My Long Term 2.8i Restoration Pictures

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Matty28i
Car(s): Mk3 2.8i not a 2.8i any more... 2.9 24V BOB Long Term Project.

Mk3 1.6LS Now 2.0lt powered 4 speed rocket box. Work in progress daily driver.

My Long Term 2.8i Restoration Pictures

Post by Matty28i »

Well it's about time I got some pictures of the long term rebuild that's an ongoing project.

Here's a couple of pictures from when the car was on the road I'm guessing about from about 4 years ago, when I was still using it.

Repair pictures to follow.

Matty
Matty28i

Re: My Long Term 2.8i Restoration Pictures

Post by Matty28i »

First job was the bit that always goes i.e. the lower rear quarter panels.

I've only got pictures of the LHS repairs underway unless I can find more on my old computer, when it's fixed.

Now as for the other side of the car the reason I may have no pictures of that side is because a cutting disc exploded on the grinder I was using. I remember looking down and seeing the disk stuck in my chest and waiting for blood to apear! It hurt like f**k but could have been worse.

It was the week after Steve Irwin was Killed by the Stingray.

Awayway that might have been why I failed to take more pictures that day. Car was still on the road, as a rolling resto at this point.

Matty
Matty28i

Post by Matty28i »

Pictures from when the car, first came of the road. For what I thought was going to be a quick going over. I.E. a couple of wings & some minor repairs.

It got put on the back burner and a Landover 90" Defender was built from the ground up. The Chassis has about 8 days of my labour in it just to that stage. New out riggers and rear chassis laser aligned and welded in place. And before anyone asks no the rear chassis parts don’t fit straight on!

Another year of Saturdays and the completed Defender was finished and out of the door, stone chipped and painted the same colour as the bodywork on the underside as the top.

The Landrover rebuild, had upped the game a bit as far as the quality levels required on this rebuild. I'll upload some build pictures.

Last picture of the Capri shows why the carpet was wet on the drivers side. The hidden section of the front cill, had rotted away. Splash gaurd hidding the rot from the Mot tester.

I'll see what early strip down and repair pictures I can find and update. At this point it must have been approximately 2007.

Matty
MinesGT
Car(s): 2008 Bullit Mustang, Capri 32V V8 X Pack

Post by MinesGT »

Nice sized garage mate, does this mean you are starting back on the cappa?
Matty28i

Post by Matty28i »

MinesGT wrote:Nice sized garage mate, does this mean you are starting back on the cappa?
Hi Kev,

Yes the long term project is now back on the go. I got it up in the air properly last weekend and am in the process of stripping the old ziebart off the floor pans.

Front inner wings have, previously been stripped to bare metal blasted, primed and stone chipped. Just final engine bay mockup before they are finally getting top coated.

Hopefully not too much welding left on the shell, then I can get round to "Rear Axle Location", "Final Mock Up of Mechanicals", then last of "Bodywork and Paint".

I'm lucky to have use of a friends workshop in return for help/work on his projects. Another Land Rover, from a bare chassis is now on the go.

I've also started on the Blue LS Body Work, but I'm keeping that as a rolling resto.

I'll sort the full set of pictures soon and get them posted.

Matty
Matty28i

Post by Matty28i »

Well I'll start to update this a bit, original progress pictures from the last thread are temporally lost on a dead computer but I can get them up at a later date. Some also were on a phone that is not possible to retrieve pictures from.

Anyway a much overdue update of pictures to current state of play.

Cars were moved around and a Landrover 90 was rebuilt etc...

Last time the long term project has seen the light of day.

It then got pushed into it's resting place, but it has progressed a fair bit form the last post. The front inner wings were taken back to bare metal, blasted and rust treated, welded where required, primed and painted. Ziebart was a nightmare to remove.

Part way through the LHS inner wing picture.

RHS inner wing needed a new front section of the cill, so that was made from by hand. It started as a Transit Wing remnant. No shrinking tools hence the pie cuts and welds.

It's not been dressed or fitted at this stage but started out as flat plate and hand formed.

Matty

More to follow in a few minutes.....
Matty28i

Post by Matty28i »

Panel fitted and RHS stripped and blasted.

Engine got pulled out and another went in the bay, it was a low milage car to start with.
56K and a fully rebuilt top end.

The LHS door was mint. only to be ruined by the courier's dropping the box. The rear lip was bent at 90 degrees and a very well known supplier was horrified at what the couriers had done.

I was offered a full refund with postage paid etc, I've sorted the damage out myself. The door skin didn't need much work though. As can be seen later.

RHS nearly sorted

Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Looking good Matty.
Still going to be the blue one for Crap in July though?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Matty28i

Post by Matty28i »

Peter,

I should have one sorted by then LOL, Probably the blue one or one of the black one's.

Matty
butler2.8i

Post by butler2.8i »

Cracking work Matty
Matty28i

Post by Matty28i »

About time I update this. The car is now running as of today on bob. and photo fuck it has stopped working so no pics for now.

I will have to redo the links if I've still got access to the pictures and add the bit's that haven't been shown.

Matty
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Matty28i wrote:About time I update this. The car is now running as of today on bob. and photo fuck it has stopped working so no pics for now.

I will have to redo the links if I've still got access to the pictures and add the bit's that haven't been shown.

Matty
Been a long time Matt, glad you've got somewhere at last. Pics would be good or come and say hello at camp in July :)
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Matty28i

Post by Matty28i »

Peter-S wrote:
Matty28i wrote:About time I update this. The car is now running as of today on bob. and photo fuck it has stopped working so no pics for now.

Matty
Been a long time Matt, glad you've got somewhere at last. Pics would be good or come and say hello at camp in July :)
Hi Pete

Yes it's been a while since I've called down that way.

A luntic was shooting at police officers at this end.

Kind of fell out with the car show's after that weekend. Loads of missed calls on way home. But non answered on ring back and no clue as to what was gong on. No radio in that car.

And it was the last show. I went to with Ian Dixey & Mark.

But I have plugged away for year's on the rebuild of the 2.8i. A little bit each weekend.

Will be finished as and when.

Matty