New Daily driver

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
NaisiaN
Car(s): 1.6 laser 1986. (Toy)
1.4 Renault 19 TR 1989. (Daily)

New Daily driver

Post by NaisiaN »

Just thought id share my new daily i just bought on ebay (unseen :? ) slightly risky but it was a bargain!

32000 miles from new.. 3 owners, super rare.. looks solid and mot history checks out.. so fingers crossed. Picking it up Wednesday

£400 - bargain! can always strip it for parts if it turns out to be a bag of w***

[img] http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w61 ... w8ro7o.jpg [img]

more pics if you scroll through
Jordan
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: New Daily driver

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Where did these all disappear to? That one looks to be in great condition & a bargain at £400, find another. Hope your gamble pays off.
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Where did these all disappear to? That one looks to be in great condition & a bargain at £400, find another. Hope your gamble pays off.
dont think ive ever seen one myself. i like the stance/shape so thought why not! Hope it pays off to :lol:
Jordan
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

They used to be a good comfortable car. Worked on quite a few over the years. This one looks nice and is the even rarer 3 door.

First job must be cambelt and water pump unless you have proof of it being done recently. Also check rear brakes as cylinders don't last long and rear brake shoe linings can become unbonded. Careful in buying replacements - Renault used 4 or 5 different manufacturers of brakes.

In a car park or similar try driving on full left and full right lock. Any clicking noise will be the cv joints. Exchange driveshafts used to be quite cheap if this problem is there.

Hope brake master cylinder is OK as they are a pig to get at if I remember rightly. If it has a sunroof the plastic guides used to break but Renault did a repair kit - don't know if they still will though.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Now that’s a bargain you could get your money back in spares .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

Paul G wrote:They used to be a good comfortable car. Worked on quite a few over the years. This one looks nice and is the even rarer 3 door.

First job must be cambelt and water pump unless you have proof of it being done recently. Also check rear brakes as cylinders don't last long and rear brake shoe linings can become unbonded. Careful in buying replacements - Renault used 4 or 5 different manufacturers of brakes.

In a car park or similar try driving on full left and full right lock. Any clicking noise will be the cv joints. Exchange driveshafts used to be quite cheap if this problem is there.

Hope brake master cylinder is OK as they are a pig to get at if I remember rightly. If it has a sunroof the plastic guides used to break but Renault did a repair kit - don't know if they still will though.

Thanks for the heads up! Actually highlighted a few issue ive noticed....Cambelt and water pump probably needs doing (belts are quite dry and cracked)- think the brakes were done on MOT before last but will check them - there is a clicking noise on full lock so that will probably need doing lol - Came with a spare driveshaft so that's probably why! No sunroof thankfully!

going to get my mates dad to give it a good once over and put a new MOT on it so see what he says. Ran great all the way back from Southampton to Sheffield tho!

Only thing ive really noticed is it lacks power unless i shift down and keep the revs up. The wheels it has on at min are 16" (standards were 13") so maybe that is the issue?

Other than that im well happy with it for the money! so retro inside haha
Jordan
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Exchange recon driveshafts aren't very dear, here's one on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVESHAFT-L ... xyhlJRdNJn
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

Paul G wrote:Exchange recon driveshafts aren't very dear, here's one on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVESHAFT-L ... xyhlJRdNJn
Thanks Paul,

Already came with a spare tho! previous owner must have intended to sort it at some point
Jordan
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

The Renault Passed the MOT with no advisories!

Had full service, brake fluid and cooling system flushed and its driving a dream. All in all with insurance/service/MOT and buying the thing i've spent just over £750. proper bargain. :lowrider:
Jordan
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

NaisiaN wrote:The Renault Passed the MOT with no advisories!

Had full service, brake fluid and cooling system flushed and its driving a dream. All in all with insurance/service/MOT and buying the thing i've spent just over £750. proper bargain. :lowrider:
Brilliant news. Just proves you still can get legally on the road for comparitively little money.

Hope it gives you many years of service.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

What a great result , the money you have saved you can put towards the new springs on the Capri .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

NaisiaN wrote: All in all with insurance/service/MOT and buying the thing i've spent just over £750. proper bargain. :lowrider:
Motoring doesn't get more cost effective than that! Nice one!

Andrew.
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

Cheers all! might start dealing classics. Tempted to put it back on ebay for £12000+ :lol:
Jordan