Beak's Turbo Laser Project

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Beak's Turbo Laser Project

Post by Beakster »

Yo,

I started collecting bits for this a while ago, then got distracted by crashing my car. But I think it's back on track again.

The plan is to turbo a low compression 2.0 Pinto engine, using a T25 Turbo, carb from a Renault 5 Turbo on a VV manifold, a home made exhaust manifold, a transit intercooler and running megajolt EDIS ignition.

So here's some of the components I've collected:

A T25 Turbo from ebay for £100. Off a Fiesta RS Turbo. Was told it ha

A Solex 32DIS from a Renault 5 Turbo, £50 off ebay. This will bolt onto a VV manifold

This one has been machined to Group A spec, which means it has a 28mm choke instead of 26mm

A set of Stainless Steel Flanges to make an exhaust manifold with. Cost me £25 from a kit car company

And the Low Compression 2.0 Pinto. Here's how the engine looked when I got it. Apparently 40,000 on the clock from a Transit school bus. Cost me £100:

Head removed and degreaser applied:

New core plugs fitted:

Timing covers removed and cleaned up, then fitted with new seals and gaskets:

Next I need to finish porting the head, get a Cossie YB head gasket, lap in valves, and fit a 2.0 std cam and followers.

I don't know much about turbos so I will be learning as I go here. Still need to get intercooler and pipework sorted too.

-Chris
no2lurch
Car(s): BMW e30 325i Touring

Re: Beak's Turbo Laser Project

Post by no2lurch »

will the carb be enough? are they not for 1.9 engines?
Please sponsor me in the Wolverhampton Half Marathon on 6th September 2009 and the Leicester Full Marathon on 11th October 2009 at http://www.justgiving.com/neildalby All money goes to SANDS in memory of our angels. Thank you.
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

are you sure that's a low comp engine mate? From the photo's the pistons look flat topped which means it won't be. Transit low comp engines ran dished pistons IIRC. ?
Beakster
Donator
Donator

Post by Beakster »

The low comp pinto doesn't have dished pistons, it has pistons than dont come all the way to the top of the block. They are about 1mm short of being flush.

The carb is a bit on the small side with only 1 28mm choke, but its the most economical option and it's nice and easy as it's designed for turbo use. It will need rejetted though.
Beakster
Donator
Donator

Post by Beakster »

Got a pack of stainless steel bolts and put the sump back on. I painted the sump with hammerite followed by stonechip paint. Also put a shiny new waterpump on.

I've blown up another dremel so head porting is on hold until I get another.

Beakster
Donator
Donator

Post by Beakster »

Cleaned up the VV manifold I got from Snake today. Just need to find out how to make the Solex carb fit it now.

How to keep it shiny though? Laquer or paint?
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Post by Supercharged Nat »

sorry to say this but the only way to keep em shiney is either powder coat or chrome.. or polish it every weekend!

any other paint and it will turn yellow/ brown due to fuel contamination etc. i just painted mine with hammerite silver, itl do for 6 months or so...