Laser + GL and now a 3.0S!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Laser + GL

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
D366Y wrote: and give me an excuse to buy a compressor and spraypaint attachments too!
I'm very good at spending other peoples' money! :D

Andrew.
You are, so thanks for that! :lol:

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Green-Ghia
Car(s): 1979 Ford Capri MKIII 2.0 Ghia - Apollo Green

Post by Green-Ghia »

Hey Danny how's things? Hope all is well. I agree and can understand your GL's rarity being a motivator: I do love the earlier MK3 models rarity ie your L, GL, Ghia etc - certainly not many about these days at all.

Good progress so far on the wheels and hopefully the Dremmel will help. Monumental socks by the way, love them!!! :-)
1979 Ford Capri MKIII 2.0 Ghia - Apollo Green / Chocolate Brown Verona Trim
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Green-Ghia wrote:Hey Danny how's things? Hope all is well. I agree and can understand your GL's rarity being a motivator: I do love the earlier MK3 models rarity ie your L, GL, Ghia etc - certainly not many about these days at all.

Good progress so far on the wheels and hopefully the Dremmel will help. Monumental socks by the way, love them!!! :-)
All going well so far thanks, have spent this weekend tidying up the ends caps for both cars and spraying them up again to look nice and fresh! Initially I wasn't such a fan of the earlier Mk3s as I thought they were a bit too bland.... but the more I fall in love with them the more I think they are the ones I should be pining after; they seem to have a lot more character than the later Laser for sure, even if the interior are very brown!!

I also didn't realise my socks would be quite so popular, but I'm that everyone likes the! :lol: :D

All the best

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Those are some awesome......................SOCKS!

:cool:

Seriously though, great car, and that GL was an absolute bargain! Wish i could find one like that. Cant wait to see more....seeing threads like this just makes me realise mow much i miss my "Arya". :crying:
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Just read this, excellent stuff. 2 nice cars. That GL must be a very rare car these days great find.. Looking forward to the finished results.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

If you plan to sell the GL, dont expect an immense price for it. Thought its rare, it doesnt mean its gonna be valuable as i had a low mileage GL auto with all its original service history, even had its original owners manual and Ford catalogue and could barely sell it for a profit after a light restoration.

Not to piss on your parade or anything, just preparing you for reality in case you're thinking of selling it once its done. I thought i had a gold mine and turned out it wasnt.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Just read this, excellent stuff. 2 nice cars. That GL must be a very rare car these days great find.. Looking forward to the finished results.
Thanks, the GL was quite a nice surprise to find, I wasn't exactly planning to buy a second but when the guy only wanted £400 I thought I'd be stupid to say no as I see cars that look exactly the same sell on fleabay for closer to £900-1200 and figured why not!
Arya2.0S wrote:If you plan to sell the GL, dont expect an immense price for it. Thought its rare, it doesnt mean its gonna be valuable as i had a low mileage GL auto with all its original service history, even had its original owners manual and Ford catalogue and could barely sell it for a profit after a light restoration.

Not to piss on your parade or anything, just preparing you for reality in case you're thinking of selling it once its done. I thought i had a gold mine and turned out it wasnt.
I'm not thinking that it's going to be a particular gold mine as such... I know it's not the most desire-able etc. but if nothing else I'm hoping the 'rarity factor' will at least make it slightly easier to sell (if it does ever happen) rather than bump up the price exponentially.

I have had a lot more progress with the wheel (I only started on one so far in-case I cocked everything up!) since I got my hands on the dremel drill it has saved me infinite hours! I've had to take almost the whole thing back to bare metal as there was so much rust coming through the paintwork it looked more like a patch-work quilt of rust than I anticipated.

I will upload some pictures at some point of how that is coming along, but when I posted a picture on social media of it, an old friend I've not spoken to for many years messaged me saying he could have just shot blasted them for me! :doh:
Not too worried though as the GL is a long term project and I have no time scales to work to, especially seeing as I can't seem to afford insuring both at once for the time being!! :helpinghand:

I think my next focus is going to be sorting the little niggly bits on the Laser; the odd spot of rust on the arches and sills are more or the less the only things left on the bodywork that need sorting (other than a complete re-spray!) along with a new rear bumper that has been waiting to be fitted for almost a year! I'm hoping these little bits will make a nice winter project provided Christmas doesn't cost me a small fortune...

All the best
Danny

PS
I didn't realise the socks would become such a hit! I will make sure I model them more often! :lol:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Hey, how much was that spiffy new rad and where'd ya get it from?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Arya2.0S wrote:Hey, how much was that spiffy new rad and where'd ya get it from?
Ahoy there, I got mine on eBay, I have put the link below for you and from memory is the same price I paid

Does a great job and is lovely and shiny so well worth it :lol: Look at this on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400811071210

All the best
Danny
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

D366Y wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Hey, how much was that spiffy new rad and where'd ya get it from?
Ahoy there, I got mine on eBay, I have put the link below for you and from memory is the same price I paid

Does a great job and is lovely and shiny so well worth it :lol: Look at this on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400811071210

All the best
Danny
Thanks!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Just a quick little winter update...

Not much has been happening really, the car still gets used all year round (unless it's raining and I don't want to get soaked taking the cover off) so had fun with it over the weekend until the ruddy thing bottom-ed out going around some new build estate and made the exhaust pop apart at the bottom of the downpipe/manifold section!!

A very loud drive home to say the least but also gave me an excuse to ignore the Mrs the next morning to go out and fix it and play with niggling bits like finally changing the rear light cluster to fix dodgy brake lights and give the car a good wash...

At that point I realised, like I'm, sure most of us must do, all the tiny typically insignificant blemishes and have therefore decided to finally sort out the rear arches, both sills and rear bumper which all need tidying up/repairing/replacing and seeing as I have next week off, hopefully it will look great over the Christmas period while I drive up and down the country seeing family!

Finger's crossed my plan works out and I can get some lovely photos up when things start happening :)

All the best
Danny
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Another brief update, there was way more welding involved than either I or the garage realised!

Got the car back yesterday and because I want to drive the car over Christmas I'll get the new rear bumper fitted and sprayed and then we will almost be there...!!

Although on a separate more annoying note, the whole front bonnet now needs to be re-sprayed as when I was sat in stationary traffic on my way to have the welding started, some moron pedestrian decided to run out in the road, ran into the front wing, rolled onto and then off of my lovely bonnet again leaving a scratch from the middle of the bonnet bulge, right the way down to the lights.

:swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

Why do pedestrians do such silly things....

More to come probably in the New Year, until then Merry Christmas!

All the best
Danny
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Danny,
Sorry to hear that your car has been in the wars. What an idiot that pedestrian must have been.
I must admit, it did cross my mind that this incident might be something to do with a fake injury claim, however, if an ambulance wasn't called to the scene I doubt anything will come of it.
A good reason to invest in a dash cam, I think.

All the best,
Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Hi Andrew,

I was just startled by the whole thing! No sooner had this guy run out into the side of the car had he run off again! Was certainly a strange occurrence as other than that my day continued as normal! But I think I will treat myself after Christmas with a dash cam, I can no longer risk some of these crazy old ladies pulling out on me!

Danny
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote:Hi Andrew,

I was just startled by the whole thing! No sooner had this guy run out into the side of the car had he run off again! Was certainly a strange occurrence as other than that my day continued as normal! But I think I will treat myself after Christmas with a dash cam, I can no longer risk some of these crazy old ladies pulling out on me!

Danny
:doh: Lets hope his B******S Fester for Xmas.......
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote:some moron pedestrian decided to run out in the road, ran into the front wing, rolled onto and then off of my lovely bonnet again leaving a scratch from the middle of the bonnet bulge
Sounds like he was showing off to his mates 'doing a Professionals', or something like that?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

[quote="D366Y"]But I think I will treat myself after Christmas with a dash cam, I can no longer risk some of these crazy old ladies pulling out on me!/quote]
Hi Danny,
There I go spending your hard-earned money for you again!

Have a good Christmas,
Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Been a while... I got the welding done but haven't had it properly painted yet, just stone chipped to stop any damage to it, and I think it will hopefully be sorted by the end of Feb along with a new rear Bumper + brackets all fitted!

In the meantime I finally got round to turning my drums from a hideous orangey colour to something slightly shinier!

Danny
Last edited by D366Y on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

OK so there will probably be some delay with the repainting of freshly welded bits and the new bumpers/brackets hopefully by end of March, but I decided that the RS4 Spokes I currently have on need to be refurbed as well as the ones on the GL as Ayra has done such a good job on his I want mine that shiny too :lol:

In the meantime I decided that I might as well get something nice and meaty to roll around on so made an order this morning for these beauties

ImageIMG-20170314-WA0000 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

They should be here by the end of the week which means I can start sanding the RS4s as well as the other set that still need doing!

Excited doesn't even come close :mrgreen: :applaud: :guitar:
Last edited by D366Y on Thu May 03, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Very nice, definitely need a set like that for mine one day.
Post pics when you get them fitted!