. Then its tighten the nuts and refit to the car. In my case this has made a world of difference.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Warm Up Regulator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Peter,
Great write-up explaining the workings of this mysterious part of the injection system. Very brave of you to attempt a refurb, especially as the potential is there for it to go horribly wrong! Great that it's worked out well in the end.

All the best,
Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Peter,
I've just re-read your helpful thread as I'm currently cleaning the innards of my regulator.
Can you remember how you managed to remove the gauzes from the inlet side? Mine have so far defied all attempts to be come out!

Thanks,
Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Peter,
I've just re-read your helpful thread as I'm currently cleaning the innards of my regulator.
Can you remember how you managed to remove the gauzes from the inlet side? Mine have so far defied all attempts to be come out!

Thanks,
Andrew.
I think I 'stabbed' the top one with a small watchmaker's screw driver right on the edge. It kinked it a little but they flatten out again. The others came free quite easily afterwards.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Before I sent mine off to be reconditioned I too kit apart to have a nosey, and because by the looks of the screws someone had already taken it apart in anger. It was visibly in much worse condition that the one in Peter's excellent guide.
Mine seemed knackered in several different ways. Firstly one of the wires to the heating element was broken, but also the diaphragm was stuck to the plate so can't have been working correctly.

The small circular rubber seals seen inside dropped out as I took mine apart and appeared to have stretched so wouldn't go back in place even if I had wanted to reassemble.
I only say so that if anyone else is taking their apart they may find it doesn't go back together as easily unless it's already in fairly good condition.

Obviously if you're only cleaning the gauzes this won't be a concern :)