First Capri, 1984 1.6

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
hoobymeister
Car(s): 84' Ford Capri 1.6 (Daily driver)
Ginetta G4/S4 (two of)

First Capri, 1984 1.6

Post by hoobymeister »

Hi guys,

I've finally joined the Capri community by buying a Capri off my Uncle.

Not a Calypso, just a non-standard paint job (originally Glacier Blue).

Had been off the road from 1998 in a dry garage to when my Uncle acquired it in 2015.

He then polybushed the suspension, overhauled the brakes, serviced the engine (inc. new belts, wapu etc.) and MOT'd it.

Body work is great apart from a couple of surface rust patches which I'll address shortly. Need to get rid of the low profile tyres from the 13" rims - drives fine but look ridiculous. Was a bit gutted about it being a 1.6 as I'm used to tuned Pinto's in my Ginetta G4s and G26, but it goes really well (I do have a spare 2.0 anyway).

Needs a few of the usual things - parcel shelf has broken at the corners, couple of knobs missing from clock light fader and speaker fader. Can't complain really.

I'm based in Leam Spa so if there are a few local Capri owners would be good to meet up and have a beer.

Regards

Dean
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: First Capri, 1984 1.6

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Dean,
Welcome to the forum. :welcome: May I congratulate you on your excellent choice of car!
I've got to say, your car looks terrific, I love the colour scheme.
I think you could be right about the low profile tyres on 13" wheels, I think the standard balloon tyres (compared to modern sizes) look just about right.

All the best,
Andrew.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Yeah you got to get rid of those tyres! Holy moly they look like someone has taken the wheels of a 1/46 scale matchbox toy car and fitted them onto a life size car! lol.

Apart from that she looks great, keep her as she is just tidy up the bits you mentioned (and get new tyres obviously) and you'll have a great looking car, color looks great.

And yes, a 2.0 is much more fun if you have one, but Capri's are all about the looks so as long as she goes thats all that matters.....just......change those tyres!!! :lol: :lol:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Dean,
Welcome to the forum. :welcome: May I congratulate you on your excellent choice of car!
Couldn't have said it better :D . Welcome aboard.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

hoobymeister wrote:Hi guys,

I've finally joined the Capri community by buying a Capri off my Uncle.

Not a Calypso, just a non-standard paint job (originally Glacier Blue).

Had been off the road from 1998 in a dry garage to when my Uncle acquired it in 2015.

He then polybushed the suspension, overhauled the brakes, serviced the engine (inc. new belts, wapu etc.) and MOT'd it.

Body work is great apart from a couple of surface rust patches which I'll address shortly. Need to get rid of the low profile tyres from the 13" rims - drives fine but look ridiculous. Was a bit gutted about it being a 1.6 as I'm used to tuned Pinto's in my Ginetta G4s and G26, but it goes really well (I do have a spare 2.0 anyway).

Needs a few of the usual things - parcel shelf has broken at the corners, couple of knobs missing from clock light fader and speaker fader. Can't complain really.

I'm based in Leam Spa so if there are a few local Capri owners would be good to meet up and have a beer.

Regards

Dean
I've got the speaker and dash light fader knobs in stock.
hoobymeister
Ginetta G4/S4 (two of)

Post by hoobymeister »

Thanks gents,

Love the car and will definitely be sorting the tyres. I'll probably invest in a set of Pepperpots too, always liked the look of them. :drive:

Caprigear, I've sent you a PM :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

hoobymeister wrote:Thanks gents,

Love the car and will definitely be sorting the tyres. I'll probably invest in a set of Pepperpots too, always liked the look of them. :drive:

Hi,
Martin's also got a good set of pepperpots on Ebay at the moment. They seem to be getting scarce now, so if you see a good set, snap them up.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

hoobymeister wrote:Thanks gents,

Funny you should say that, as i plan on putting a set on mine soon, and i bought them from Capri Gear as well, long time ago mind you. Finding someplace that still has the tyres in stock was a pain in the backside mind you, dont rely on websites too much (even though they seem to be the ONLY place that can get the sizes you need for pepperpots), they might say on the site that they are in stock but call them up to make sure. One site said they were in stock but when i phoned them to make sure (as i never trust these things for the following reason) they were infact out of stock, because keeping accurate inventory and your site up to date is apparently too hard to do these days.
hoobymeister
Ginetta G4/S4 (two of)

Post by hoobymeister »

Hi chaps,

Thought I'd post an update.

Drove it for a year then put the Capri in hibernation from November to a few weeks ago, when I pulled it of the garage in the nice weather.

New HT leads resolved a brief misfire it had developed, and a new fuse to sort out lack of fogs and dash light then off for MOT. Passed without issue. :woot:

Got a chance to get underneath it properly, amazed there isn't a speck of rust under there, amazing condition. S'pose I better get it waxoyl'd.

Bonnet showing signs of rust now though across the front edge, so will get that addressed shortly.

Bought a set of Pepperpots but need the tyres to go with them.

Currently raiding my spares bin to fettle the engine to 1600 GT spec (2.0 cam, valves, Weber 32/36 etc.) as I want that little extra performance.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Best summer toy any person could have is a Capri .
Post up some pictures ....
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: