2.8i Special Project Painted

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

2.8i Special Project Painted

Post by Caprifan Rob »

My 2.8i

Hi, just adding these few pics, gave the car a run around 6 weeks ago & it cut out due to fuel starvation. As it'd been rarely used, the inside of tank had rusted & rust flakes had clogged the fuel pump. A friend suggested using tank cleaner & rust treatment from Frost, which so far has worked, result! One manifold gasket, some new plugs & resetting the timing & we are now driving it about & loving it. Bodywork repairs will start over those long winter nights..

Tank after cleaning, rubbed down ready for paint

Painted with silver hammerite

Fuel pump carrier was rusted through, caprigear supplied replacement, bought new Bosch pump

Surface rust on spare wheel well, floor not too bad condition

Took opportunity to underseal while tank was off, painted accumulator

Tank & freshly painted straps refitted

Removed, blasted & painted drums while wheels were off, only rest of axle to do now..

Took car to Pembrey where it did a 3 hour return trip with no problems

Nearly didn't buy this car due to poor state of front seats but a friend who works for furniture clinic persuaded me it could be fixed, just got seats back after a long wait to fit them into his workshop

Drivers seat leather was beyond saving, ugly patch on seat base

Passenger seat leather rough but save able, same patch on stained seat base

Passenger seat undergoing liquid leather repair on bolster, rest of seat recoloured

Drivers seat reupholstered, passenger seat recoloured, seat bases replaced with reclaimed cloth (excuse grainy pics..)

Had rear seats recoloured to match

Going to strip out rest of interior now & start bodywork over winter, car passed its mot last month
So at least we're starting with a decent base. :D

At long last we are starting the bodywork. As body shop has just taken on a big contract, just as my car was fitted in :doh: , it's going to take a while as it's weekends only on the capri :(
Updates will be slow because of this but at least it's starting :D

Interior stripped, will remove drivers seat as soon as windscreen is pushed out

Removing spoiler / bumpers etc have not revealed any nasty surprises

Drivers side rear arch has rust at both bottom corners

Passenger side also has rust but both are better than expected, new arches ready to go on

Will add more as progress is made, could be some time ..
Last edited by Caprifan Rob on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 2.8i family restoration

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Lovely car, a real head-turner in blue over silver! You can't beat a good 2.8! 8-)

All the best,
Andrew.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Thanks Andrew.
Bought this last month, pictures make it look great, it's a fixer upper which I'll be doing with help off my 2 boys. Feels really great to own one again after too long a break. We plan to restore it to original spec, keeping the same colours & restoring the body & interior to the best we can make it. I've started buying bits that are missing already to help with restoration that we'll start in the winter.
Looking forward to enjoying it through the summer before the hard work starts, here's to some long dry sunny days !

Cheers Rob.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Rob,
Hope the restoration goes well, what a excellent way for a father and his sons to spend quality time together! 8-) I assume that's one of the boys sat in the car, but I bet he won't get much of a chance to drive it as you'll want to have it all the time. :)
Did I read somewhere you're in South Wales? I'm in Ceredigion and Capris are thin on the ground around here.

I look forward to seeing more photos as the resto progresses.

All the best,
Andrew.
Big Mike
Donator
Donator
Car(s): No Capri at the moment but will bounce back one day!

Post by Big Mike »

Fantastic colour combination there Rob, as Andrew has already said its a great thing to do with your lads, it's exactly what I've been doing as you already know!

Keep us updated mate, it'll be nice to see it coming along as and when you do various bits and pieces on her.

Mike.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Cheers Mike,

Thanks for help & encouragement so far. Good luck with your own car, I'll keep referring back to your pics for reference on how it should look..

Yes Andrew,

I'm in RCT South Wales, been looking for a Capri for a couple of years, bought this in Cardiff as it's the only one I've seen for sale less than 100 miles drive from me so they're pretty scarce here too.

Rob.
Last edited by Caprifan Rob on Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martinc92
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special (restoration) Isuzi D-Max pickup (daily driver) Hyundai Santa fe (for towing)

Post by martinc92 »

Hi Rob

your 2.8 looks in good nick, which is a blessing as there is plenty to get you're teeth into without severe rot being an issue aswell , doesn't seem an issue with yours from photos.

I have just finished my 2.8i special resto taken 18 months. I bought mine from Swansea off ebay but I am in Staffordshire. The reason it took my eye is that the registration was local to me so I needed to bring it back home.

I hope your resto goes ok.

Mart
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Thanks Mart,

Been to a few shows lately, Swansea, Cardiff & Tatton park to see the standard of capris on show. Had a chat with a few of the Cheshire Capri club guys in Tatton who were most helpful. These guys own cars that they're not afraid to use which is what we want for ours. I want this to be a good useable classic ford to have some fun driving around in. Got a fuel delivery issue at moment so it's not starting. Changed relay & ordered fuel pump so we'll try that next. Do you have any pictures of work done to your car, would like to see them if you do. Can't get enough of these home resto stories!

Cheers mate,

Rob.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Rob,
How is the resto coming along on your special?
Are you taking the car to the Pontarddulais show at Pembrey next month? If you do go, I will come and say hello if I see your car.
Keep up the good work on the Capri!

All the best,
Andrew.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Hi Andrew,

Capri is currently on axle stands with fuel tank off. We found out it doesn't run too well when fuel pump is choked with rust.. I've ordered a tank rust treatment kit from Frost so will give that a try along with the new fuel pump & relay I've just fitted. It was running roughly before, so we're hoping this will cure it.
If we can get this sorted and give the car a few runs before the show we'll drive it down and say hi, as long as we can park it behind a tree until it's finished ;)

Cheers,
Rob.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Freelanderfan wrote:We found out it doesn't run too well when fuel pump is choked with rust.. I've ordered a tank rust treatment kit from Frost so will give that a try along with the new fuel pump & relay I've just fitted. It was running roughly before, so we're hoping this will cure it.

Hi Rob,
Sorry to hear of those problems, I hope the tank rust treatment kit does the trick. The Bosch fuel injection system, although a simple system, is susceptible to dirt in the system and has to be scrupulously clean to work efficiently. The same goes for the fuel pump. Apparently it's quite common for particles of dirt and rust to damage the pump and possibly block the injectors.
When you get it up and running don't run with the fuel tank too empty and it's best to change the fuel filter regularly. Good luck with it!

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Rob,
Pleasure meeting you at the show today.
I enjoyed having a little look at your car. I think it's a good example of a Special and is the perfect basis for the light restoration that you have planned for it. I can't wait to see further updates as and when you undertake the work.
Looking at these pictures again, the paint looks like a totally different colour in person. Here it definitely looks blue, but in the bright sun it looked more like grey. Whatever colour it was, I liked it!
Keep up the good work!

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Hi Andrew,
Likewise, pleasure mate. Enjoyed the show today, it's good to see Capris now gaining classic status in car shows, nice to them appreciated as yours was. Yes, jury's out on the colour, depending on the light it seems to change..
Got us home though, so a good a day out whatever the colour :D

Cheers,
Rob.
Big Mike
Donator
Donator
Car(s): No Capri at the moment but will bounce back one day!

Re: 2.8i Special seat refurb

Post by Big Mike »

Hi Rob,

Cracking job done on the seats there, feels really good seeing things come together doesn't it?

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished item!

Mike.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Rob,
Fantastic, the seats look like new. You definitely owe your friend a drink!
As Mike says, it's satisfying seeing the end result of a job well done, isn't it? Keep up the good work.

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Thanks both, it was definitely worth the wait. Really, this should be one of the last jobs but they looked so bad they were spoiling my enjoyment of the car which is what it's all about.
Bodywork next on to do list over the winter, looking forward to the paintwork looking as good as the seats ;)

Cheers,
Rob
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Re: 2.8i Special bodywork starts

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Rob,
It's great to see that the work on the body has started. Good news that you haven't come across any hidden nasties. It's always a tense moment because unless you've owned a car from new, it's difficult to know exactly what work has or hasn't been done over thirty years. Pity the bodyshop has taken on more work and the Capri is being fitted in around that, but it's a good sign that they're in demand! I look forward to seeing more photos as work progresses.

I just stumbled upon your latest update by accident, can I suggest adding the word updated and the date to the thread title? That makes it easy for nosey people like me to keep an eye on what's going on! :)
All the best,
Andrew.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi Rob,
It's great to see that the work on the body has started. Good news that you haven't come across any hidden nasties.
I just stumbled upon your latest update by accident, can I suggest adding the word updated and the date to the thread title?
Thanks Andrew, it's looking good so far, bodywork seems to have faired very well. I'll add date as you suggested when I've taken some worthy progress pictures, goings really slow at moment so there's not much to show, don't think Xmas will help either ..

Cheers, Rob.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Keep up the good work.
There is a good standard of cars coming along on here, best keep my wits about me :D :D

My car was previously in Harverford West from about 2008 to 2014

Andy
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote:Keep up the good work.

My car was previously in Harverford West from about 2008 to 2014
Thanks Andy, it's taking too long for me and I'm missing driving it, roll on summer :)

Should have driven west & bought yours, would have saved me a lot of time & hassle :D

Cheers,
Rob.