Laser + GL and now a 3.0S!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Laser + GL

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote::cool: that looks great dan , good job and should last a lifetime
:agree: :cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: managed to get Debby back yesterday, with one shiny new exhaust manifold!! :heart: :heart:
Hi Danny,
I'm not surprised that you are pleased with that, it looks like a high quality bit of workmanship. It was a bit of a gamble going the stainless route, but it looks like you've made the right decision.
D366Y wrote: Fair to say I think it's well worth it, and if possible, it's slightly louder now too.... :beer: :lol:
:D :D :D

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Hi Danny,
I'm not surprised that you are pleased with that, it looks like a high quality bit of workmanship. It was a bit of a gamble going the stainless route, but it looks like you've made the right decision.
Andrew.
Thanks Andrew, I'm glad I did it as well - knew it was a bit of a gamble but looks to have paid off and would recommend Flowtech in Dagenham if anyone needs their exhaust looking at!

Also, I completely forgot to update the thread about the rolling road!
The day before the Ace Café I took the car to Novatech in Slough, my piddly litte 1.6 pushed out 103bhp! Needless to say I'm very happy with that number and that was before the stainless manifold and still have the rest a new stainless exhaust to be fitted yet which will hopefully happen in the next couple of months :)

ImageIMG_0465 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hey Danny...am just loving that stainless manifold mate. Looks absolutely stunning mate. Really looks very good quality indeed. Looking forward to hearing it all when the rest is fitted. Did you say you are getting a 3" straight tailpipe as per whats on at the moment or did you say 6" :shock: :lol:

Money deffo well spent there young man. Well done. Your Laser is really coming along a treat with your mods. Keep up the great work :applaud:
D366Y wrote:would recommend Flowtech in Dagenham if anyone needs their exhaust looking at!
Very good recommendation Danny. Always good to get these recommendations from forum members as it sounds like you are well chuffed with yours. Nice one mate. I would love to go stainless but this will have to wait as got Tickover doing some more work on mine soon. Might look into a stainless exhaust next year some time so will be in touch with you when I do re the company you used :)

All the best,

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes it does look nice on Dans car but with you nick I am saving up for bits to do and it will have to go on my list because like All of us have been having a spend up .

Also bought my self a special coat that’s been hidden from my boss :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Hey Danny...am just loving that stainless manifold mate. Looks absolutely stunning mate. Really looks very good quality indeed. Looking forward to hearing it all when the rest is fitted. Did you say you are getting a 3" straight tailpipe as per whats on at the moment or did you say 6" :shock: :lol:

Money deffo well spent there young man. Well done. Your Laser is really coming along a treat with your mods. Keep up the great work :applaud:
D366Y wrote:would recommend Flowtech in Dagenham if anyone needs their exhaust looking at!
Very good recommendation Danny. Always good to get these recommendations from forum members as it sounds like you are well chuffed with yours. Nice one mate. I would love to go stainless but this will have to wait as got Tickover doing some more work on mine soon. Might look into a stainless exhaust next year some time so will be in touch with you when I do re the company you used :)

All the best,

Nick
Thanks Nick, I'd say well worth it, though the car pulls pretty quick now so feels like I need to improve my gear ratios :lol:
Will last a lifetime though and while the sportex/CCI kits are alright, when mine rusted from the inside after 5years it doesn't really make much sense to buy another when I could go stainless so definitely recommend it!

Also, even I think 6" might be a little too much, would quite literally deafen me :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Danny,
That's a terrific power output, you must be really pleased with that. Was that before or after the new exhaust/manifold was fitted? I can't remember whether you had those shiny new bits at the Ace.

Happy Birthday, by the way! :) :cheers:

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Happy Birthday Danny.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Happy Birthday young man :cheers:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Happy birthday Mr Dan :beer:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

What mods did you have to do to get your 1600 up to 103 bhp ?

That's a very figure for a 2 litre Pinto let alone a 1.6
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Not_Anumber wrote:What mods did you have to do to get your 1600 up to 103 bhp ?

I like to think that's what mine is putting out, but it's more likely around the 75/80 hp mark. Though I do have a Weber and a sportex exhaust system and it is a reconditioned 205 so who knows? I'll stay in blissful ignorance lol.
But yeah, that's good for a 1.6! What's your mpg like?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks for the birthday messages guys, sorry for not responding sooner I've been away in Rome for the week!
Not_Anumber wrote:What mods did you have to do to get your 1600 up to 103 bhp ?

To be fair I'm really surprised and happy its pushing 103, it's got a standard 2litre cam, 32/36 DGAS manual choke Webers, and a sportex 3" exit with no silencers. Since then the manifold has been upgraded to Stainless steel and the exit ports on the exhaust are a few mm larger as well :beer:
Arya2.0S wrote: But yeah, that's good for a 1.6! What's your mpg like?
To be honest I've never sat down and tried to figure out my mpg, but I've just driven to Wales and back on one tank of fuel and got 350miles and still haven't emptied the tank so does well on motorway mileage for sure, I'd imagine less so around town but I've ever tried to figure it out

Hopefully this video works as well... If so you can see/hear it's worth the work on the engine :D :beer:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/148176292 ... res/03HNLA
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

I'd love to watch it as I'm curious how loud your exhaust is (wondering if it's as loud as mine) but unfortunately it doesn't play, I can see your dashboard and that's about it.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: but unfortunately it doesn't play, I can see your dashboard and that's about it.
That's strange, I've tried it on my desktop and Samsung tablet and it plays perfectly on both.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote: but unfortunately it doesn't play, I can see your dashboard and that's about it.
That's strange, I've tried it on my desktop and Samsung tablet and it plays perfectly on both.

Andrew.
Yes it works fine on our desktop too :)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

I'm on a phone so that's likely the issue. I'm too lazy to move and fire up the desktop right now lol
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Ok, just checked out the video on my PC. Yeah, thats a nice noise! Sounds exactly like mine does, just a tad louder lol. Does your exhaust have any sort of rear silencer, or is it straight through like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-p ... Sw7aBVE0Jn
I'll be buying a new exhaust quite soon as mine is really old and falling to bits, and its already been welded several times so i dont think its got much life left in it. It has two silencers though and im tempted to go with one that only has one, but i do quite a bit of motorway driving so i dont want to make it too loud lol.
The occasional run through a tunnel or daily drive around town with a loud exhaust is fine, but when your driving for 2 or 3 hours straight i can imagine it would get a bit grating lol.
Then again thats what a massive subwoofer and amp is for ;)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I must have missed that video post just spotted it yes that sounds great and put a smile on my face nice one Dan and it worked ok on my iPad .
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Jasonmarie wrote:I must have missed that video post just spotted it yes that sounds great and put a smile on my face nice one Dan and it worked ok on my iPad .
:agree: Sounds great Danny, off to find a tunnel now before it’s sorned next month :whistle: