Low boost blow through

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
DaveSimpy
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (resto project)

Re: Low boost blow through

Post by DaveSimpy »

Howdy,

Just a bit of an update.

- Drill, tapped sump for oil return
- Dizzy removed ready to have timing locked
- Down pipe measured and cut ready for welder to tack together
- Fitted fuel cut off interia switch in engine bay
- Re-fitted brake servo with modified mouting brackets to hold it closer to the firewall

Just need to get some 90" Silicone bends to attach boost pipes to and from intercooler, mount intercooler, lock dizzy, set advance timing on dizzy, hook up vaccum pipes to wastegate regulator to top hat.

Sounds like a lot but not really. Once done ready to fire it up :) Oh yeah will need a boost gauge.

Dave
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Found this on another site, good info on a proper dissy setup, could be used on a 4 pot dissy too????

The Ford Capri Turbo Technics kit had a modified Bosch vacuum advance module fitted to the side of the distributor to advance and retard the timing for when the turbo kicked in. The part number for this module is 1237122877...and it was also fitted to Saab 900 turbos's back in the day.

good luck
:spam:
jimmyted
Car(s): ford capri 1.6L - now 2.0L

Post by jimmyted »

just seen this. very cool!

how you getting on?
DaveSimpy

Post by DaveSimpy »

Alright Jimmy Ted,

It's going ok ta.

Fuel system upgrade is completed with inertia switch fitted. I've adjusted and modified the dizzy to limit the max advance.

Need to get the manifold modded slightly by the welder to bring the flange closer to the engine so the downpipe can clear the steering coupling.

Got the downpipe cut and tacked together to test fit once manifold is modded.

Just waiting on my landlord who owns a garage to sort me out with some intercooler right angle pipes for fitting it all together.

Oh yeah also need to mount intercooler using some kind of fabbed bracket in from of radiator.

To be fair once the Exhaust manifold is modded it's just the downpipe.

I'll then start it up and see if it blows through.

Dave
jimmyted

Post by jimmyted »

Sounds like your getting close! Will be watching this space. I love the fact you’re doing it to a 1.6 too.

I’m a bit of a forced induction dummy to be honest, but sounds like the supercharged guys have got your back! I’ll back up what was previously said about altering the advance curve though. I had to retard the hell out of my 1.6 head on 2.0 combo, cos that just pinged and ran like crap with the standard advance curve. & I wasn’t trying to force anything!

Good luck.
DaveSimpy

Post by DaveSimpy »

Howdy,

I fitted this to a 1.6 cuz that's what I had in the engine bay. My reckoning was that all parts are bolt on so if I wanted to go 2.0 route it's an easy swap over and the hard work has already been done. Same goes with EFI as a further step down the road. The 1.6 revs nicely and I do like the idea of it having a little more kick with some low boost.

Exhaust manifold has now been changed to flange is closer to engine. Going to bolt it all together after work, looking like downpipe will now clear the steering coupling.

Refitted the dizzy last night. To be fair once it's bolted together and all vacuum lines are connected plus the oil feed and return connected up there is no reason I couldn't start it tonight.

I'll turn it over a few times with plugs disconnected to get oil flowing to a from the turbo. I will make sure the wastegate is pretty much open till I can fine tune boost.

Fingers are firmly crossed that the oil seal in the turbo is ok and doesn't kick out loads of smoke. The exhaust wouldn't be completely connected up so would make a right racket but for the sake of fun and encouragement I may go for it tonight. Or the light may fail and a walk to the pub might stop play :)

Either way i'll be happy :)
DaveSimpy

Post by DaveSimpy »

Here are some pics :

Flange has been brought closer to head so downpipe clears steering coupling.

Thinking of mounting intercooler up front in the space between fan\radiator assembly. I think I may drop the radiator down slightly so the pipes can easily clear the top. If anyone has any 90 degree 2" silicone coupling pipes please let me know. They are quite expensive!

Fuse holder and fuse that feeds from power in the engine bay through inertia switch to the fuel pump under the wheel well.

Malpassi carb turbo rising rate fuel regulator to ensure I receive fuel 1 PSI above boost.

Inertia switch for fuel cut out in case of an accident, this is off a land rover.

Fuel pressure gauge attached to return on carb. Return to tank now comes from fuel regulator. Fuel pressure is at 3.5 psi when pump is on, wired to ignition on.

Most work will now revolve around downpipe and mounting intercooler.
DaveSimpy

Post by DaveSimpy »

Bit more piping done.

scherrit
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri Laser 2.0 street sleeper.

Post by scherrit »

Looks great pretty inspiring!
DaveSimpy

Post by DaveSimpy »

Thanks! :D

Worth noting that I need to drop the radiator down a few inches so the boost pipes would clear the raditaor enabling the bonnet to shut. Ideally I would like to have the piping going round either side of the radiator but that would require a lot of pipe fab work at great cost for the same result.

Tonight I will be cutting the oil return pipe to the right length and routing past exhaust. Re-fitting wastegate to location higher up on turbo to clear oil return pipe, also lengthen wastegate actuator to hold open wastegate slightly to play it safe with boost on first run.

Might actually start it tonight :)

Dave
DaveSimpy

Post by DaveSimpy »

Hi guys,

Filled her back up with oil last night, finished securing main boost pipes with hose clips. Wastegate all attached and downpipe bolted on for testing ( still need to measure up a connecting piece to main exhaust).

Turned it over a couple of times with leads disconnected to spray the cam a bit. Connected up leads and turned over but no firing.

Battery started to die so it's been on charge today, ready for when I get back.

Was pretty dark by then and was raining. I will check static timing tonight and make sure all leads are securely pushed home. If that's no good then I will check for spark. I think it will just be a case of timing being out as I had to remove the dizzy.

Still need to connect up boost reference from fuel regulator to top hat to increase fuel pressure under boost. Also need to stick a boost gauge in. So if it does start tonight it won't boost as such as there are open connections on the top hat but it would be good to see the turbo spin and check for other leaks be it oil, water, vacuum etc

Cheers, Dave
BMWcapri
Car(s): BMW V8 powered '81 Calypso

Post by BMWcapri »

this is inspiring. if you get problems with the carb not fuelling properly then try a Renault 5 turbo carb, i've seen them still going well at over 200brake. What size is the turbo?
DCDave
Car(s): 82 Capri 2.8i 4sp
Integra type R

Post by DCDave »

Look forward to seeing this up and running, good work ;)
DaveSimpy

Post by DaveSimpy »

It lives!! :-)

Exhaust not connected up yet so makes a bit of a racket.

Video:
jimmyted

Post by jimmyted »

congrats Dave! Excellent stuff. You had it out for a test drive yet? Really piss off the neighbours ;)
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Craigorypeck wrote:Very nice! more details please.. spark control, fuelling etc
Just stick a compressor on it. That'll be Allright.
DaveSimpy

Post by DaveSimpy »

Hi Guys,

Not very exciting update but the welder welded up the down pipe last night that i'd cut and marked up.

Going to fit it tonight then do a bit of measuring done so I can order a reducer pipe off the net.

Cheers :)
scherrit
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri Laser 2.0 street sleeper.

Post by scherrit »

Wow! truly inspiring....
DaveSimpy

Post by DaveSimpy »

Hi Guys,

Another very small update. Modified brake servo brackets to bring servo closer to firewall thus clearing turbo. Need to pick up some locking nuts tonight so securely properly.

Waiting for connector reducer to arrive to join downpipe and exhaust system, hoping this comes tonight:)

Fed vacuum hose into cabin from top hat to go to boost gauge. Gauge looks cool in the cabin but also really important for me during the set up to make sure boost isn't too crazy and literally gauge if there are any boost leaks.

Need to get some DOT4 for master cylinder and make sure brakes work and assuming exhaust coupler turns up I may be able to drive this weekend :)

Oh yeah, also borrowed a very nice snap-on timing light from mate to make sure advance isn't too mental to guard against detonation.

I'll keep you posted :)

Dave
DaveSimpy

Post by DaveSimpy »

Hi Guys,

Realised I didn't answer a couple of questions.

BMWcapri, it's running a Garrett T3 which came off an old Fiesta RS. Carb seems to be fueling ok now.

jimmyted, No test drive just yet mainly cuz I need to fill the braking system back up. Will get that done soon as.

Tonight i'll get it warm so it actually runs without nursing then get the timing light on it. Then start measuring boost and make sure all safe before going for a test drive.

After dizzy modification I also need to see what the max advance is before boosting :)

Dave