the 3 ltr s project begins

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
simon.rob
Car(s): ford capri 3.0s ongoing restoration, white 2.8 injection and daily driver is a 2.0 seat leon fr

Re: the 3 ltr s project begins

Post by simon.rob »

carb off, main halves seem well stuck together, 'thermostat'? centre bolt has been sheered in the past but not sure if itll cause too many problems ?

had a go at cleaning up anti roll bar and bumpers tonight, couple of bumper bolts are well and truly stuck, will get some plus gas friday and see if a good spray will do any good.
simon.rob
Car(s): ford capri 3.0s ongoing restoration, white 2.8 injection and daily driver is a 2.0 seat leon fr

Post by simon.rob »

sunny day = more work :D

simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

more work tonight almost finished carb, the upper most flaps dont seem to be tensioned, is that anything to do with the throttle cable ?

simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

ok does anyone know where to get a 38 dgas carb manual choke ? iv only seen them advertised with the carb as a whole ?

cheers

si
mini
Car(s): mk3 capri 2.0 zetec laser

Post by mini »

they pop up time to time on ebay but very ££££, i am running mine with no choke at all starts fine remember to block up the auto choke hole.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Whats up with the auto choke anyway?
I've got a spare one in my garage, but it may just need setting up properly.
If you want to bring the whole carb over (or to work) then I can take a look for you??
simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

i sheared the bolt holding on the bi metal spring :( worried might get a water leak as theres no seal under the bolt head now ..what you reckon ?

managed to straighten out(ish) and clean up the throttle lever bracket and put it back on, waiting for trailer to have new wheels then i can get the engine block over to my cousins to hopefully sort :D

is your gear lever still up for grabs martin ?

cheers

si
simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

ok time for an update!

thanks to martin carburettor is functional just needs setting up when engine in.

random parts have arrived such as s stripe kit, poly bushes for rear stabalizer bar, new throttle cable, ford logo badge and car cover.

sorted the front over rider blocks rubbed down and painted gloss black.

rocker covers - experimented with electrolysis, and by joe it worked!! left only loose surface corrosion and everything else went to the black neutral compound, gave em a rub down and painted them up. also used gunk spray on grease remover and a brush to clean all oil off them, worked a treat!

so, some pics :)

electrolysis!
and afterwards....if u can see, red gunge on top

bumpers are next and engine bits that i can do before its sent off for recon :)
simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

clutch kit ordered :D :guitar:
simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

ok question is..what wheels ? need some advice with pros and kons ?

polished wide superlite alloys?
4 spoke rs alloys ?
fork out for some 7 spoke 280 alloys ?
Jake

Post by Jake »

7 spokes all the way! :)
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Lookin good! I was surprised at how well the electrolysis worked too! My sump came up tops. :D as for wheels a 3.0 always look good with minilites. Thing is every conts got them!
:spam:
simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

everyone says 7 spokes have better handling because of the low profile tyres on the 15'' but i like the look of the minilites....ok ruling out the 4 spokes ...minilites or 15'' 7 spokes ? :headscratch:
simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

and yeah cheers buddy! will be using electrolysis on a few more parts i think! espesh engine bits, anti roll bar eye ends and bumper brackets will try do them while weathers good :D

:woot:
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

If you want to put on big brakes the 15s will be better but an S looks best on 13s all old skool fords do!
:spam:
simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

yeah fair one, not gona be an easy decision, got to decide between handling or aesthetics hmmmm :headscratch:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Looks or performance?
Always a trade-off!
Take another look at my 2.8i sitting on 13" 7-spokes.
I personally like that small wheel look and let's not forget that Capri suspension was designed for them. That's why you get a worse ride in a 280, they were never designed to use such low profile tyres. Capri suspension relies on the tyre wall giving a bit too.
And I've had Princess 4-pots on for years and never had any complaints.
Let's face it, if you need to stamp on bigger brakes then 99% of the time it's cos you weren't reading the road well enough.
Try getting through a decent few flowing bends just using the throttle and no brakes. Harder to get right, but much smoother and ultimately more satisfying cos you come out the other side knowing you're a better driver than the guy who overheated his brakes just to be a second quicker than you!

On your 3 litre I'd go for deep dish 13" minilites. Always look good!

But then......there's probably no other wheel that's easier to keep clean than a Capri 7-spoke
simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

yeah lots of good points there, i really do like the minilits, gives the 3 litre a more distinctive look ...

ok after looking round for a bit iv found some, on ebay from r and r alloys, silver hi-lite polish come with centre caps and nuts, iv spoken to him on the phone and gona order them 2moro :D the extra night shifts will pay for them :)

cheers guys!

si
simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

alloys :D

and clutch kit :)

simon.rob

Post by simon.rob »

ok so been waiting just a little while for it to be sprayed so im gona try get the shell back to mine and do a final prep so it is ready for top coat after primer,

the primer currently used is 2 tone primer, i that ok or should i redo it in etched primer if its possible ?

engine sent off to be done apparently looks as though its already been bored out to a 3.1 ?

off to ford fair sunday should be good! :D

thanks for looking!

si