Laser + GL and now a 3.0S!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Laser + GL

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Danny,
Love the wheels! What size tyres are you fitting?

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Danny,
Love the wheels! What size tyres are you fitting?

Andrew.
Well... interesting story behind that.... :roll:

JBW can supply the wheels with either 175/60, 185/60 or 205/60s. When I posted about getting these wheels Nick messaged about a guy who fitted 205s and had to jiggle things round a bit to make it work and I didn't really want to have to start squeezing them in or mod the body excessively to make it fit so was torn between 175/185.

The other thing I was keeping an eye out for is that I am a sucker for tyre writing. Absolutely love it so was keeping an eye out for what I could get on those two sizes that would look good and eventually settled for 175/60.

Then Saturday just gone I drove from Uxbridge to Bolton and then straight back again to collect the tyres! I could buy them new for £160 or get some part worns with 6mm on them still for £30... Including petrol It was still £60 cheaper than buying them brand new!! 9hours later I had everything ready and sorted so enjoy some pictures...

First off, me slowly peeling back the many layers of protection as they arrived...

So shiny!!!!!! :lowrider: :lowrider:

Fitted the tyres, though they are much wider than I initially realised or though they would be
ImageIMG-20170304-WA0006 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

Started the trye writing and looking pretty sweet if I do say so!
ImageIMG-20170305-WA0000 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

In future I would probably go for at least 185, probably More like 205 as the tyres have been pretty stretched to go on! Not a fan at first but its slowly growing on me.

Sorry my socks aren't more interesting this time, will make sure they are more exciting in future :lol:

Cheers
Danny
Last edited by D366Y on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Danny,
D366Y wrote:Sorry my socks aren't more interesting this time
You've let us down, you've let the car down, but most of all you've let yourself down! :D (I jest, of course!)

The wheels do look really good.
The reason I asked what tyre size you were fitting was because of the stretch of original size tyres. If they look OK I wouldn't worry too much.

Sorry to have to say this, but personally, I wouldn't recommend fitting part worn tyres as you just don't know the history of them or how they've been treated. Even if they have got 6mm of tread, how old are they? Check the date code on the sidewall to find out. For safety, experts recommend not using tyres over six years old, but that could be open to debate, I suppose.

Back to the wheels.....I can't wait to see a photo of them fitted to your car. :D

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

You've let us down, you've let the car down, but most of all you've let yourself down! :D (I jest, of course!)
I know I know, I'm sorry!! I'll make more of an effort next time :lol:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:The wheels do look really good.
The reason I asked what tyre size you were fitting was because of the stretch of original size tyres. If they look OK I wouldn't worry too much.
Thanks Andrew, I did worry a bit at first about the stretch but I've seen much worse on other cars, but it does leave the rims slightly exposed so will just have to extra careful when parking near a kerb!
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Sorry to have to say this, but personally, I wouldn't recommend fitting part worn tyres as you just don't know the history of them or how they've been treated. Even if they have got 6mm of tread, how old are they? Check the date code on the sidewall to find out. For safety, experts recommend not using tyres over six years old, but that could be open to debate, I suppose.
The dates is 3610 which as I understand it is the 36th week of 2010... Just over the 6years recommended, I know there are varying schools of thoughts on how old tyres should be, the set I had when the bought the car didn't even have dates on :shock: which shows how old they were but never had any issues with cracking/damage to them so left it until they needed to be changed for some fresh ones...

I was planning to fit them over the next few days but I'm now driving down to Southampton on Saturday afternoon, then back up to Peterborough the next day to swap a gearbox with a chap on the forum so I can actually go back to having 5 working gears again!

I will update this thread when everything is done rest assured!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Danny,

Those wheels do look dam good mate. Stunning in fact! Love Em !! I remember the feeling I had when I first seen mine and they are only baby 7's compared to you :D.

I was very tempted to go for these at the time as I told you but that offset of -19 put me off a tad. In a way I wish I had given them a go but I prob would have gone with the 205's therefore mods would have most likely been required to get them to fit properly. I remember doing a bit of research before deciding on fitting the 7x13 as a few guys with 7.5's were saying they "had to make them fit" but fitting the 175's definitely give you a bit more room to play with mate. Even the CCI used to say "mods required" for the 7.5's in their previous catalogues, whilst now they say "fits all Capris" !

Yep the rim is a tad exposed with the 175's as you say but tell you what fella that don't look bad at all. That's a lot better than I imagined. Nice one ! I seen plenty similar to this at shows with the rim slightly exposed and reckon it looks fine mate. Just make sure you have checked all avenues when they are fitted mate and you are happy with them...which wont be difficult :lol:

Cant wait to hear how it goes Danny. Please post up pics the min you fit them....ok after you have stared at them for a few hours with your lower jaw dropping out of sight cause you wont know yourself when you actually see them on your Capri mate :xd: :xd: :xd:

All the best Danny,

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Hi Danny,

Those wheels do look dam good mate. Stunning in fact! Love Em !! I remember the feeling I had when I first seen mine and they are only baby 7's compared to you :D.

I was very tempted to go for these at the time as I told you but that offset of -19 put me off a tad. In a way I wish I had given them a go but I prob would have gone with the 205's therefore mods would have most likely been required to get them to fit properly. I remember doing a bit of research before deciding on fitting the 7x13 as a few guys with 7.5's were saying they "had to make them fit" but fitting the 175's definitely give you a bit more room to play with mate. Even the CCI used to say "mods required" for the 7.5's in their previous catalogues, whilst now they say "fits all Capris" !

Yep the rim is a tad exposed with the 175's as you say but tell you what fella that don't look bad at all. That's a lot better than I imagined. Nice one ! I seen plenty similar to this at shows with the rim slightly exposed and reckon it looks fine mate. Just make sure you have checked all avenues when they are fitted mate and you are happy with them...which wont be difficult :lol:

Cant wait to hear how it goes Danny. Please post up pics the min you fit them....ok after you have stared at them for a few hours with your lower jaw dropping out of sight cause you wont know yourself when you actually see them on your Capri mate :xd: :xd: :xd:

All the best Danny,

Nick
I just can't stop staring at them! I'm like a magpie being drawn towards shiny things :lol:

I will make sure i post some pictures when they are on but not sure if I will get a chance this week... I'll make sure I let you know how difficult it is as well :lol:

Danny
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
What is the offset of the standard laser wheels?

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
What is the offset of the standard laser wheels?

Andrew.
19 I believe....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote:19 I believe....
If all the details I've entered are correct, the outer rim will stick out 57mm more than your old set up.
http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?wi ... ffset2=-19

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
D366Y wrote:19 I believe....
If all the details I've entered are correct, the outer rim will stick out 57mm more than your old set up.
http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?wi ... ffset2=-19

Andrew.
That's the plan!! :P

I used this website to check the difference and while 60mm seems like a fair bit there seems to be plenty of space under those arches... only time will tell though :lol:

Danny
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

You're a disgrace to the car (and sock) gods!

Seriously though, i'm thinking of getting some new rims too. Was thinking about these exact same ones but im worried by all the comments about "making them fit" etc etc.

Why if they use 205 tyres like the 2.8 pepperpots do, is there fitment issues? The pepperpots fit on Capris (2.8i or 1.6, doesnt seem to matter) without issues? Im a total noob when it comes to wheels and offsets and know nothing about tyres so excuse my naivety.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Arya2.0S wrote:
You're a disgrace to the car (and sock) gods!

Seriously though, i'm thinking of getting some new rims too. Was thinking about these exact same ones but im worried by all the comments about "making them fit" etc etc.

Why if they use 205 tyres like the 2.8 pepperpots do, is there fitment issues? The pepperpots fit on Capris (2.8i or 1.6, doesnt seem to matter) without issues? Im a total noob when it comes to wheels and offsets and know nothing about tyres so excuse my naivety.
Basically these wheels are much deeper than the original pepperpots and 4 spokes hence why it may be difficult. As Andrew mentions above it will be approximately 56mm (5.5cm/2inches) so far wider than standard. the first part of trye size is the overall width of them, so 175 tyres are narrower than 205s hence why my tyres are stretched slightly. 205s would fit as normal, but as I mentioned, I preferred the look of these tyres and should be easier to fit under the arches. I'll post a picture of both wheels next to each other to give an idea for you,

All the best
Danny
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Yeah but I'm still confused.... Pepperpots take 205 tyres too, so if that's what these are meant to have then why would there be fitment issues? Would 205's be stretched on the rim too?
Only thing I'd be worried about is the rear left tyre fouling the exhaust, on mine at least there isn't much room between it and the tyre but I have a welded up old aftermarket performance exhaust on mine that's never fit properly, I wonder if I had one which does fit properly if that would still be an issue?
What exhaust do you have on yours?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:Yeah but I'm still confused.... Pepperpots take 205 tyres too, so if that's what these are meant to have then why would there be fitment issues?
Hi,
The issue here is not so much with the width of the tyres, but more with the offset of the wheels. The offset of the new wheels mean that they will stick out 30mm more than the pepperpots do. That could cause the wheels to foul on the bodywork, especially with the front wheels on full lock.

205 tyres are 8 inches wide, so they should fit on the 7.5 inch JBW rims with no stretch.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Arya2.0S wrote:Yeah but I'm still confused.... Pepperpots take 205 tyres too, so if that's what these are meant to have then why would there be fitment issues? Would 205's be stretched on the rim too?
Only thing I'd be worried about is the rear left tyre fouling the exhaust, on mine at least there isn't much room between it and the tyre but I have a welded up old aftermarket performance exhaust on mine that's never fit properly, I wonder if I had one which does fit properly if that would still be an issue?
What exhaust do you have on yours?
I have a 3" Sportex kit, straight through so no silencers :P :twisted:

Also agree with Andrews point that it's not so much the tyre size if you are comparing standard wheels but when you change that, that's where the difference is.

Pepperpots and RS4 Spokes are both "7J" meaning that the rim width is 7inches. These are 7.5J meaning they are an extra half inch wider than the standard wheels already before we factor in the tyres.

Image1489149330821-722494923 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

This is a very (very) crude and not to scale drawing to give an idea... The 205 tyres are wider than the rims on standard wheels, and 185 tyres are roughly the same size as standard rims, hence why on the larger one below they are 'stretched' as narrower.

My main concern isn't that the tryes won't fit but as Andrew says whether or not they foul the bodywork, I had the same issue as you previously and had the rear wheel rubbing on the exhaust so I hammered that section flat to solve the problem :lol:

I'll try and fit them over the weekend (fingers crossed) and take some snaps to show how it goes
Last edited by D366Y on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Ahh, right I understand now. Sorry for the dumb questions. Can't wait to see what they look like, I'm seriously considering getting either a set of these or some superlights for mine, but obviously if these are going to cause issues that will make my decision easier, though hopefully you'll be ok because I've seen plenty of non xpack Capri's running these and they didn't appear to have any issues.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Fitted and no worries! Fills the arches a real treat and looks much wider...

I have single rear leaf springs and as far as I'm aware the original front suspension and there is no rubbing anywhere, I just feel like that rim is very exposed now so next time out I will definitely be fitting 205 tyres so they are wider and cover the lip haha

I will upload some pictures at some point over this weekend!

Danny
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

D366Y wrote:Fitted and no worries! Fills the arches a real treat and looks much wider...

I have single rear leaf springs and as far as I'm aware the original front suspension and there is no rubbing anywhere, I just feel like that rim is very exposed now so next time out I will definitely be fitting 205 tyres so they are wider and cover the lip haha

I will upload some pictures at some point over this weekend!

Danny
Hmm...so tempted by a set now myself, but they are over £100 more than the superlights....but they look so good and keep some of that original flavor since they still look like Ford wheels....its a tough decision.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: I just feel like that rim is very exposed now so next time out I will definitely be fitting 205 tyres so they are wider and cover the lip haha
Hi,
I'm not sure they are something I'd fit, but at least they are available in black, and a full set is cheaper than a wheel refurb.
https://www.alloygator.com/

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

D366Y wrote:Fitted and no worries! Fills the arches a real treat and looks much wider...
Have you tried "full lock" yet Danny :lol:

Seriously though mate, That's brilliant Danny ! So glad they fitted without any 'snags' fella. Cant wait to see them mate ! Beaulieu ?? So you reckon you can get away with bigger tyres than 175's without rubbing then Danny ? Now I am getting very tempted about getting a set at some stage myself as they do look so dam good :) I can claw back some of the money from selling mine. Yep, I am talking myself into it. Think I just added a set of these onto my "to buy" list but as there are a long list of other parts and these are not vital they will have to go at the bottom....for now...bet when I see yours Danny I will turn my list upside down so they are top :lol:

Danny, as I said previously mate I seen a few cars with rims a bit exposed and thought they looked absolutely fine but as I have not seen yours in the flesh don't know how exposed you mean you actually are Danny but by jeepers I bet those rims look stunning. Great job young man !! :)

All the best now

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...