My ebay engine

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Re: My ebay engine

Post by Craigorypeck »

Peter, I have what looks like the exact same marking on mine!?!

:proof:

:spam:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Bit more cleaning up on the head.
Valves about done and waiting

Cleaned up the manifold faces and added a little insert colour courtesy of some bbq paint in the cupboard

Cleaned up the rocker gasket mating face

Removed the cam seal

and fitted a Ford replacement

Also cleaned up the cam belt tensioner

ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Post by STOCK...tm »

i have seen the 'punch' mark on a few heads now...on ones that could possibly be unleaded due to age...... my theory is that if an unleaded head is recon properly then all mating faces will be skimmed for trueness.... the unleaded stamp can be really faint meaning it will be machined away with the lightest pass of a surface grinder.... maybe these heads had the punch mark to 'mark' them??
Image ImageImage
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

A bit more cosmetic progress.

Lifting brackets were suitably cruddy

but cleaned up reasonably well

Cleaned the sump bolts and gave them a coat of lacquer. Probably won't last but ...

Started to clean the washers too

Rocker box wasn't too impressive

Took the wire brush and drill to it then gave it some rust treatment

Won't win any prizes but hasn't come up too badly

jimmyted
Car(s): ford capri 1.6L - now 2.0L

Post by jimmyted »

This thread is brilliant Peter! I've been keeping an eye on it and can't believe the before - after difference. What tools/chemicals have you been using to clean everything up? I've heard those wire brush drill attachment jobbies are pretty good..
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

jimmyted wrote:This thread is brilliant Peter! I've been keeping an eye on it and can't believe the before - after difference. What tools/chemicals have you been using to clean everything up? I've heard those wire brush drill attachment jobbies are pretty good..
Thanks Jim, kind of you to say so :D
The rust treatment is Metal Ready which I get from Frost. Spray it on, leave a while then wash with clean water to neutralize. Seems pretty good.
Tools are all fairly ordinary. A cordless drill with various sanding discs and wire wheels, the most effective of which was in a set from a £1 store!, wire wool and wet n' dry paper The porting has been done with different shape grinding stones in the drill and then I bought a set of burrs from ebay. I also have some smaller stones and brushes that came with a dremel type drill.
A small palm sander has proved quite useful in cleaning up the manifold mating faces.
Grease and other cleaning has been done with gunk, thinners and WD40.
The fuel pump I've just started cleaning with aluminium oxide paper and Brasso wadding

Painting is mostly U-Pol and Halfords stuff. Coated the rocker in petrol resistant lacquer this evening but progress stops for a week off now :)

jimmyted

Post by jimmyted »

thanks for the info Peter. Good luck with getting it up and running before CRaP! Are you keeping the standard cam or going for something a bit livelier?
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

Really good read there Peter. I've got an old block I want to re-hone and get up and running, so nice to see in picture form what is involved.

I will no doubt be pestering you at Crap about it.

Rich
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

jimmyted wrote:thanks for the info Peter. Good luck with getting it up and running before CRaP! Are you keeping the standard cam or going for something a bit livelier?
I'm running a piper 270 at the moment Jim and I'll be putting that in the head that I've just ported.
Really good read there Peter. I've got an old block I want to re-hone and get up and running, so nice to see in picture form what is involved.

I will no doubt be pestering you at Crap about it.

Rich
Thanks Rich. Hopefully I'll be able to report that it was all worth the effort :)

A holiday and a spot of 'man flu' have kept me out of the garage but I'#ve cleaned up a couple more bits and freshened up the spare manifold.

Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Head's cleaned but can't put the valves in as I need the cam that's in the car now

Dug out a spare alternator

and freshened it up a little

Then I remembered I had a shiny dipstick tube from Stock but was worried it was too short compared to the one I'd removed

but the dipstick in the car now is a good bit shorter than the one on this engine. Don't know what that's all about but I'll just use the shorter stick as that is the right length ro the shiny tube

Then fitted a brand new push rod for the fuel pump

and this is where its at

Just need to find time to actually swap the engines now :roll:
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Post by STOCK...tm »

Looking good there Peter :cool:
Image ImageImage
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Well, this is the 'big' weekend. T'other half seems keen for this to be completed so she phoned round to find an engine hoist for hire to make sure! Picked it up first thing this morning.
So, car nosed into garage

Battery out and on charge, just in case!

Strut brace, rad etc out

All bolts removed and lifting commenced

Didn't want to remove the bonnet so a broom was wedged in to give a bigger opening but still a tight fit

and then it was out

Removed the clutch and flywheel to reveal a nice oil leak :roll:

Bit worried about the flywheel at first as it didn't look too good

But its a lightened item that I want to keep

Cleaned it up and gave it a going over with a fine wetstone and it seems fine with no crazing, just a bit of staining so put it on the rebuilt engine

As I need to strip the old head of the camshaft etc I thought I'd put just the bottom half in the car first then at least the hoist can go back

After a bit of cursing and a bruised nail it was all mated up

So I cleaned the dizzy ready to put back tomorrow

Hopefully the hardest part is done but took a good deal longer than Glyn and Phil's engine swap in a field last year.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Head ready for stripping

Valves in the new head

springs and colletts fitted

Gasket in place

Then it ball slowed down. Seemed to take an age to swap all the manold studs, clean stuff up, set the valve gaps etc so didn't get to start it today :( Getting there though

Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Took the hoist back this morning and chatting to the guy in the shop it turned out he was a big Capri fan and had owned several over the years including an RS3100 which he regrets selling!

Back home this evening I got most of the engine back together than cranked the engine without plugs to make sure the oil was Flowing.

New rocker gasket

Then filled it with water and found that th ethermostat housing that I had polished up had a pin hole leak in it and was pissing water out the side :(

So I got the one off the engine that I had been using and started to clean the scale off the inside and that had a bloody hole too :x

I had to dig out my plumber's trug and found some of that epoxy chemical metal stuff that you can use on water tanks etc and I've reinforced the housing from the inside. Should be OK but I'll let it cure over night.
I wante dto know if the engine ran though so jumped in the car and cranked it over - nothing!
Cranked it over again and ..... she lives :D
It was a bit chuggy and wouldn't really idle but its only set at staic timing at the moment but sounded OK when revved. I'll change the stat housing tomorrow and then I can run it up to temp and put the strobe on it.

Last edited by Peter-S on Tue May 10, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Post by Beakster »

Great work Peter, looking really nice. :D If the chemical metal doesn't hold you could always bling it up with one of these: http://www.burtonpower.com/ft1072b.html
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Beakster wrote:Great work Peter, looking really nice. :D If the chemical metal doesn't hold you could always bling it up with one of these: http://www.burtonpower.com/ft1072b.html
Thanks Chris.
Had reason to recall your 2.o woes yesterday. Running it up to temp I started to get a squeal. Took the fan belt off in case it was fan or alternator related but the squeal was still there coming from the front of the cam. Being a twat I'd used the wrong size screw on the oil bar and pinched the bearing. Fortunately I got away without the melting pot that you had.

Changed the bearing and ran it up to temp this evening and something else started knocking and clonking. Thought it might be a tappet coming loose and took the rocker cover off but all was OK. Then noticed the fan belt was loose. I hadn't tightened the four bolts that hold the fan pulley on and it was wobbling all over the place :o

Anyway, got there eventually, set the timing at 14 degrees tweaked the carb a little and went for a spin. It's going to need some more tinkering and probably a proper tune but it sure feels like it could be quite entertaing :D
jimmyted

Post by jimmyted »

Bloodyhell Peter! I've only been off the forum for a few weeks, and you've almost got the job done! Cracking effort. Makes my 6 - 7 month slog doing pretty much the same thing look a bit daft! I got one of those dipstick tubes off Stock as well, and I ended up using the dipstick from the original 1.6 engine as the 2.0 one was too long.