My Ever Changing 1985 laser!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
01mpope
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0 laser 1985
Ford capri mk1 1600gt 1969

My Ever Changing 1985 laser!

Post by 01mpope »

I've been a member on here for a while, and I thought I'd share with you all the story so far, and keep you updated with future plans.

I bought my 1985 2.0 laser capri in August 2015.. By Accidentally winning it on eBay! :ebay:
I set off from Dorset to Essex on a Tuesday evening, and after viewing it in the dark and a quick test drive (first capri I'd ever driven!), I was in love! :wub:
That 3 hour drive home was heaven. It ran like crap and needed a lot of the, but I didn't care... I finally owned a capri :applaud:

The next morning. Daylight told me a different story!

Rust. And more and more rust!!! :cigar:

The tracking was out, for some reason the idle jet on the dgav carb was half hanging out, the bellhousing bolts were all finger loose, as we're the rear propshaft bolts (and I drove it home from Essex like that!!) no speedo, blowing exhaust, the indicator stalk didn't work properly, no horn, no reverse lights or high beam, no Heater fan or any switch lights, no rear demister or rear wiper....... Many problems!! :doh:

I spent the next week sorting out all the electrical gremlins, what a joy that was! It was mostly things left unplugged, loose connections etc.
I then went around every bolt I could find to make sure everything is tightened properly, and welded a few holes in the exhaust.

That was it for a while! I was enjoying having my first capri and loving every minute!

Next was to fit a Bluetooth car stereo because having wires hanging around (auxiliary to my phone) is a pet peeve of mine!!
I also fitted some 6x9 into the parcel shelf, and got a pink.. Yes pink 12" fli active sub... It was £5 from a car boot and I couldn't resist! :lol:

Next mission was to tidy up the bodywork a little bit. This was and still is just a temporary fix. The way I see it. I have a lot of plans for this car and it may have a rough ride along the way so I'll tart it up for now and get on replacing panels when the engine is ready.

First job was to pick and cut at the rust holes I could see. there were a lot of them! And as I'm sure many of you have experienced, most pin holes turned into sandwich plates!! I even LITERALLY found a baked bean lid inside one hole holding the bottom of the door together!!

The rubbers that run down the side of the car and along the door was missing on one side and hanging on the other so that was removed.
I also removed the rubber spoiler because it was severely bent on both ends. This wasn't easy as at some point in the past someone used some sort of mastic to fuse it to the boot lid!
It's also been de-bumpered, purely because I love the look!

As you can imagine. After cutting out rust and treating what I could, sanding, rebuilding bits with mesh and filler and filling more holes with filler, he looked worse than when he began!
I had to do something about this because it's my daily driver but as this is a temporary fix I didn't want to go all out on a paint job, so I looked for a cheaper option!
I went on a known website for graffiti supplies, and purchased 12 cans of a Matt light blue!
I know there's a stigma about these kids that spray or roller paint their little boy racer cars... This certainly wasn't what I was going for.
I wanted it to stand out, but I did the best I could with some professional cans at a low price.. £50 all in!

That's it for tonight, I'll continue tomorrow and add some pictures!
:ford: :burnout: :ford:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: My Ever Changing 1985 laser!

Post by Arya2.0S »

How's progress going with this?
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

I've been a busy bee!
He got the paint job! Done on a mates drive haha

I also painted the dash to match!!
And added some brushed aluminium dials, and blue led backlights 8-)

01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

After he was looking kind of snazzy. I wanted more power!! This went in the form of..

Sk Racing twin 45 ' sidedraughts
Kent fr32 cam
Adjustable vernier
Sportex 4-2-1 manifold

D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

You have been busy! I must say the sprayed dash looks really funky along with those brushed dials, never seen it done before but love it!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Ive never seen a 2.0 with the battery tray on the left before, thought they only did that for the 3.0 litres due to the larger engine and the alternator being on the LHS of that engine and thus not enough space so they had to move the battery tray over to the RHS of the engine (our left when looking at it from the front).

I like the dash, im a bit of a stickler for originality on certain cars but i also like to see people making the best out of what they have. We dont all have access to spray booths and huge budgets and workshops and new parts and welders etc. Love the fact you basically painted the car outside on a sheet in the middle of the winter without any kind of shelter! Thats kinda crazy, but gangsta! Gotta admire the balls it takes to do that!

Those twin carbs must be a pain to tune up though i bet? Hows the engine go now with those upgrades? I had considered getting an FR32 for mine at one stage but decided not to when plans changed to switch out the whole engine for a different reconditioned 205-block lump instead from my old tired 200 block.
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

To be honest I haven't actually seen under the bonnet of many other.. One or two.., so I wouldn't know the difference! It did start life as an automatic but I don't suppose that makes a difference?
From what I've found with this beauty in the last year and a half that I've owned it, it's had a hard life!!

When I first set my mind on actually buying a capri (I've wanted one since I was 8.. My mum had one, and my grandad, and great grandad lol), I did have completely original in mind, but when I bought this and realised just how much work it needs and far from original it actually already is, I thought f**k it, I'll just carry on!!
That was done last winter, I've painted the bonnet black and fitted some bonnet pins to break it up a bit since :-D
Then 6 months ago my *cough* better half bought a 1969 mk1 1600gt... *so feckin jealous* That one will stay original B-) p

The twin carbs were a massive pain in the arse! I got them running pretty sweet from what I could find online, and They went really really really well along with the cam and I absolutely loved the power I was getting... But it wasn't anywhere near what I was expecting.
This was particularly due to the cars history, and partly me being an amateur and learning as I go!
I found out the 202 block that I was trying to tune was a low compression from a transit... Not a good start!

then it seemed to dwindle away and I just could not get ANY power low end... At all. Not just what you would expect from a high lift cam and big carbs, I mean dangerously nothing! And I have only recently found out why but I won't ruin the surprise ;-)
(nothing to do with the carbs or the cam, they were awesome!)

To be honest, I got sick of it. I had the choice of 'power' on with my engine and throw even more money at it when it wasn't right to start.. Or start again.
Which also got me thinking, why stay pinto? It's a sad thought because I love the pinto engine, but the possibilities are endless, where there's a will there's a way!!
That was end of November-ish, I've come up with a decision since then :-D

I have done a lot in the last week alone that I'll update with tomorrow... Expecting stuff!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Arya2.0S wrote:Ive never seen a 2.0 with the battery tray on the left before, thought they only did that for the 3.0 litres due to the larger engine and the alternator being on the LHS of that engine and thus not enough space so they had to move the battery tray over to the RHS of the engine (our left when looking at it from the front).
My 2.0 has the battery on the left, but is also an auto so maybe that has something to do with it as well??

Either way this car looks sweet as, if it has a black bonnet now too must look even more swanky haha :lol:

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Ahh yes the old 202 low comp' Transit block. Not an ideal lump to put in car you want to get loads of power out of, but thats all part of the learning process i suppose. I just got a Pinto out of Transit that im gonna put into mine, luckily though its a 205 and has recently been reconditioned so im feeling quite happy about that. :)
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

Well I'm happy to hear someone else with a 2.0 with the battery on the left.. As I said the cars history is a mystery so that's one part of it solved!
And yeah it looks awesome with the black bonnet B-)

Yeah the 202 wasn't my idea, it was in there when I bought the car and I didn't know the difference!
The 205 is what I was searching for for a while, but I've had another idea ;-)

So this Saturday just gone, me and a friend set on removing my old engine... On the road!! That wasn't easy!

However, 2 hours later, we had it out :-)

Ready for this!!

:-D
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

Whilst removing the pinto engine. I thought it would be a good idea to drain the oil first. This is where I think I've found my everlasting problem!!

This oil is 3 months old and was "green" like most classic motor oil. I flushed the engine properly when I drained the old oil, and even flushed it through again with some clean oil to make sure it ran clean before putting new oil in to run on.
I also found this on my magnetic sump plug...

I'm sure there shouldn't be that much metal filings stuck to it!!
I'm not sure what caused this but its definitely not right!
I doubt I'll investigate properly because I haven't got the time. And to be honest, I have my new engine so I'm really not bothered!! :-D
Maybe I'll find out when I turn it into a coffee table!!

Anyhoo.. I took a few bits off the new engine for a bit of a tart up :-D

D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

01mpope wrote:
Love the look, very nice! The Mk 1 looks spot on as well :heart: :cool:

Favourite part by far though is the little alien on the front :lol:
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

Haha cheers!!
Yeah the alien had to be done, I felt the car needed a mascot!!
Straight from sainsburys toy department, and cable tied up in sainsburys car park B-)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

How is that Cosworth lump going to work? Doesn't it need an ECU and new loom and all that stuff plugged in?
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Hi.

What engine mounts are you using for the BOB conversion? Are you using the original pinto cross member?

I'm doing the BOB conversion later this year and hoping to use the original cross member.

Glad to see another car kept on the road.
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

I have the complete ecu, loom, immobiliser and key from the donor car, slightly modified to make it work right!

I'm also removing the egr system... No need for that!

I'll be using the engine legs and cross member from a 2.8 V6.. I can't use my 2.0 x-member because the engine mounts are in a different place and I don't really fancy cutting and welding things to make it fit, much easier to just get a 2.8 one.

It doesn't matter how many people joke and tell me my car is ready for the scrap heap, it will one day be a work of art 8-)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

That wiring.....Screw trying to figure that shit out! Lol. Good luck!
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

That's what I was thinking!! :-S
It shouldn't be too bad, the person I bought the engine from has already done the repinning of the ecu or whatever it is he's done, I wouldn't have had a clue with that!!
And as for wiring all that actually to the car, Its all been rolled up and labeled in a way that's easy to decipher, with lots of instructions! Not bad for an eBay purchase, it's almost an easy fit package!...... :bullshit:

I'm almost there with my parts collection, only a few weeks away from fitting!!

Here's what I have so far..

bob engine
ecu and loom
Twin rads and expansion tank
twin fuel pump swirl pot
twin electric fans
2.8i flywheel
starter motor
exhaust system
air mass sensor
granada Scorpio pas pump
2.8i pas rack.
brake spacer kit

And thank you to Martin @ caprigear for the 2.8I cross member and engine legs, they arrived today! :-D

Just a few things left! I have the pas hoses from the capri rack, I need to aquire the pas hose that comes from the granada pump and get it coupled to the pipe from the 2.8 rack.
I also need some discs and pads for the front, and some braided brake hoses to tighten up the braking a Lil bit!

I'm so excited, it's all coming together!! :-D

More to come soon ;-)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Surprised that can all fit in the engine bay lol. Do braided brake hoses really make that much difference? I'd get some grooved and slotted discs, that's what I put on mine and it has formed up the braking slightly despite everything else being stock.
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

It'll be a squeeze! :lol:

I don't know if they make THAT much of a difference as I've never actually used them.
However, I know that they take away a lot of that spongey feeling under the pedal due to their construction.. They don't flex as much under pressure, and they don't allow for as much expansion, in comparison my 10-20 odd year old rubber hoses probably blow up like balloons under heavy braking! :drive:

I'll be getting some c-hook discs and mintex pads from here:

http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/f ... 04-87.html

I'm wondering if my 2.0 master cylinder will be up to scratch after all of this! I've read a few things about using a land rover master cylinder? I'll have a look through Q&A for some answers 8-)