My old Capri's

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Iwan22

My old Capri's

Post by Iwan22 »

I no longer have any of them, but thought users would like to see my old Capri's that I owned about 10-15 years ago. Terry will remember some of them as I used to be a regular here in the early noughties.

My mum's 1.6L in 1989, this is what gave me the Capri bug:

This was when I last saw it before being sold in 2005 ish.

The first Capri I bought of my own was this 2.0 Laser in 2000, I sold it in 2004 and the kid unfortunately set it on fire shortly after:

My Maths teacher then called me and wanted to know if I wanted to buy his 2.0S that he needed gone. I did. But I ended up never using it and then selling it in 2004 which I still regret to this day, especially as according to the DVLA it has never been taxed since then.

I also got given a 2.8 shell and bought a rotted out 2.8I Special to rebuild it with, but again never finished it and sold it on. A999 SBX was that car, in red. Not been on the road since 2005.

I don't have a Capri now, and a MK3 will be harder since I'm living in the USA (Though I was offered a 2,8 here recently that had been imported, sadly it was rotten), if I can't find a nice MK1 out here, the dream is to one day import a 2.8 Special or a Brooklands. But in the mean time I'll try and be a regular around here. :applaud:
I also owned a 2.0 Laser in Silver, D260 KBO which I bought to sell on so didn't have it long. That's been off the road since 2007 according to the DVLA
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: My old Capri's

Post by Arya2.0S »

As much as i love Capri's, if i lived in the states i'd want a Mustang. :P
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Judging by the timestamps on your photos, it looks like you are going to own a Capri in 19 years time..... :D

Your mum owned a Capri? How cool is that! My Mum's got a Suzuki Alto.... :(

Andrew.
Iwan22

Post by Iwan22 »

Arya2.0S wrote:As much as i love Capri's, if i lived in the states i'd want a Mustang. :P
So would I, but have a fish around on eBay US or Craigslist and see what Fastback Mustangs are selling for.
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Judging by the timestamps on your photos, it looks like you are going to own a Capri in 19 years time..... :D

Your mum owned a Capri? How cool is that! My Mum's got a Suzuki Alto.... :(

Andrew.
Haha yes, I noticed that. Yeah basically my da was a Mechanic and one customer had that white Capri and wanted to sell it, so dad got mum to drive it back to the garage and she liked it so much she asked to have it!
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Iwan22 wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:As much as i love Capri's, if i lived in the states i'd want a Mustang. :P
So would I, but have a fish around on eBay US or Craigslist and see what Fastback Mustangs are selling for.
Even more than buying a decent rust free 2.8/brooklands and importing it from the uk?
Iwan22

Post by Iwan22 »

Decent fastback V8 mustangs are at least $35,000 which as of today is about £28,000. You can ship a car to the East cost of the US for as little as £900 so if you say £1500 by the time you added any extra charges in. Only very low mileage Brooklands are fetching over £20k so yes, it's cheaper.

Muscle cars have gone just as silly out here as Fords have back home.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Iwan22 wrote:Decent fastback V8 mustangs are at least $35,000 which as of today is about £28,000. You can ship a car to the East cost of the US for as little as £900 so if you say £1500 by the time you added any extra charges in. Only very low mileage Brooklands are fetching over £20k so yes, it's cheaper.

Muscle cars have gone just as silly out here as Fords have back home.
Hmm, guess im looking at it from the wrong angle, as id buy something far cheaper and restore it myself. But if you dont have the means to do that then yeah i can see how it would be cheaper to just get a Capri still.
Iwan22

Post by Iwan22 »

You have a point, and normally I would do the same but having spent a lot of my life restoring cars (including an MGB GT V8 conversion for the last 8 years) I would like something for once that I can buy and enjoy right away, without spending years slaving away at it.

Also, "Much cheaper" is subjective. This sold for $6,000 reacently and is rotten:

This sold for nearly $10,000

That's either an AWFUL lot of metalwork to do myself, or pay someone to do it and by the time you've bought all the missing bits, it's going to be more expensive than buying a road ready example. There's no such thing as a cheap Mustang anymore, especially a fastback. Of course some more restorable ones come up for sensible money but they are rare. I'm keeping an open mind and if one that needed a light restoration came up for Capri money, of course I'd get the Stang :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Wow, the buyers of those Mustangs must be mad!
It looks like crazy bidding for wrecks isn't confined to this side of the pond!

Good luck with your search for a Capri, I hope you find one.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Wow, the buyers of those Mustangs must be mad!
It looks like crazy bidding for wrecks isn't confined to this side of the pond!

Good luck with your search for a Capri, I hope you find one.

Andrew.
Yeah they must be, unless they are some sort of mega rare, super valable car like a one off or the first one ever made a one year only make or something, then it would kind make sense but even then still huge money for a garden shed!

Ideally, thered be enough money for both a Capri AND a Mustang. ;)

Been seeing more of those 2016 Mustangs over here, must say they are a welcome sight that for certain, saw a lovely black 5.0 one today and an older model Yellow one parked up at a BP too, couldnt see what it was packing under the bonnet though as it was too far away. Still, cant beat the classics though.