My new (less rotten) capri!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
NaisiaN
Car(s): 1.6 laser 1986. (Toy)
1.4 Renault 19 TR 1989. (Daily)

Re: My new (less rotten) capri!

Post by NaisiaN »

Not_Anumber wrote:If you are very lucky someone may have changed the carb and inlet manifold for a 32/36 DGAV already. It was a quick and easy performance uplift for the standard 1.6 back in the day that made quite a difference just on its own. Even better of course if it had a 2.0 camshaft added and has to be said that a fast road cam would take it up to the power of a standard 2.0.

Just checked and i have a weber 34ICH carb fitted. Never heard of one before are they decent?
Jordan
NaisiaN
Car(s): 1.6 laser 1986. (Toy)
1.4 Renault 19 TR 1989. (Daily)

Post by NaisiaN »

Jasonmarie wrote:There like two peas in a pod .
I drove a 1.6 many moons ago and I don't think there much in it . The only thing back in the day was the insurance .

deffo lol, got any car shows coming up? will have a look out for ya. Yeah tbh it feels quicker and more responsive than my old 2.0 so i cant see the difference that much but id prefer saying to people its a 2.0 if i could lol.
Jordan
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

NaisiaN wrote: id prefer saying to people its a 2.0 if i could
You do.....it says so in your profile! :)

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Glad you've got a Capri you're happy with, looks the part in the pictures, enjoy :cheers:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

NaisiaN wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:There like two peas in a pod .
I drove a 1.6 many moons ago and I don't think there much in it . The only thing back in the day was the insurance .

deffo lol, got any car shows coming up? will have a look out for ya. Yeah tbh it feels quicker and more responsive than my old 2.0 so i cant see the difference that much but id prefer saying to people its a 2.0 if i could lol.
What you are probably feeling are the better ratios the 1.6 diff has. If its a 4-speed box as well even better!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Your right as the Capri did have a four speed box . I here people say the 4 speed 2.8i capris feel better to drive then ones with a 5 speed .

Any truth in that guys or is this not the place to start that great old debate up again.

It's 10.30 at night and Iam in the garden still how hot is it out here . Sorry for going right of topic it must be my ice lolly .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Your right as the Capri did have a four speed box . I here people say the 4 speed 2.8i capris feel better to drive then ones with a 5 speed .

Any truth in that guys or is this not the place to start that great old debate up again.

It's 10.30 at night and Iam in the garden still how hot is it out here . Sorry for going right of topic it must be my ice lolly .
No you are 100% correct. The 4speeds with a 1.6 diff are way better, at least as far as raw acceleration goes. However if you're a bit of a long distance driver like me and use your Capri for long trips 4 or 5 times a year a 5 speed is waay better for motorway cruising.
I can literally stick it in 5th and cruise at 70 and the engine barely feels like it's ticking over.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes I do like the 5 speed as the revs go right down . checking my MPG it's been 31 mpg so Iam happy with that and when I went up to the Capri nationals the other week I kept saying I could get to Cornwall from home on a tank 350 miles from home . And I was spot on .

So we're the four speed 2.8i quicker of the line then the 5 speeds ?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:Yes I do like the 5 speed as the revs go right down . checking my MPG it's been 31 mpg so Iam happy with that and when I went up to the Capri nationals the other week I kept saying I could get to Cornwall from home on a tank 350 miles from home . And I was spot on .

So we're the four speed 2.8i quicker of the line then the 5 speeds ?
Did Cornwall and back yesterday on 30 litres, pretty much 60 to 70 mph where permitted (A quick 80) :whistle: Roughly 25MPG :)
2.8 times 0 to 60; 4 Speed 7.9 secs, 5 Speed 8.2 secs (Google site figures).

I don't think any V6 is great in first gear, it's 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th they really come alive.....
My 2.9 is out of 1st really quickly and you haven't got far.......But then :drive:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I use to go down and see my girlfriend now wife all them years 80s in the Capri all the time to Cornwall from Kent . I would stop at Stonehenge at 2am ish for a break then if I was early I would go across Dartmoor in the Capri and what a great drive that was .
I might try and do a Cornwall visit in the Capri next year just for old time sake .
Also we would fly out to silly isles and leave the Capri in the car park .

Where does time go ? :nopity:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:I use to go down and see my girlfriend now wife all them years 80s in the Capri all the time to Cornwall from Kent . I would stop at Stonehenge at 2am ish for a break then if I was early I would go across Dartmoor in the Capri and what a great drive that was .
I might try and do a Cornwall visit in the Capri next year just for old time sake .
Also we would fly out to silly isles and leave the Capri in the car park .

Where does time go ? :nopity:
The good old days :lol:

Maybe tie visit in with a show at Wadebridge Cornwall next June/July while you are down :D