capri 1.6GL bareshell rebuild

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL (restoration project)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (2000-2004)
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Re: capri 1.6GL bareshell rebuild

Post by ian_s »

Cheers buddy i am really excited about the new skills I'm learning that will help me complete this capri. Can't wait to upload the pictures for everyone to see.
Image One day she will be back in that field!!
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Headlamp bowls not as bad as I thought they may be. Tomorrow engine and gearbox are coming out!
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Ok so engine out gearbox out bonnet back on so good day all round but just had it topped off Nicely by speaking to an elderly lady. She was asking what the car was and told me she used to have a nice car but didn't know if she still had it in the garage because she hadn't been in there for years. So she took me to have a look. I was expecting either nothing there or an old austin of some description. Well there was a car and it was a reliant scimitar gte in mint condition! It had the last tax disc still in the window and it was from 1988! This thing was original unrestored condition and not a mark on it. It has made my day.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Sorry :sorry: . It has been 4 years since I last touched the capri as life took over :spank: . However we are now in a good place :cheese: and today I have ordered a new wing, wheel arch, sheet steel brakes discs pads drums etc... i am making certain parts myself of the original parts like the bumper brackets etc as the replacement parts are expensive and no longer handed. Plan is still to keep it as original as possible. I will add pictures shortly as work progresses.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Looking forward to seeing more.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

ian_s wrote: I will add pictures shortly as work progresses.
Nice project. Not that many GL's about, refreshing to see something different :goodluck:
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Ok so I have been slowly starting to make progress. I have started tackling jobs individually so that I'm not so overwhelmed with the task. I have been stripping rust from brackets and buying replacement parts for things that just didn't survive. I'm currently fabricating some new bumper brackets which I shall show you once I have worked out once again how to post pictures. I have painted up my bonnet stay and throttle bracket etc from the engine bay and over the next week I am removing the bonnet for repairs. Rust to the underside front lip will need a weld repair and the top edge has a crease in it. Overall though bonnet is not too bad. plan is remove strip weld fill paint. As i am having to keep the car outside i am doing a panel at a time then painting with primer and cellulose paint to protect it before replacing it back on the car. This will be in white although when it has its proper respray it will be back in its original graphite grey. :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
It's good to see that your project is still on the go. I look forward to seeing photos of work as the resto progresses.
ian_s wrote: once I have worked out once again how to post pictures.
I see that the last photos you posted to the forum were on Photobucket. Obviously, you can't use that method now so have a look at this thread for a how-to. Scroll down to the 7th post.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51472

Cheers,
Andrew.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Thanks. I am still having trouble though because it doesn't recognise the file type despite it being jpg.. Oh well some work. This is the throttle bracket and a few other bits from the last few days Image
The front bumper had suffered a few knocks so had to straighten it out.
All parts are wire brushed shot blasted or other abrasive then treated with rust killer before paint. I will upload more pictures when I work out what has gone wrong with them.
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Post by tazla »

Your doing a good job pal.i bet the neighbours love you haha.i remember grinding welds back in my garage at 10pm. :?
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

To be fair I think they want to see it done aswell. I just keep waking my kids that's all
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Although relatively straight it was clear on closer inspection the bumper had been used for its intended purpose at some point and the mounting brackets were buckled slightly. Nothing a bit of light feteling couldn't fix :boxing: . The end brackets were corroded but salvageable. I would at this stage have shown you the completed bumper however I did have a reaction with the top coat and have decided to start again :headscratch: . Pictures shall follow.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Looks like great work, look forward to seeing more, keep it up!
:cheers:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Thanks. I know they are little jobs at the minute but I shall be starting the body as soon as I can move it to a better position.
Another little job tonight
A better finish than I expected looking forward to seeing them on the bumper.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

All these little refurb jobs on small parts are a great way of sparing a project along.
I've refurbed loads of parts and have them all bagged, bubble wrapped or boxed in the house waiting for the day it's all banged back together :goodluck:

Oh, what happend to the old dear with the GTE in her shed?....... I'm intrigued :headscratch:
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Yeah I have just bought a big roll of bubble wrap. Been keeping boxes for ages for this. Well the gte is still there I'm waiting to see if it ever comes for sale. Although :D I need to make some room because I don't have much space left myself. I invested in a very cheap "sports car" that seems to be going under the radar for now and prices are dirt cheap. So bought it with hope they will go up and I can still go to some classic meets on the cheap Image
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

timfromull wrote:All these little refurb jobs on small parts are a great way of sparing a project along.
I've refurbed loads of parts and have them all bagged, bubble wrapped or boxed in the house waiting for the day it's all banged back together
:agree: It's a must doing this, wrote on every bag what every piece was too as you accumulate so many parts you can easily forget where they go.
ian_s wrote:Yeah I have just bought a big roll of bubble wrap. Been keeping boxes for ages for this. Well the gte is still there I'm waiting to see if it ever comes for sale. Although :D I need to make some room because I don't have much space left myself. I invested in a very cheap "sports car" that seems to be going under the radar for now and prices are dirt cheap. So bought it with hope they will go up and I can still go to some classic meets on the cheap Image
Nice buy by the looks, something to enjoy the summer shows in :cheers:
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Post by ian_s »

Cheers yeah unfortunately when I stripped the car I labelled up all the wiring and components however they didn't fair well and are no longer legible or have become detached altogether. This time I shall use a label printer or something. Luckily they are relatively straight forward cars though I'm guessing at some point I will be on here asking what this or that is :xd:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Great buy.....that looks a corker.
Been looking for a cheap classic myself, to get to a few shows and swap meets... although the commercial variety to double as a rolling bill board.
I fancy a P100 before they get too stupidly loaded with RS tax :ford: