Laser + GL and now a 3.0S!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Laser + GL

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Fordoholic Nick wrote:Image
Looks like both cars have broken down at the same time. What are the chances? :lol:

Is that John's Honda at the front of the queue? It's almost the same colour as the Lacquer red twins.....

Andrew.
I think maybe these two have a thing for Lacquer Red cars....
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

andyd wrote:That's it now Nick, no excuse not to get it wet again :lol:
Andy, as said mate I just cant be doing with all this fella. It really took me ages to get it cleaned/dryed off proper. Gave it a quick waxing too :lol:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Looks like both cars have broken down at the same time.
Believe it or not we were actually comparing ignition coils...so there !! :tongue: :lol: And John fired his V6 up so I could have another listen to it. Crikey it sounds so good...even in the rain !!
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Is that John's Honda at the front of the queue? It's almost the same colour as the Lacquer red twins.....
:lol: Yep, Well spotted mate it is Johns. Maybe I should have asked him to open the bonnet to this as well for the picture :)
D366Y wrote:I also can't believe you guys dry it off so thoroughly... :shock: I mean fair play but must take an age! I just drive it and wash it
:wave: Took a bleedin age indeed Danny...but I did not give up till it was fit for me to close the garage door :)

Image20170312_164712 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

:lol: :lol: I was young and free just like you once upon a time Andy...but I did not have a 3"straight thru exhaust and 7.5" rims mate so :applaud:

Be great if you can make Beaulieu Danny. Weather permitting ( :wave: ) should be a cracking day. It really is a brilliant show indeed !

All the best chaps

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Danny, those 7.5's look fantastic fella !! Excellent job mate ! Love Em :applaud: :D :D

I see you aint got those lock nuts yet young man !! You really should for extra security mate, As said McGard do really good ones that look pretty cool too as well as being very good quality. Don't risk it too much longer especially if you park your Capri outside. Whilst extra bricks might come in useful at some stage for you, 'free' bricks supporting your Laser aint really what I was thinking :)
Nick, to put your mind at rest the McGard wheel nuts arrive today!! :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

D366Y wrote:Nick, to put your mind at rest the McGard wheel nuts arrive today!! :lol:
Brilliant ! :applaud: Nice one Danny. Your wheels deserve nothing less. Hope you see the quality I was on about ! Thanks for putting my mind at rest mate !

All the best

Nick
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
D366Y wrote:Nick, to put your mind at rest the McGard wheel nuts arrive today!! :lol:
Brilliant ! :applaud: Nice one Danny. Your wheels deserve nothing less. Hope you see the quality I was on about ! Thanks for putting my mind at rest mate !

All the best

Nick
Hey Nick, can you share any tips on the fine art of car detailing? I can never seem to get mine as clean as how i see other peoples cars online, especially yours. What sort of products do you use?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Arya2.0S wrote:
Fordoholic Nick wrote:

All the best

Nick
Hey Nick, can you share any tips on the fine art of car detailing? I can never seem to get mine as clean as how i see other peoples cars online, especially yours. What sort of products do you use?
I was going to ask the same thing, do you hand polish or buff it off with those electric buffer things?? Thinking of buying one to save me the effort :lol:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

According to a post in another thread, he uses Autoglym Super Resin Polish.....I use it too occasionally, great stuff.

Although I only use a detail spray with added wax and microfibre cloth 95% of the time :)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

andyd wrote:According to a post in another thread, he uses Autoglym Super Resin Polish.....I use it too occasionally, great stuff.

Although I only use a detail spray with added wax and microfibre cloth 95% of the time :)
I use the same stuff but I can never seem to get it as shiny as nick does :lol:

I usually have to polish as otherwise just end up with watermarks everywhere even after spending a hour with a chamois :headscratch:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote:I usually have to polish as otherwise just end up with watermarks everywhere even after spending a hour with a chamois :headscratch:
Hi Danny,
Do you rinse it out after use in warm soapy water?
For what it's worth, I find these much better to use and easier to care for than a genuine leather.
https://www.autoglym.com/hi-tech-aqua-dry

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
D366Y wrote:I usually have to polish as otherwise just end up with watermarks everywhere even after spending a hour with a chamois :headscratch:
Hi Danny,
For what it's worth, I find these much better to use and easier to care for than a genuine leather.

Andrew.
A Chamois is well out of date now imo....
This is what you want http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cl ... 0wodHyYE2g
Or
I use a waffle towel http://www.autojoy.co.uk/vehicle-washin ... p-599.html
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Arya2.0S wrote:Hey Nick, can you share any tips on the fine art of car detailing? I can never seem to get mine as clean as how i see other peoples cars online, especially yours. What sort of products do you use?
D366Y wrote:I was going to ask the same thing, do you hand polish or buff it off with those electric buffer things?? Thinking of buying one to save me the effort :lol:
Hi chaps. Sorry did not get a reply to you yesterday.

Yep just as Andy said I do indeed use Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Great stuff ! First came across this product when I had my previous '86 Laser. It was being demonstrated on a car at the Alexandra Palace Classic Car Show about 15yrs ago and gave amazing results right before my eyes !! Bought some from him there and then and was so happy with the results on my then Black Laser I have not used any other polish since. Now I know this is only personal recommendation but I really do like the stuff. They do a few different products but as this gives me the results I like I have stuck with it and still use it to this very day. It even removes light marks if applied with a slightly heavier hand. Don't know how you guys use it but I do a panel at a time, ie front wing, door, rear quarter. On bonnet I do it in two halves, same as roof ! Don't use a buffer, just good old elbow grease and decent microfibre cloths ! Now regarding the shine I get I think I am just blessed with a paint job that seems to take well to the stuff. Don't think I do anything too special, apart from taking my time over it :)

One very important tip when using this and indeed any polish/wax is you want the car panels to be as cool as possible when you apply. Do not do it in direct sunlight. Before when my previous Laser was parked on the road I used to move it over to the shady side of the road. In extreme heat wait till the evening if you can when the body panels get cooler. I always wash the car now then get it in the garage to polish.

I am very tempted to try an extra level of protection too.. I was chatting to some chaps at the mot garage on Thurs and they recommend applying Autoglym Extra Polish Protection after polishing with the Super Resin. It seals the shine to give an even greater protection to your polished shine. Any rain or new dirt just washes off this layer even easier than off the polished finish. I will report back if I do try this extra protection.

Now I also use Autoglym glass cleaner on the windows and I use Poorboys Pink wax on the alloys which not only shine them a treat but leaves a protective layer against dirt and the dreaded brake dust. I tend to rinse off my wheels after any sort of journey before putting B112 back in garage just to remove the brake dust. With the Poorboys wax it makes this easier too.

Oh yep, I also use the polish in the engine bay too which does amuse the neighbours somewhat !

All of this is pretty much a days work as I take my time and enjoy it :)

Hope this help ! But as said is only my personal choice of product to use. Many classic owners get stunning results using other methods/products. I just really like Autoglym !

All the best

Nick

PS I too agree chamois cloths are not as great as they were first rated as years ago. Times change and like it or not more modern products actually do a better job. I really like that drying cloth Andy mentioned. Not tried one of these but methinks its time now. Thanks for the heads up Andy :D
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Hi Danny,

Andrew.
If I can be bothered I try to clean it afterwards but it's usually an afterthought to be honest as I never get to do the whole car properly before I get interrupted by someone and need to do something else :lol:

I have both a leather chamois and faux-leather and they are both pretty shit!

I usually wash the whole car, rinse off with clean water, then microfibrre the whole car before starting the chamois it as the microfibre takes most of the water off before I start drying it...

The large towel looks much better though, will have to invest in one of those me-thinks!

Also cheers for what you use Nick, I use auto-glym on everything! Including their vinyl and rubber care spray for the over-riders and rear spoiler!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Thanks Nick! I shall invest in some of these products asap.
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote:
The large towel looks much better though, will have to invest in one of those me-thinks!

Also cheers for what you use Nick, I use auto-glym on everything! Including their vinyl and rubber care spray for the over-riders and rear spoiler!
My Son is a valeter and he recommends lots of great cleaning products, but I stick with what I like....What I don't have i don't miss.

Those Microfibre drying towels are great though as they will hold alot of water, so you shouldn't need to chamois at all :D

:goodluck:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
Those Microfibre drying towels are great though as they will hold alot of water, so you shouldn't need to chamois at all :D
Another microfibre fan here! You can get them from anywhere too, think I paid £3 for a pack in Asda once.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:
Another microfibre fan here! You can get them from anywhere too, think I paid £3 for a pack in Asda once.
Hi Paul,
Yes there are plenty of cheap ones around, I think they are great for the interior.
I have bought good ones at shows for £1.50 each, but have some of these now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Superior- ... 3641.l6368
Really nice to use.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
The microfibre cloths do seem to vary in quality. I got some from Halfords own branded items once, but they are nowhere near as soft as Autoglym ones.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
The microfibre cloths do seem to vary in quality. I got some from Halfords own branded items once, but they are nowhere near as soft as Autoglym ones.

Andrew.
You get what you pay for Andrew :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:You get what you pay for Andrew :)
If only that was true all the time. The trouble with Ebay is that some sellers sell inferior products at a premium price. You can't tell until it's been delivered. I might buy some of those cloths in the link you posted, I'll trust your advice!

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:You get what you pay for Andrew :)
If only that was true all the time. The trouble with Ebay is that some sellers sell inferior products at a premium price. You can't tell until it's been delivered. I might buy some of those cloths in the link you posted, I'll trust your advice!

Andrew.
:agree:
You wont regret these cloths they are really soft.....Not sure if this is the same seller, but defiantly same cloths and price.
They also sell in different amounts if you go to their shop, but the more you buy the cheaper they are :cheers:

I await your thoughts if you get some :)

I also recommend one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KENT-CAR-CARE ... 2146764581 Prices vary depending where you buy.