2.8I Special

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Cliff
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 Injection Special

2.8I Special

Post by Cliff »

Hi all, owned my 2.8 since 1993, it was once in lovely condition but time has taken it's toll, it's been off the road for around eight years and is now in much need of a restoration.
She's just had her 30th Birthday and after going to the Brooklands show I've got the desire back to get her back to what she once was. I want to restore her back to factory spec as much as possible (well maybe a few tweeks here and there!). I'm gradually building up a stock of the needed parts.
Here's she is, with some rather sad looking faded Laquer Red paintwork-
Imagecapri6.jpg by FlyingPig.Photography, on Flickr

The strip down has started-
ImageIMGP6093.jpg by FlyingPig.Photography, on Flickr

Although generally scaby its not as bad as it looks, Majority of body work repair needed is at the back, Rear arches and lower corners are bad, rear valance is now swiss cheese-
ImageIMGP6050.jpg by FlyingPig.Photography, on Flickr

But underneath it looks like the only area of concern is the back of the rear spring hanger-
Imagecapri2.jpg by FlyingPig.Photography, on Flickr

Up front both headlight bowls have holes, Inner wings were welded up some years ago but think its best to get the wings off and see if all is ok, they need to be replaced anyway.
ImageIMGP6079.jpg by FlyingPig.Photography, on Flickr

Its not all bad though, Recaros are in excellent nick, I've already got a new dash panel and top, so not much to do on the interior (other than changing the failed heater motor). Original radio will go back in and as I'm a auto electric installer I've got some hidden secret ICE planned.
ImageIMGP6059.jpg by FlyingPig.Photography, on Flickr

Mechanically she's sound, will just require some beautification. Looking forward to giving you further updates as the work continues. :burnout:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: 2.8I Special

Post by pbar »

Welcome to the forum! And good luck, you must be really attached to the car having had it for 12 years, will look forward to seeing your progress.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Looks like a good starting point.

Look forward to see the work in progress.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
That's a nice honest Special you have there, in one of my favourite colours for a Capri.
You're already aware that there's a good few months of restoration work ahead of you, but I'm sure the end result will be something, ahem, special.
Please keep us up to date with your progress on the restoration, we love to see photos on this forum!.
Just in case you didn't know, Martin at Caprigear is a useful source of both parts and information.
All the best,
Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Looking over the pics again the interior looks to be in fine fettle. Not much to do in there I expect?
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

pbar wrote:Welcome to the forum! And good luck, you must be really attached to the car having had it for 12 years, will look forward to seeing your progress.
Cheers, that'll be 23 years I've owned her, when I first passed my test I'd set my heart on one day owning a 2.8i, it was my dream car when I was at school (bit too old to of been a cossie fan!) She's was the third Capri I owned, my first car was a Mk2 1.6, she was more filler than metal-
ImageIMG_1219 by FlyingPig.Photography, on Flickr
Then came a car I wish I still had, this lovely Mk3 1.6GL
ImageIMG_1215 by FlyingPig.Photography, on Flickr

Wish I could find a pic of the 2.8 when she was in her prime, outside chance one of you guys might have a pic of her, I used to take her to a lot of the CCI shows in the mid 90's :)
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Welcome to the forum Cliff, it's great you've decided to restore your capri, a guy in work has owned one for a similar amount of time & his has just become a storage table. I'll show him your pictures as he's going to restore his 'one day', might be the push he needs.
Good luck with bringing it back to former glory, plenty of helpful advice on here, a great forum.
Cheers,
Rob
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Cheers, my Capri has been on the "will be restored one day" list for many years. It was going to the Brooklands event and seeing all the other Capris that's given me the kick to get it underway.
Having not looked at Capri parts for a few years it has really struck me how much rarer (and dearer) a lot of items have become. Good contacts like Caprigear and all the forum's experience will be invaluable.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Cliff wrote: Cheers, that'll be 23 years I've owned her...
Goodness me, so it is. I must have been off that day :D
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Welcome to the forum Cliff, That car looks like its got the potential to become a great car. I love the fact that you have owned it for so long. Has it deteriorated whilst being stored or is that more or less how it was when you last drove it?

Your second Capri has a registration local to me. Where are you from?

All the best
Neil
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Hi Neil,
I'm from Slough, not sure where my second Capri was originally from. I know the 2.8i early life was around Dartmoor, I've managed to trace the original owner who still lives in the same place. As the gentleman runs a holiday home I'm considering surprising him by taking my car back to its original home for a visit.

As for deteriorating in storage, yes it has a little but nothing new, only existing damage has got a little worse. I've compared it to pictures from 3 years ago and other than a bit dustier there's no noticeable change. Lucky I've got a good dry garage.
NeilL
Car(s): 1984 Laquer Red 2.8i Special.

Post by NeilL »

Hi
Welcome to the forum. As the proud owner of a Laquer Red 2.8 Special i look forward to seeing updates on your resto. Good luck and keep those photos coming.
Neil