Cosmetic Rot repair help!

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
APurcell92
Car(s): Ford Capri Mk3 laser 1.6

Cosmetic Rot repair help!

Post by APurcell92 »

Hey gang, I recently looked at the 1.6 LS capri i could be purchasing in a short time, and there are two spots of real rot going on, one in the drivers side foot well behind the pedals and the passanger side door, ill include pictures so you know where I mean.

Could these by repaired by home via grinding down to its bare metal again and using fibreglass filler and hardener? or is the damage to extensive and will need welding?

Many thanks!

Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Re: Cosmetic Rot repair help!

Post by Ghia15 »

The door pillar will need welding to get it through the MOT.

That will require the dorr off and possibly the wing. To get the door off will require removal of part of the dash to get access to the hinges.

The drivers floor should be welded bu if it hasn't put a hole through then grind it back and treat it with rust killer before primering with a zinc primer and paint.

I would be worried about The door pillar, also known as the A pillar, as that would be hard to repair and expensive for a garage to do it if they would even take it.

How much is the car advertised for?
APurcell92

Post by APurcell92 »

Looking at about £600 advertised :|
Capri_Andy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Laser 2.9 efi resto (in many pieces)

Post by Capri_Andy »

That is some major A-pillar rust! Don't buy it, that's going to end up being a full on restoration project as soon as you take the wings off and discover all kinds of horrors.
The big fast red one!
APurcell92

Post by APurcell92 »

Yeah ive decided to forget it

unless i got the car for like £100 and then spent £500 on repairing that rust i dont really want to know how far the rabbit hole goes with that one. :banghead:

oh well! time to put up a wanted thread in the sales area!!

Cheers guys many thanks