Another of Stocks engine builds..... The HEMI

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Another of Stocks engine builds..... The HEMI

Post by STOCK...tm »

Before we start.... anybody who knows me knows Im an engine builder...... there has been plenty of threads on here with some Ive done..... Even though my last few engine builds have been pintos or the odd cologne V6 at heart Im a V8 kinda guy....... and because of that I know the HEMI V8 is the dogs bollox :cool:

This engine build is for me..... not that i have anything to fit it in......but 'hey'....who cares.... its a HEMI !

So, what did i go for.....?

Introducing the Daimler 2.5 litre V8...................... HEMI

Above is the 'ebay' photo of the engine I bought..... As seen, the carbs,dizzy and oil feed pipes are missing... but ... its worth a risk...its worth a bid!

And i won...... for a good price :applaud:

Picked up and brought home..... lets take a look,,,

As collected, inlet manifold removed..... cant really see the use for fitting twin 's.u's'.... it can go on ebay!

The sump is the right way round for the capri crossmember..... and its an ally sump :cool:
Time to remove those exhaust manifolds.......

Both inlet and exhaust manifolds came off as easy as the day they were put on!

The diameter of the exhaust ports is actually bigger than the inlets...... just how it should be..... the ports may look small...but hey, each bank of cylinders is only 1250cc !

For an engine thats probably 50 years old I was surprized how 'readable' the engine number is.....and the fact it was highlighted in white!

The important part...the HEMI heads..... and they are ally..... what more could a person want!

The inlet is a simple layout.... there is no water ways or exhaust crossover... all that the inlet manifold does is feed the inlet ports..... and as im going to make my own inlet setup its a big plus point!

The clean up has begun....and so far its looking good!
Image ImageImage
snizeldelabmx
Car(s): mk3 capri cabaret II

Re: Another of Stocks engine builds..... The HEMI

Post by snizeldelabmx »

looking foward to this!

what kind of power does it give?
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Post by STOCK...tm »

snizeldelabmx wrote:looking foward to this!

what kind of power does it give?

I think from the factory they rated them at 140 hp on twin SU carbs.......

But... I know of one fitted to a little dragster, the bottom end relativley standard but it was supercharged and running nitromethane....... it made around 1500 hp....

This engine is basically a scaled down chrysler HEMI.... and looking at the quality of the castings etc..... its better made than your average pinto......

To sum things up..... if you know about V8's you will know that a nitro hemi (around 7 -8 litres) will make around 5000-8000 hp...... it does this due to being such a good design.....a design from the 50's...... its still used today..... The little Daimler maybe down on CC but everything else fits the recipe for big power..... and as a bonus its got ally heads (no yank V8's come wit them....but are desirable..and expensive) and even the sump is ally...... I like ally... it polishes up!
Image ImageImage
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

Curiosity has got the better of me after seeing the condition of the rear cam lobe through the dizzy hole...... it looked perfect..... i have a hunch this engine dates from 1968,,, so no spring chicken...

Decided I had to remove a head and take a peep..... these engines used to suffer from excessive corrosion of the waterways in the head.....so at this age a big gamble!

I havent any history about this motor...... so it was always gonna be a risk as it could be fooked... so when I removed the N,S head I was quite surprized..... :o

There looks to be no wear on the bores..... all i did was wipe over with an oily rag......

And heres the head.... looking into the water passages they are like new.....
Inlet valves are 39mm , exhausts are 37mm.... and really good ports..... and combustion chamber design..... and unleaded friendly valve seats apparently .

The bores shown signs of honing marks....and the piston crowns dont have a carbon build up that would be expected from an engine with some miles under its belt...

I suspect its been rebuilt at some point and dne very little since..... BONUS!
Image ImageImage
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Looking promising then. Hope the other bank is just as good :)
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

Peter-S wrote:Looking promising then. Hope the other bank is just as good :)
Knowing my luck ots probably scrap!! :crying:

But..... if its as good then its (a) a bloody miracle (b) great for my plan......

Thinking of doing a two part build...... if the engine proves to be rebuilt recently (if you know what i mean...been dry stored 15 years) then im going to take all the measurements and photo's etc so i can find all the parts/ custom make all the parts to make a nitro burner...... yep, nitromethane :twisted: how could i not.....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04-eHQBm6J8

But.... if all is well im gonna build it up relativley standard...... except for inlet setup etc...just to have it up and running..... i cant wait to fire it up.... so probably some high comp pistons and a four twin choke carb setup for now....... but... i will be looking into a custom camshaft and a supercharger setup for its final build :cool:
Image ImageImage
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

Decided to remove the second head tonight...after the amazing condition of the first head i was pretty sure the removal of head 2 would blow the run of good luck out of the ground! :python:

So................ pulled it off and...............

Pretty much like the other bank of cylinders.....no apparent wear..... and the head.....

Pretty much the same condition as the first..... will give a proper wash off and inspection soon.... but so far its looking good :cool:

Image ImageImage
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Its gonna be a belter!!!
:spam:
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

Well..... after the good news when i removed the second head then surely there must be something about to go 'tits up'....

Tonight I decided to remove the front pulley and timing cover..... will be a few years since they were removed...

Well...... removed the crank pulley nut and just as the Haynes manual states.... "Simply remove...." the crank pulley slipped off...... :shock:

So...the timing chain cover came off next....... I was kinda expecting a wanked out timing chain.....

With timing cover removed meant the valley cover/cam follower housing could be removed to reveal the camshaft.........

Looking good....... first impression of the cam is good :cool: Look a little closer and the cam lobes are good....no wear ridges.....just some light scoring ...very light.

So far so good..... so what are the cam followers like??

Initial inspection and its looking good :D

Image ImageImage
jimmyted
Car(s): ford capri 1.6L - now 2.0L

Post by jimmyted »

I. WANT. ONE. Looks fantastic. Glad to hear everything's in good shape.
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

jimmyted wrote:I. WANT. ONE. Looks fantastic. Glad to hear everything's in good shape.

Im going to remove the sump tomorrow..... see how the crank is but to be honest i really dont expect to find much wrong....... even the outside is in good nick when the quarter inch of crud has been washed off......

The sump should polish up a treat.....as will the heads and the oil filter housing..... Rocker covers (yet to get some) are ally too :cigar: Ive also found a nice metalic blue for the block..... :guitar:

As for wanting one....... i want another .....or ten, but...think this ones a fluke.....most rotted the heads away from the inside out :shock:
Image ImageImage
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

As most things will need to be custom made its nice that things are so simple.... for example, im going to have to fit a gearbox...... this is the plate bolted to the back of the block...

A good hefty bit of steel..... and behind it leaves space for a different bell housing bolt pattern...

Also nice to see the flywheel is double doweled ....

Likewise Im going to be making my own exhaust manifolds..... below is one of the gaskets, handy template for making a pair of manifold flanges to work from ...

Im looking forwards to getting the sump off..... rumour has it that the have a steel crank and rods..... big bonus if true :cool:
Image ImageImage
mickycapri
Car(s): ford capri mk3 2.0 laser called vicky

Post by mickycapri »

you either paid a fair bit of money for it or you are the luckiest SOB on earth... i guarantee that if i bought an engine it'd explode into a pile of rust and goo the second i touch it lol

can't wait to see it running and in a capri, get some big drag wheels fitted when the time comes. can you stick a big ass blower on it? :lowrider:
The perils of rock N' roll decadence (axl rose is god)
Matty28i
Car(s): Mk3 2.8i not a 2.8i any more... 2.9 24V BOB Long Term Project.

Mk3 1.6LS Now 2.0lt powered 4 speed rocket box. Work in progress daily driver.

Post by Matty28i »

Looking promising so far.

As for gearboxes think Jag / Landrover, belhousings. As and when the time comes I can check both of the above options as both are easy to find local to me.

Have a look at the link below for inspiration as to the finished engine.

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=9066

Matty
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

Well............. tonight I decided that the sump had to come off..... and what a nice sump it is :cool:

So....un bolted the sump and with a gentle tap it came straight off....... thats everything I have removed so far ...nothing has been hard work ... The sump...... as removed.... nice to see its baffled...

Well................. with sump removed I could finally view the crank........ and like everything else its in excellent condition....... I removed a big end cap just to see the condition of the big end bearings....... and they could be re-used....... thats how good they are and im fussy !

So thats the basic clean/strip down for initial inspection.....and so far its looking better than good...... I would say it has less than 40 thousand miles on it...... good start for a race engine....

As for inspiration.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04-eHQBm6J8

I will be going the supercharged route!
Image ImageImage
mini
Car(s): mk3 capri 2.0 zetec laser

Post by mini »

looking like a honey mate, keep up the good work
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

mickycapri wrote:you either paid a fair bit of money for it or you are the luckiest SOB on earth... i guarantee that if i bought an engine it'd explode into a pile of rust and goo the second i touch it lol

can't wait to see it running and in a capri, get some big drag wheels fitted when the time comes. can you stick a big ass blower on it? :lowrider:

I paid £155 for it................ a total bargain.......and an excellent basis for a race engine...... it will be finally built for methanol....and it will be running a supercharger.......but ffirstly i would like to get it running while i find the parts needed for its final build........ im thinking four twin choke down draughts and high compression :cigar:
Image ImageImage
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

decided to remove the pistons and rods today..... the bores look unworn yet the pistons show a little wear.... but the rings look good!

I havent come across much info on these engines but i have read that the crank and rods are steel..... and they certainly look that way :cool:

Image ImageImage
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

Tonight after work it was time to remove the crank....... the removal of the pistons/rods had shown the big end journals to be a little worn...... no big deal really.... so I gently bent back all the lock tabs (Every nut and bolt has a lock tab!) and loosened the main bearing bolts...

With the caps off and the crank out the inside of the crankcase could be inspected.....

As seen..... the bores have a 'liner' fitted ....i dont know if thats from new or the block has been reconditioned..... there seems very little bore wear ..... has it been 'sleeved' back to standard??

The block exterior has only been quickly washed off with thinners..... but for an engine which i think is 43 years old its in amazing condition..... remember that 80.000 mile cologne i built??

So far the strip down has shown very little wear and generally very clean inside........ looking at the design of the block it seems that the area under the cam...and above the crank is always filled with oil.... so basically the cam will pick up a little oil from it...would explain the totally unworn cam.... but...... it appears to be where all the engine crud collects....

So..... there is a little work to do.... it wants the crank regrinding..... and some new shell bearings to suit..... and i think thats about it.... Im yet to strip the oil pump.....but..... im hoping its ok..... no reason why it shouldnt be.... its also the most expensive item to buy new for it./..over 400 quid for a new one ! :shock:

Below is the crank...... what a bonus...its steel...so should withstand some high RPM's !

Now the big clean up begins!
Image ImageImage
mickycapri
Car(s): ford capri mk3 2.0 laser called vicky

Post by mickycapri »

£155???? christ almighty!!! in that condition too!! you got some spare luck i can borrow?
The perils of rock N' roll decadence (axl rose is god)