Beaksters 2.8i Resto + 24V

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Re: Beaksters 2.8i Resto + 24V

Post by Beakster »

Supercharged Nat wrote:oooh creature comforts! what sort i radio are you fitting? - std or cd/mp3 etc?
One of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SA:GB:1123

Dash already cut so should go in nice.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Post by Supercharged Nat »

ahh, toons for the long drive then! good stuff.
Beakster
Donator
Donator

Post by Beakster »

Here's what will be the final update for some time...

Genuine Motorcraft Filter and expensive oil

The sill needed some work to get it through the MOT

After all that welding I collapsed and slept like this for 30 mins while Jonathan took a sneaky photo

Jonathan does some work on the fibreglass wings to get the headlights to fit

Shut lines on the door were a disaster. Wing overlapped the door! Had to run an anglegrinder down it so I could open the doors, will tidy up some time in future

I had 2 failed MOTs and 2 other trips to the MOT station where problems appeared on way there so had to go home again. The last failure just needed smoe things tightening up and a new power steering rack fitted. It nearly killed me but I managed to get it MOT'ed a week before I had to move out of my house.

Then I put some interior in and tidied up the wiring a bit

Yesterday I drove her to Scotland. Absolutely fantastic drive! Love the 24V!!! So much power! Surprised a lot of people on the motorway! Here's some pics before I left my house for the last time with everything I own in the world loaded into the Capri.

Its been a hell of a lot of work, but now she is mechanically sorted! Its just cosmetics that need attention. It nearly killed me, did a lot of all nighters. The pictures here just don't do justice to the amount of work that was done and the time that went in, it completely took over my life. I'm going to park her up for a year while I go off travelling then I'll come back and carry on from where I left off! :xd: :xd: :xd:
mooneyj

Post by mooneyj »

well done chris, it just goes to show that a car can always be saved with a bit of tlc, lots of hours, commitment and money.

glad the scotland trip went well.

you only away a year? thought you were going for longer?
caulkie
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8i special,
co- own mk3 cotina

Post by caulkie »

well done Beakster, your an inspiration to us all, gonna pull my finger out now, well done again, have a good time while ya away

caulkie
Beakster
Donator
Donator

Post by Beakster »

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o9J-9C_FMF8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o9J-9C_FMF8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rl7xeP1JyR4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rl7xeP1JyR4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
mooneyj

Post by mooneyj »

thats the dance of satisfaction, wish you could bottle the feeling you have when something thats been pissing you off and causing you heart ache finally comes good, like when the engine starts
spireman
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 laser (finally back on the road). Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (daily driver)

Post by spireman »

Just looked through all your pics and vids and I must say mate you have done one hell of a job.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Agreeing with Beakster. So much work went into it but all worth it for the feeling when that engine fired up.

when we rolled it out of the garage under ikts own power for the first MOT it was about 7am after an all nighter.

A lot of Blood sweat and tears went into that car, But ive learnt so much from that car and from beakster and another capri lives to fight another day. Makes it all worth while.
GassiusGuts
Car(s): D633 FTR, Stolen

Post by GassiusGuts »

I've just looked though this lot for the third time, so much work! Cracking work fella :woot:
deaddowg
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 laser project

Post by deaddowg »

This is the first time I've looked through this, you are an inspiration man!!!!! when your home for chrimbo, grab your welder and spray gear head to mine. I'll supply as much grub and drink you can handle and together we can save another! Would I be right in saying this was your first go at everything welding, painting......

Hat off to you fella.

Danny.
Beakster
Donator
Donator

Post by Beakster »

deaddowg wrote:This is the first time I've looked through this, you are an inspiration man!!!!! when your home for chrimbo, grab your welder and spray gear head to mine. I'll supply as much grub and drink you can handle and together we can save another! Would I be right in saying this was your first go at everything welding, painting......

Hat off to you fella.

Danny.
It was my first go at welding/painting on this scale. The paint is crap, but it will keep the rust away until I can do it properly.

I sold all my welding and painting gear before I left the UK. Also, I need to spend the time I am there at Christmas with the family... don't think they would be too impressed if I used my holiday to fix someone elses Capri. :D I'm sure you can do it though.
deaddowg
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 laser project

Post by deaddowg »

Beakster wrote:
deaddowg wrote:This is the first time I've looked through this, you are an inspiration man!!!!! when your home for chrimbo, grab your welder and spray gear head to mine. I'll supply as much grub and drink you can handle and together we can save another! Would I be right in saying this was your first go at everything welding, painting......

Hat off to you fella.

Danny.
It was my first go at welding/painting on this scale. The paint is crap, but it will keep the rust away until I can do it properly.

I sold all my welding and painting gear before I left the UK. Also, I need to spend the time I am there at Christmas with the family... don't think they would be too impressed if I used my holiday to fix someone elses Capri. :D I'm sure you can do it though.
:swear: :crying: :crying: :crying: :swear:

I thought that would be your answer, so I have employed a team of :ninja: ninja midgets :ninja: to detain your fam and friends over the holidays, so you have nothing better to do :sneaky:

It was all in jest mate. I never expected you to spend what little time you have on home turf fixin my cappa. Apparently one of the guy I used to work with is gonna do the small amout of welding for me this thurs (fingers crossed) but he's not the most reliable and I want to try the paint job myself .
Toxcity
Car(s): 2015 Abarth 595 Competizione, 2004 Smart Roadster, 1983 Ford Capri LS 1600

Post by Toxcity »

She sounds lovely! Really well done. Hope you have a nice break.