My 86' Laser - Back To Basics

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
sparks
Car(s): Ford Foucs 1.5 TDCi (Daily Driver)
Honda CBR 400 Import (Toy)
MK3 Capri 1.6 Laser (Restoration Project)

Re: My 86' Laser - Back To Basics

Post by sparks »

Will01 wrote:Nice work and thanks for the thanks you gave back in 2015 for the adjustable tca's. Just fitted mine last week with other bits and bobs. Can't believe I had for soo long.
How long before you reckon you be able to enjoy her again?

Crikey. Thats a question! haha im not sure. would be nice to get her done over the summer now i have plenty of spare time but only time will tell i guess. Would be great to get to some shows and let her shine!
sparks
Car(s): Ford Foucs 1.5 TDCi (Daily Driver)
Honda CBR 400 Import (Toy)
MK3 Capri 1.6 Laser (Restoration Project)

Post by sparks »

Well.

Its been an uphill battle for the last three years. I cant believe i haven't posted since 2017.. blimey...

The laser ended up on the back burner for some time. and afterwards finding the motivation to get stuck back into the resto was difficult to find. i would go and have a look at her, sat there neglected and tired, tinker a little bit... then end up back at home. needless to say i'm picking her back up right where we left of! and with a new lease of life a lot has moved forward.

But before we get to that i'de just like to say that i know the photos are broken for the thread. and after the outrage of Photobucket's decision to royally peeve off every forum user in the world. i deleted my account after saving my photos. So i will re-post the thread pictures either in a single post or if i can fix the current post i will.

Anyway back to the resto!

So the engine ended up coming out so i could access everything better

And the wiring loom....

And the rest of the dashboard area....

Along with the rear axle and susspension....

Dont forget the front susspension....

And then.... everything stopped again for a little while... but all for good reason. we moved. but not just house. we moved onto bigger and better things...

A brand new workshop fit for a Capri!

And after we gave the floor a lick of paint (Blue of course) (not quite ford blue but still blue!)

We got the Capri moved in too her new home. which was a challenge in its self. you know... seen as it has no susspension, wheels, steering, engine... thankfully. i know a guy...

Quite possibly the most tense moments of my life watching the Capri bouncing around on that fork lift as it was moved across the compound to the new unit. Thankfully no dramas!

Some new equipment was acquired.

We had some issues getting it there tho. as to have it shipped cost an absolute fortune. so me and my dad purchased another Ford!

It just! fit in the back. And for those of you who noticed, Yes! That was an MG Midget in the background. My dads latest purchase. (Think he caught the classic bug)

So we got the ramp up with little issue after borrowing some kit from a handy neighbour (massive drill bits and a power drill)

Oh and i spoilt myself at work and got something to give me a constant reminder of that classic ford good stuff! :D :D

So after all that, i mulled over how i was going to move the capri around the unit to get it on and off the ramp when i need to use it for other things! I planned on making a jig to move it easily but it never happened. And after discovering an abandoned shopping trolley in the river by my house i bolted the wheels to two pallets and ratchet strapped the pallets to the base of the car through the doors and that was that. i forgot to take pictures so ill grab some next time i'm up there. but it works great!

Moving on to some of the fun stuff i decided to tackle as much of the welding i could before moving on with the resto as im not a huge fan of welding as its a huge pain in the arse. especially some of the harder stuff like this! I'm not the best welder in the world but i'm quite proud of how it all came out!

Some of you may remember my trauma in the windscreen department

And a smaller bit on the drivers side i found

Moving onto probably the worst part of the welding. something I've been putting off since i found it in 2013. The drivers side rear leaf spring mounting area. I'm honestly surprised the thing hadn't fallen off before!

Excuse my messy application of seam sealer! It ain't perfect or pretty but shes structurally sound and once i order a new drivers side sill to close it all up its going to be under sealed and you wont see it anyway!

Unfortunately on one of the trips to the the workshop i noticed the windscreen had cracked which is a huge bummer. because it was original with the registration etching i can only assume it was down to temperature changes and age but it is what it is and ill have to source a replacement!

So in all some good progress. And thankfully due to its remote location and 24/7 access to the workshop i can self isolate inside and crack on with more of the resto!

Most of the welding is done besides a few little holes and some niggley little bits. plenty of parts to refurbish. am going to have a crack as some DIY Electrolysis Rust Removal this coming easter weekend so i will let you know how i get on with that! as well as plenty of other things to be getting on with.

Thanks for reading!
Comments and questions welcome!

Tom.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL (restoration project)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (2000-2004)
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Hey Tom thought I'd pop over and look at your project page. Firstly I am mighty jealous of your new unit. I would love something like that. Secondly looks like you have a Heck of a project there. I know the feeling of having to break away for a while as life gets in the way. Glad you are back on it though. Hopefully we will get them both finished at some point!
Image One day she will be back in that field!!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Love that unit! What a fantastic space for everything.

Fair play for cracking on with that welding as well :applaud:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

:applaud: Very good looks like you have been busy .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: