upgrading from standard!

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
millertime

upgrading from standard!

Post by millertime »

ive got a 2.0 S, matte black which i purchased a few months ago now.

im LOVING it, but the paint job is shoddily done and also im used to the car now, so i think im ready for a bit more power/speed!

can you tell me first things first for improving power/speed?

the original loan i had for first car is due up soon so i was planning on buying a new car with the freed up finance, but think id rather borrow more and spend it on the capri, which deserves it!

only prob is i dont have a clue what im talking about, so im needing guidance from step 1!!

also wantin the interior done. possible leather seats...or half and half a la those alcantara ones.

dont suppose anyone knows anyone who sells them 2nd hand to avoid the inflated cost of brand new ones?

anyone ot a good site where i can go to view everything capri...external and internal for buying?

want it resprayed, POSSIBLY an x pack kit on it too but first of all i want the mechanics of it working soundly.

if i have a 2 litre s, what can i add to it to give it some more power without having to change engines? or is changing engines the best way to go?

would an ashley manifold to go with my ashley system make a difference for a start?

ive really got a budget of about £800, is this not really enough for what i want?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: upgrading from standard!

Post by Peter-S »

You'll get a small improvement off a decent 4 branch manifold and 2" system but nothing dynamic. As Dave Smoke 'Em is keen to point out the extra power in a pinto is in the head. You can do a lot with a head but if you are a bit of a novice I'd just start with upping the spec of the camshaft. An FR32 is a common upgrade, typically with a skim to the head and perhaps twin 40 carbs but to get the most you will want it properly set up on a rolling road.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: upgrading from standard!

Post by Major_Tom »

Also you've got to think about what you want the car for.

For a daily driver you might want a milder spec than something which you only use at the weekends.

And for a track car you'll want something which is rubbish on the road basically.

As Peter says, the Kent FR32 cam is a good start. Four branch manifolds work more efficiently the higher the engine speed. With the standard twin choke Weber, a four branch and an FR32 mine made 131bhp, thirty over standard, all for about £150 including the rolling road.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.