My 1.6 MK3 (Greetings from The Netherlands)

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
hellum
Car(s): Ford Capri MK3 1.6
Ford Scorpio 2.0I (parts car)
Citroën BX 14TE
Audi A4

My 1.6 MK3 (Greetings from The Netherlands)

Post by hellum »

Here's a picture of my 1979 Ford Capri MK3 1.6. The car has been standing in a shed for about 10 - 15 years. I bought it last year to restore. It's my first project car (well first own car), when I saw it, I just had to buy it.

At this point it does have APK (our version of MOT), runs fine (I do want to add an Accuspark), has new brakes and tires.

I still need to repair some rust and probably repaint it (although polished it doesn't even look too bad) also I want to add a 5 speed gearbox and upgrade the engine a bit (just to keep up with modern traffic). I still don't know how I will upgrade it, some people have suggested a turbo, but I still think about just putting a bigger engine in.

Greetings from The Netherlands

Gerard
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: My 1.6 MK3 (Greetings from The Netherlands)

Post by Peter-S »

That looks a very nice Capri, you must be pretty pleased with it. Not many MkIIIs had a vinyl roof but that looks good with the metallic paint.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Gérard,
Very nice car indeed!
Personally, I wouldn't bother with an engine transplant, just enjoy the car for what it is.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

What a lovely looking car. Personally I would keep it standard and as original as possible but the simplest upgrade would be to fit a 2 litre (pinto not V6) engine or even to fit to the existing engine a twin choke weber 32/36 from a 2 litre ( with corrected jets) and a sportex exhaust system which would give it a bit more power.

Be careful of too many non standard alterations because EU law may change for classic cars although that won't affect us or you if Mr Wildeers wins your election!
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

What a great looking car, looks straight out of a 1979 brochure. Keep it as it is & just enjoy it, as Paul G said, a 2.0 pinto would be all I'd change if after more power. Other than that, just enjoy the fact that you own a great looking piece of late '70's Capri motoring. :cheers: