My Ever Changing 1985 laser!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
01mpope
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0 laser 1985
Ford capri mk1 1600gt 1969

Re: My Ever Changing 1985 laser!

Post by 01mpope »

Just a quick update.

Due to a few discrepancies with where I was storing my new engine, I have been forced to rush it and prepare to fit it a few weeks sooner than planned!!

So today I got him on the driveway and set on getting as much as possible prepared to drop the engine in the moment it is home.

First I removed the old 2.0 x-member

Then I set on cutting out the rad mounts and battery tray to make way for a much bigger rad from the granada.. 44cm in height and twice the width!

Next up, I fitted my freshly painted x-member. I know no one will see it but it matches the few things I painted on the engine :lmao:
I also fitted the pas rack, however I need to get some longer bolts to fit the x-member and some nuts for the balljoints.
I still need a high pressure pipe made up so I can use the capri rack with the granada pump, but I'll do that when the engine is fitted to get the best length.

Thats it for now, I'll keep yall posted!

** Admin, if this would be better suited in projects feel free to move it!
:ford: :burnout: :ford:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Looking good.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

You are making quick and bold progress. If it's not a rude question, what did you have to pay for the 2.9 engine with it's ECU and loom etc. Im planning a transplant for my (non Capri) project car.
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

Thanks!
It's coming along fairly well at the moment! I couldn't fit the twin fans that came with the rad as they were because there wasn't enough room, so I'll have to chop and change them a little bit.

600 got me the engine and all ancillaries, the ecu with already modified loom, flywheel, rad and twin fans and expansion tank, pas pump and reservoir, starter motor, air mass sensor and the full exhaust system from the granada Scorpio.
Not too bad.. It would have been much cheaper to get a donor granada Scorpio to take the parts from, and then scrap what's left to make some money back, however when this popped up with the egr already removed and the loom modified I couldn't resist!
Just out of curiosity, what is your project car?
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

Good afternoon all!

Another update.

So today was the day of bolting it in, though I didn't get too many pictures as I was rushing before the rain!
My only objective today was to get it on the engine mounts, as I no longer have anywhere to store the engine other than in the engine bay!

First thing was to cut a hole in the bulkhead to feed the immobiliser wires etc through.

They it was just a case of carefully lowering the engine in!

So that's only placed on the engine mounts, with nuts loosely screwed on the ends.
Note for anyone thinking of this.. The engines lifting hook on the back left corner fouls on the brake servo making it impossible to align the left engine mount, try to remove it and lift the engine from elsewhere if possible.

I'm hoping to get some time tomorrow to get some more done, maybe attached the gearbox, ecu and fans but we'll see how the weather is.
As always I'll keep you posted.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Cool, jeez that's a tight fit!
imperial21
Car(s): Capri laser, mk3 Cortina xl, Super minx

Post by imperial21 »

You are going fast, Would you be interested in selling the exhaust manifold off your old engine, I look forward too seeing you about as I am in Dorset too.
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

It would be faster if it wasn't for the great British weather!!
Maybe this weekend will be better!
I'm afraid it's already sold Imperial21! Whereabouts in Dorset are you? I'm quite good at spotting the local capris around Bournemouth/Poole sort of area, which seems to be getting more and more lately! I have a few other bits from the pinto set up, pm me if there's anything else, I might have it 8-)
imperial21
Car(s): Capri laser, mk3 Cortina xl, Super minx

Post by imperial21 »

I live in Poole and I am around Bournemouth a bit, Mine is a black laser but it hasn't been out much in this weather !