Very early 2.0 Laser

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Fiona
Car(s): 2.0 Laser, daily driver.

Very early 2.0 Laser

Post by Fiona »

Hi guys. A brand new member here, I'm trying to find out how many other original 2.0 Lasers still exist that were road registered in the very first month of production ie June 1984. I've had mine for the last 10yrs but haven't had much joy tracking down any other A reg ones! Anyone on here got one????
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Very early 2.0 Laser

Post by Paul G »

My 1.6 Laser was registered 1st August 1984 but would have been built June or July 1984. I haven't retrieved the build paper from behind the rear seat yet to get the exact date.

Both yours and mine would have been built when the Laser was sold as a limited edition; it technically didn't become a mainstream model until it replaced the LS and S in about September from what I have been able to research. I expect others will correct me on that.
Fiona
Car(s): 2.0 Laser, daily driver.

Post by Fiona »

I didn't know that, that's interesting Paul. Am I correct in thinking that your 1.6 will be registered on a B plate though if it was first registered on the 1st of August '84?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Fiona wrote:Hi guys. A brand new member here

Welcome to the forum Fiona :wave:

My current Laser was first registered on 11th October 1984 so its on a B plate, not quite as early as your A plate though Fiona. Not many of those around as you say. Nice one :) Post up some pictures when you get a chance.

All the best

Nick

PS Great forum this !
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
According to Jeremy Walton's book, the Laser was originally a special run-out edition that signified the end of Capri sales on the continent. As you say, they were introduced into the UK a little later, in June '84.
As for the number of cars remaining from June, I don't know, although there are only 202 Lasers from the whole of 1984 still registered in the UK, and only 39 were licensed (Q4 2016).
I would wager that there are very few A reg Lasers on the road.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:My 1.6 Laser was registered 1st August 1984 but would have been built June or July 1984. I haven't retrieved the build paper from behind the rear seat yet to get the exact date.
Hi Paul,
Should the build sheet show the exact date of manufacture? The example one I've got doesn't show one.
Apologies if you already know this, but the build month/year can be determined from the first two characters from the engine number. EK denotes June '84 and ED for July.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Just looked at my logbook and my engine/vin is EC. Looking at the codes on Burton's website that shows it's a May build.

It is a B plate in Lacquer Red, Fiona, B26 JMY so it's called Jeremy after a mate of mine who had a MK2 with 5 fog lights when he was younger. It was in very poor condition when I bought it but it's getting there now.

Welcome to the site by the way, they are a good crowd on here, very knowledgeable and sometimes as mad as a box of frogs.