2.8 Shell Project

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

2.8 Shell Project

Post by Hot_Protein »

Hi there. I have recently become the proud owner of a Ford Capri again. I have had many if I’m honest; and quite a lot of them left me in a worse state than they were when I got them. This time I have bought a rusty shell of a 2.8. I quite luckily got one for a reasonable price with lots of stuff still with it: Doors, Tailgate, Bonnet, Glass and random interior parts. It has quite a bit more rust than I first thought but then I guess that is always the way. What looked like good wings turned out to be good use of filler and paint.

My plan for this car is to get rid of the rot and replace it with fresh. Then buy a Mk3 Mondeo and strip its guts out and insert them into the 2.8 shell. I’m doing this because: 1, I want modern mechanics and electrics 2, I can’t afford original equipment. So before everyone slates me for not keeping it original I will tell you that there is no possible way that will be happening, unless of course people start donating running gear and interior items.

I’m going to be looking for encouragement; advice and inspiration from this forum so please feel free to comment on anything I’m doing.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 2.8 Shell Project

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
This sounds like an interesting project, what mondeo engine are you planning on using?
It has to be the 2.5 or 3.0 duratec! :)
All the best,
Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

:oops:
Double post. :sorry:
Andrew.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Well was planning on using the 2,0 Duratec. I really want some rediculous engines but can't afford them at the moment and a 2 litre would give me reasonable fuel efficiency therefore making it a more viable every day car. I would like to drive it every day :)

Other engines I have considered (at great length drooling over ebay): straight 6 Volvo, V6 Busa(apparently the best sounding engine ever), straight 5 volvo, 2.3 Saab, Jag v8 and the supercharged Jag v8.

In the interest of getting it moving as soon as possible. I will be inserting a Duratec.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

So the other day I started cutting out some of the crap. I still can't weld so when I'm removing rust I'm doing it in mind of replacing the rust with small patches. I have seen people removing much larger sections on here but I only have the confidence for itty-bitty patches. I plan on borrowing my friends welder and practising on some small scraps before doing the real thing.

I have cut templates from wheatabix boxes and transferred them to a BMW bonnet which I will cut up and make good use of.

Going to Cardiff tomorrow for a few days so I will be watching welding tutorials on my phone in the hotel room.
simon.rob
Car(s): ford capri 3.0s ongoing restoration, white 2.8 injection and daily driver is a 2.0 seat leon fr

Post by simon.rob »

looks like youre at the same stage as me bud, all rust cut out now making up all the panels to weld back in, those strut top holes get bigger each layer you take off!

looking good !

si
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Hey Si
That's not all the rust. I have plenty more to cut out on the other side, scuttle panel and bumper bracket mount. Also someone hacked the mum out of the front valence to fit a rad for a rover v8 so I'll be tidying that up too. If anyone has a scuttle panel for cheaps then I'll be I interested.
Had a look at your 3.0 thread. Looks like very good progress indeed.
Swishy
Car(s): 2 X 1.6 LS

Volvo V70 D5 (daily driver)

Post by Swishy »

straight 6 Volvo
So it's not just me who has these 'thoughts'... still a few 960's lingering on ebay -

3litre 205bhp (later ones were 185bhp) - but ditch the autobox and fit a manual from a late model or a 2.5. Plenty of room for one in the capri engine bay.

Kind of wish I hadn't sold mine... :banghead:
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Hey Swishy
I was thinking the later si6 3.0 turbo at 300hp or the 3.2 na at 240hp. I want to supercharge one because I like the sound. Ideally a switchable one with a clutch like the interceptor. Childhood dream right there. You should get a shell and straight 6 it. I also read that the six is shorter than the five.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Right, I haven't actually done anything else to my shell since last post because of the mismatch between days that don't rain and my rota at work. However the monotonous rain has given me some ebay time and I now have a complete rear subframe, diff, hubs and brakes from an RX8. All this thanks to my Inland Revenue Savings Scheme.

I have been influenced by a few builds and driven by my own desire to have IRS on a Capri. If my shell came with an axle I probably would have used it and carried on dreaming.

http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/10 ... th-x-pack/

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... 16lXfldW1U

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-c ... capri.html

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=39262

One issue I have is that there is a slight difference in track width between the Capri and the RX8; 100mm at the friont and 74mm at the rear. Also if I use the 18" wheels that the rex is emblazoned with, I will have a bit of arch rubbing going on. There is yet another issue of 137mm shortfall in wheelbase compared to the rex. It might not be a major issue but it depends how the steering will be set up.

The solution would seem simple. All I have to do is butcher the perfect rear arches I have and fit an x-pack. I could modify this to allow for a slight tweak in the wheelbase and possibly for the extra rim diameter (or maybe some 16" Mazda steels banded ;) ). My problem with this is that even though I like the wide look of the x-pack, I feel it ruins the lines.
V8boss
Car(s): Mk3 Capri with Boss 302, Tremec, IRS, RX7 front suspension
2x Mk2s donor cars
XY falcon, 351 V8, 4 speed AOD box and 9 inch

Post by V8boss »

You're going to hate me for saying this, and I feel stink saying it too, but I think you might be biting off more than you can chew with the rear subframe conversion if you havent done much welding before. Take it from me, its a massive job, and will slow your build down by months, if not years. Mine took 3-4 months of after hours work and on slow days in the workshop, and I've got a reasonably well equipped fabrication bay, and had another guy helping me as well. The benefits dont outweigh the costs in time and money IMO. Why not stick with your original (and good!) plan of getting the bodywotk done and installing the duratec. It means you will get driving sooner, and you can always do the subframe conversion afterwards. Also saves cutting up the body for an X pack kit if you dont like the lines too.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

V8boss wrote:You're going to hate me for saying this, and I feel stink saying it too, but I think you might be biting off more than you can chew with the rear subframe conversion if you havent done much welding before. Take it from me, its a massive job, and will slow your build down by months, if not years. Mine took 3-4 months of after hours work and on slow days in the workshop, and I've got a reasonably well equipped fabrication bay, and had another guy helping me as well. The benefits dont outweigh the costs in time and money IMO. Why not stick with your original (and good!) plan of getting the bodywotk done and installing the duratec. It means you will get driving sooner, and you can always do the subframe conversion afterwards. Also saves cutting up the body for an X pack kit if you dont like the lines too.
Thanks for your honesty and I do agree with your logic. However this is my little hobby to keep me sane. I will get good at welding as it is one of those things I just want to learn and get good at. And I will need something to fabricate when I get better at it. It will take me a long long time but it's what I want, I don't have a time limit and the reason I am doing it the hard way is that I don't have any drive-train. I was going to build a Locost from scratch so I was planning on jumping in at the deep end. I learn better that way :D

I admit that I am obviously less skilled than you and haven't got the right environment for the project (at least at the moment). But I will get the bodywork done first.I will have to get the wheels on before I can get a donor vehicle though.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Hoisted my rear end up in the air today so that I can start my measuring. Getting the thing level was a pain in the arse but measuring the heights and positionings is a little trickier. My plan is to mark the holes of the mounting points on my nice flat white board and take a measurement of the heights. Then I can start plotting their relative positions to each other from a baseline. Then all I have to do is measure the chassis on the Capri. Once I have drawn it all out on paper then I'll order in some box section to make up mounting points on the chassis. It's going to be fun positioning it in the correct place longitudinally and then there is the ride height to consider.
Any way I had to go to work so put it all back in the tiny garage and then the frame my shell came with collapsed. Dropping the back end on my new axle.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

I haven't posted in a long time. I moved house and started working full time. I have lots of money now to do my project, but no time to do it. I also have a lack of space but then that has always been the case.
I have now gathered together all the welding parts I need to start my project but just need to find the time to pull the thing out of the garage and decide how to invert it so that I can start fabricating the damn RX8 rear subframe onto the shell.
My first solution to this was to design a chassis tilter via Sketchup. I did this and then found a similar design existed, so just did my own version of that. Then I decided it would take too damn long to make and would probably never happen. However I looked at other alternatives.

1. Buy a chassis tilter for £1000.

2. Scaffold poles and fittings. You can get all manner of fittings and even wheels so this seemed like a cheap and less involved option as it would involve very little welding.

3. Buy to heavy duty engine stands and modify them to use as a chassis tilter.

4. Build a simple frame made from large bits of wood I have laying around on top of the car and then attach the wheeled frame that it currently sits on to the top. The aim then is to roll it over using some tires or something as, um buffers, is that the word? This is most likely what I am going to do.

Also I got excited a while ago and bought an old white block Volvo engine. A 2.4ltr Turbo. It's a low power version I think but it is supposed to put out something like 190 BHP when new. Which is a good starting point for me until I get my V12 Lambo engine ;)

So that is where I am at the moment. Not exciting progress but I do hope to get rolling soon.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
It's good to see that work is still ongoing on your interesting and ambitious project.
I look forward to reading further updates.

Andrew.
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

I bought a rollover jig from rolloverjigs.com
I bought the heavy duty version and have had mine mounted for some time. It was nowhere near £1000! Think mine was £260 as we also have E-Types for resto and we bough self levelling kit on top. Best money i spent soo far on the resto. worth its weight in gold easy.
Good luck with project, mine was a long slog. But i building her now finally!
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Will01 wrote:I bought a rollover jig from rolloverjigs.com
I bought the heavy duty version and have had mine mounted for some time. It was nowhere near £1000! Think mine was £260 as we also have E-Types for resto and we bough self levelling kit on top. Best money i spent soo far on the resto. worth its weight in gold easy.
Good luck with project, mine was a long slog. But i building her now finally!
Hi Will01,

Thanks for the suggestion. That will most likely be the route I will go now. I kind of need the one with wheels but the wheels are quite a lot more money.
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Once you get it, go out and buy some box section which matches the roll over jig and make up a frame that holds front and rear jigs together and then buy some castors. Prob cost about £40-50 but then you can wheel it around.
We have a shell roller aswell in another garage for holding an old Jag, doesn't need to be fancy, keep it simple
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Will01 wrote:Once you get it, go out and buy some box section which matches the roll over jig and make up a frame that holds front and rear jigs together and then buy some castors. Prob cost about £40-50 but then you can wheel it around.
We have a shell roller aswell in another garage for holding an old Jag, doesn't need to be fancy, keep it simple
Thanks for the idea. I have a wheeled frame that my shell is currently on which I may cannibalise to make the jig mobile. The wheels are certainly heavy duty. My problem with the wheeled jigs they sell is they won't have a chance of fitting in my garage.
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Its funny but the length of my jig and shell fitted doesn't fit in the garage so i cut the legs down so i could fit it in.
It works though :)