2.9 Twin turbo project - Making manifolds

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Capri_Andy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Laser 2.9 efi resto (in many pieces)

2.9 Twin turbo project - Making manifolds

Post by Capri_Andy »

This is a long term project of mine, well actually it was just an expensive collection of parts until now but I've been doing the R&D for years. Things are starting to happen now that I'm making the turbo manifolds for my college engineering project and get to use the college machine shop for it.

I bought the turbos and intercoolers a few years ago. The brand new Borgwarner K16 turbos were a bargain, £150 badly listed on ebay as Bentley Continental turbos. They have VW/Audi part numbers but they dont match anything on the internet, the closest match is audi RS6. The twin intercoolers match the core size and shape of the 2.8 radiator so will fit neatly behind the grill.

Just trying it on for size...

The original plan was to build some basic log style manifolds and use xr4x4 Turbo Technics parts to handle the fuel and ignition, with a standard compression ratio the engine would be safe in the region of 225bhp. I bought the turbo technics parts which included the throttle body with 7th & 8th injectors which are controlled by a stand alone DCU.

This was the basic kind of turbo manifold I was going to build using stainless steel weld fittings.

Then the project evolved before it even started. I sold the 1980s TT stuff and I bought a Megasquirt ECU which would be a lot more reliable and tuneable than TT stuff. Also I found some low compression Turbo Technics cylinder heads on ebay and snapped those up so the engine will be less prone to detonation, blowing holes in the pistons. Now I had upped the game, with compression ratio and fuelling for over 300bhp with a set of saab aero fuel injectors, things got serious on the turbo manifold front...

The best manifold design for the most power with the least turbo lag is a tubular manifold with equal length runners and a proper 3 into 1 merge collector. I did a lot of sketchs on paper of different designs until I found something that worked and put it into a Solidworks CAD drawing.
The drawing is based on measurements I took from the cylinder head and the pipe specifications so this proves that it's possible to build in real life and provides me with the angles and lengths for every pipe that I need to cut.

And this is what I have so far...

For 2 manifolds it needs 1 meter of straight pipe and 12 90degree elbows which need cutting down to specific angles.

I machined the pipes for the collectors on the college milling machine.

This is how they fit together inside.

More soon.
Last edited by Capri_Andy on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The big fast red one!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Re: 2.9 Twin turbo project - Making manifolds

Post by Ghia15 »

Great work there Andy.

I am really looking forward to seeing this beast on the road.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Looks impressive, how's the rest of the car coming along?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Yeeeeessssssss! nice one, love a good engineering thread.
:spam:
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Capri_Andy wrote:I machined the pipes for the collectors on the college milling machine

You jammy young pup
nigecapri wrote:and spent a morning hacksawing it to bits.

Capri_Andy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Laser 2.9 efi resto (in many pieces)

Post by Capri_Andy »

Thanks guys. No progress on the rest of the car, works ground to a halt again because I need to spend more time on college assignments. Here's a little more on the manifolds though...

The method for marking out for cutting pipes at angles.

Turning down the short sections on the lathe to the correct size, also for cutting a chamfer to aid welding penetration.

All the stock I need has been purchased. They are 316 stainless steel sch10 elbows from http://www.allstainlessltd.co.uk/
OCD much?

Most of the pipes are done. I sellotaped it together!

I still need to make the flanges. The plan is to use my CAD drawing to get them cut on the CNC mill.
The big fast red one!
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Post by Beakster »

Fantastic work :D
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Your so lucky having access to that equipment! I got a vice, hacksaw and file.. lol.
Good going so far m8. Top marks.
:spam:
BMWcapri
Car(s): BMW V8 powered '81 Calypso

Post by BMWcapri »

Fantastic design and fabrication on those manifolds, can't wait to see more :)

Are you sticking with the standard CR and pistons or going to low-comp forged pistons?

How much boost are you going to run? Great project :applaud: