2.8i Special Project Painted

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: 2.8i Special Project Painted

Post by D366Y »

Freelanderfan wrote:
Right hand boot liner was split, so was lucky to have been given this marked one for free,

Some plastic filler, primer & grey paint later & it came up well,

Painted left one to match & re-fitted both along with cleaned up washer bottle,

Rob
Hi guys,

Greatly thread, can't believe I've missed this build before but the attention to detail is fantastic and I'm starting to get my project-bug back again, craving a new challenge! I would ask quickly about the paint you used on your boot liner as it's something I've been meaning to get around to for yonks and now the cold winter nights are coming in it would be good to start tinkering...

Halford's special Vinyl paint gets mentioned a lot on here (I'm sure Nick has shares in it!) I didn't know if this was the same stuff or the usual spray cans from Halfords as the finish is brilliant! :boxing:

Thanks
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

D366Y wrote: Halford's special Vinyl paint gets mentioned a lot on here (I'm sure Nick has shares in it!) I didn't know if this was the same stuff or the usual spray cans from Halfords as the finish is brilliant!
Thanks very much for comments Danny. :) I've used the Halfords Vinyl paint on the dash with excellent results, so can vouch for it being good stuff. I painted the boot liners with plastic primer & plastic paint after talking to a sprayer at work who advised to use paint, sourced it on ebay in dark grey & i'm happy with results. TBH the vinyl paint looks good too, as can be seen by the excellent results Nick has achieved. Going to get some to spray the underside of my new CCI parcel shelf as Nick has done as it finishes it off nicely.
Cheers,
Rob
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Freelanderfan wrote:
D366Y wrote: Halford's special Vinyl paint gets mentioned a lot on here (I'm sure Nick has shares in it!) I didn't know if this was the same stuff or the usual spray cans from Halfords as the finish is brilliant!
Thanks very much for comments Danny. :) I've used the Halfords Vinyl paint on the dash with excellent results, so can vouch for it being good stuff. I painted the boot liners with plastic primer & plastic paint after talking to a sprayer at work who advised to use paint, sourced it on ebay in dark grey & i'm happy with results. TBH the vinyl paint looks good too, as can be seen by the excellent results Nick has achieved. Going to get some to spray the underside of my new CCI parcel shelf as Nick has done as it finishes it off nicely.
Cheers,
Rob
Thanks Rob I'll have a look into it, it's the little things like that that can top off the finish and make it look brand new!

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

D366Y wrote:
Freelanderfan wrote:
Cheers,
Rob
Thanks Rob I'll have a look into it, it's the little things like that that can top off the finish and make it look brand new!

Danny
Hey chaps, great thread this....gives me the chance to talk about HFVP (Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint) again :)

Seriously though Danny Robs boot liners have turned out superb with that paint he used on them so very hard to advise against using it. Looks brilliant dont it ! All I would say is I know you mentioned sonewhere recently you like to keep the "grain effect"...(think it was your bumper end caps) and the HFVP applied in very light coats does keep "the look" if you know what I mean. Having said this Robs boot liners look spot on anyway with that paint he used so as said cant really advise going for HFVP.....for once ! :lol:

Danny you are spot on when you say its these details that really make a diference. I removed every single bit of grey trim on mine and painted them ALL with HFVP and it came up like new ! Dont forget the kick panels too. These are usually really dirty.

Good Luck fella. You really are cracking on with your jobs

Rob, I just been looking over this thread of yours again mate. Boy ! What a superb job you made with your interior. Looks simply stunning mate. Never tire of seeing the results of that spray job either. Gorgeous colour ! Full credit to you. You got one hell of a Capri there :D

I hope you did not mind me quacking on about HFVP on your thread....I just cant help myself.... :wave:

Cheers

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: I hope you did not mind me quacking on about HFVP on your thread....I just cant help myself.... :wave:
:lol: Wouldn't have expected anything less Nick, thanks for your comments by the way mate :D .
Looking for some dark grey vinyl paint at moment, wondering if you could recommend anything ..
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Freelanderfan wrote:Looking for some dark grey vinyl paint at moment, wondering if you could recommend anything ..
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But get this Rob....I can now say it in French mate....."halfords flexible vinyle peindre - gris fonce" :wave:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Freelanderfan wrote:Looking for some dark grey vinyl paint at moment, wondering if you could recommend anything ..
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But get this Rob....I can now say it in French mate....."halfords flexible vinyle peindre - gris fonce" :wave:
Have you been abroad recently selling your wares Nick!?? Need to make those shares worthwhile!

Danny
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:But get this Rob....I can now say it in French mate....."halfords flexible vinyle peindre - gris fonce" :wave:
Bonjour Nick,
Que ferions-nous sans Google Translate? :lol:

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Que ferions-nous sans Google Translate? :lol:
Oui monsieur Andrew, Google Translate est fantastique :)
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Just a quick update on my Capri progress. A towing incident last November (due to a dead battery) damaged the front valence slightly resulting in a need for some repair work. I had intended stripping off the suspension, prop etc. over the winter & painting & undersealing as required. I already knew that the tops of the underwing strengtheners looked a little flaky, so was going to protect them with anti-rust treatment & underseal for protection. As the car needed painting anyway, I thought I may as well tackle this now as the rest of the car had been repaired so well, the only things not removed were the front wings. To prevent any future problems I drove the car to a recommended local bodyshop for them to take look in February, three & a half months later, I got the car back..

Front wings removed, to be honest, I was expecting worse for a 30 year old car but the rot had already started munching the outer wings so would only have gotten worse in the future.

Headlamp bucket top & side edges repaired with new metal on both drivers & passengers sides.

Valence lugs looked a little flaky so templates made & new ones welded on both sides also.

Inner wing rail replaced along with new strengthener.
Drivers side had same wing rail & strengthener replacement.

New front wings fitted, doors & bonnet refitted to aid alignment.

The finished car, drove it home on Tuesday & spent every spare hour refitting interior trim, bumpers & lights etc. ready to drive to the Queen Square meet tomorrow. Gave the car a good run today to make sure it's all working, no problems so far so looking forward to showing the car for the first time.
Stripes to follow once paint has hardened off, going to enjoy driving it again all summer then tidying up underside over the winter.
Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Caprifan Rob on Sat May 13, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Rob,
It was worth the wait as it looks awesome!
I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person.

All the best,
Andrew.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Thanks Andrew, let's hope the weather is dry ;) :D
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprifan Rob wrote:Just a quick update on my Capri progress.

The finished car, drove it home on Tuesday & spent every spare hour refitting interior trim, bumpers & lights etc. ready to drive to the Queen Square meet tomorrow. Gave the car a good run today to make sure it's all working, no problems so far so looking forward to showing it for the first time
Hey Rob. Brilliant fella !! :applaud:

Your Special looks stunning fella. Love it !!!

You must be over the moon to be back driving it especially as it looks so lovely. Rob I hope you enjoy your first showing tomorrow at QS. I would have loved to have been able to come along to see D281 and yourself and Andrew, but now it is back on the road no doubt I will get to see it soon. Cant wait to see it in the flesh after reading your restoration and seeing your attention to detail....especially the HFVP on your dash. I will forgive you for not using it on your boot liners :wave: :lol:

Thanks for the update. Just as Andrew said its certainly has been worth the wait. Nice one Rob and well done fella. Your 2.8i Special is a credit to you mate :D

All the best now

Nick
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Looking great Rob :applaud: I wasn't aware you had these issues....... Mercury Grey :D :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I've seen Rob's car now, and it's just as stunning in the flesh...... :D
Sadly, I didn't manage to catch up with Rob.

ImageFord Capri 2.8 Injection Special D281WYJ by Andrew 2.8i, on Flickr

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote:Looking great Rob :applaud: I wasn't aware you had these issues
Thanks Andy, much appreciated, I'm pleased to say, I don't have these issues any more :D
Andrew 2.8i wrote:I've seen Rob's car now, and it's just as stunning in the flesh...... :D
Sadly, I didn't manage to catch up with Rob.
Thanks for the picture Andrew, still haven't sorted my phone storage so couldn't take one :)
Can't believe we were having breakfast while you were by the car :doh:
We'll catch up with you next time. Cheers
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Thanks for the update. Just as Andrew said its certainly has been worth the wait. Nice one Rob and well done fella. Your 2.8i Special is a credit to you mate :D
Thanks Nick, for comments (& forgiveness for not using HFVP exclusively :D ).
Cheers,
Rob
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

Superb from start to finish she looks fantastic Rob, I'm having trouble keeping up :cool:
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Bertie wrote:Superb from start to finish she looks fantastic Rob, I'm having trouble keeping up :cool:
It's all your fault I've done this Des :lol: , after seeing the job you're having done, I thought I'd better do it right first as last :D
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

Glad to be of service Rob.... :D hopefully we will start putting her back together in the next couple of weeks if she turns out close to yours I'll be happy...