New Project Starting I think!

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
themelv
Car(s): 1986 1.6 Laser, modern wheels, bullet mirrors, mk1 mirrors

New Project Starting I think!

Post by themelv »

After a few days, buying a new car shakedown, heres a list of things I now need to remedy and any help would be great.

1. Headlights are crapi and need updating, I was thinking LED sidelights and HID bulbs??

2. Fronts brakes need something doing with them, gonna start with new discs and pads and braided hoses.

3. After listening to a couple of people and the noise they make on full lock TCA's will need replacing.

4. Need to replace/redo 2 patchs on the inner wings, only kit kat sized.

5. Want to lose the side reapeters altogether, maybe badges from a MK1 ?

6. Rev counter doesn't work need to find someone who knows exactly where its connected and what colours the wires are before I start tearing the dash out!

7. Oil level switch, (Down near the sump on the RHD) isn't connected to anything and I have no red light when the ignition is on either! Where does this connect to?

8. Tickover hunts a little bit but car always runs well on the move?

9. Really want to install a 2.0 lump so anyone has one cheap let me know.

10. Need to sort the interior, do something to go with the retro look I'm after.

11. Passenger side mirror is a bullet but theres not enough adjustment to see anything in it.

12. Air Filter and 4 branch exhaust.

13. Finnally (for now) I really need to sort the rear axle out! Its noisy as hell and I'm loathe to make any long distance trips with it! I've changed the oil and it made only the slightest difference. Has anyone ever rebuilt one before and changed all the bearings?

Are there any meets local to stoke on trent/telford/wolves/midlands???? I really wanna get along to a few. :D
andrewg1323
Car(s): 2.0 Cabaret Auto - Soon to be daily driver
2.0 Cameo - Currently being Zetec'd
Peugeot 406 - Daily Driver and dull as!

Re: New Project Starting I think!

Post by andrewg1323 »

Just remember ditching your side repeaters means an MOT failure
Stefan Capri
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri S 2.9 EFI

Re: New Project Starting I think!

Post by Stefan Capri »

themelv wrote:

6. Rev counter doesn't work need to find someone who knows exactly where its connected and what colours the wires are before I start tearing the dash out!

yeh this is pritty easy its err Green and Green i think

7. Oil level switch, (Down near the sump on the RHD) isn't connected to anything and I have no red light when the ignition is on either! Where does this connect to?

This is not a oil level, is your oil guage not doing anything? as capris only either use a oil pressure light on the L and LS models, yours being a Laser has a pressure guage.
1 light is connected to the brake warning eg handbrake and low level brake fluid warning this is the right hand red light, the other is to do with the alt.

u need to see what u have floating around, seams it could be a green wire floating around meaning rev guage not working.

11. Passenger side mirror is a bullet but theres not enough adjustment to see anything in it.

keep an eye on ebay for a std style one thats not rotten, but they can be expencive.

13. Finnally (for now) I really need to sort the rear axle out! Its noisy as hell and I'm loathe to make any long distance trips with it! I've changed the oil and it made only the slightest difference. Has anyone ever rebuilt one before and changed all the bearings?

hmn, good chance it could whine for ever, work transit van had a whine, and i mean a whine, sommet to get replaced for a known good one, but likely it will still be good for a few more tho!

Are there any meets local to stoke on trent/telford/wolves/midlands???? I really wanna get along to a few.
Im Shropshire area, from what i undersand we done have many meet around here, there are a couple of clubs, but the main one for this area was Weston park whitch was today, but i missed it, just outside Telford.
:D
yeh and getting rid of side repeaters isent to good really, there better to have than not to have, less chance of somone side impacting u coz they dident see u indicating. some people without them as std, atually add em to be on the safe side.