My 2.8

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Dansta
Car(s): 1985 2.8i Special
Jaguar F-Pace daily driver

My 2.8

Post by Dansta »

MOT is due this week so I finally got round to some more in depth service checks. What with one thing and another (rear axle bearings leaking diff oil onto brakes for several years and some electrical gremlins), I've only put 200 miles on the clock since I bought the car last autumn. Loving the car though.

Anyway. The inside of the plenum is full of crap. Needs a good strip down and clean. I'd bet that not running an air filter (as I discovered when I did an oil and filter change straight after I bought it) has partially caused that.

Valve gaps. Err what gaps. All exhausts on N/S bank all closed up. Minimal gaps on O/S exhausts. Inlets not much better either. Now adjusted according to Haynes Manual.

Timing. Gosh! So advanced its literally off the scale. Reset to 9 deg since I'm running 95 unleaded. Also I can now set a sensible idle speed.

Emissions are a bit perplexing. Ok I've only got a home CO tester but it shows the N/S bank pushing out 3% CO. That was 3.8% prior to setting gaps and timing. Equally the O/S is now running 2.5% where as that was 1.5% before setting gaps and timing. Now that the valves and timing are set ok, I'm wondering whether to lean the mixture back a bit. Mind you I wonder how long it had been running in that inbalanced state and whether the remaining imbalance is indicative of some internal strife. I've not done a compression test yet but I am wondering whether there's a bit of valve seat recession. Anyway lets see if the MOT passes on wednesday first.....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: My 2.8

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Good luck with the MOT. You definitely deserve a pass with all the work you've done to the car.

Andrew.
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

I would say your mixture is spot on as I have always had a difference in my 2 banks as do most 2.8 owners and so use the advice many give to set mixture at 2.8% average of the 2 banks which is what you currently have.
Dansta

Post by Dansta »

Thanks Brooky. If that seems to be normal, then great.
Laser84
Car(s): Ford caprI laser 1.6 project/ weekend fun
Vauxhall vivaro van daily driver lol
Gsxr 600

Post by Laser84 »

Good luck with your mot mate hope it passes
Dansta

Post by Dansta »

MOT passed yippee. Advisory for binding front brakes only. Should be easily sorted.
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

Another relieved owner, now time to enjoy the drive :woot:
Well done
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Dansta wrote:MOT passed yippee.
Good feeling isn't it :D
brooky wrote:Another relieved owner, now time to enjoy the drive
:agree:
Dansta

Post by Dansta »

Definitely yes. What with one thing and another my first 9 months of Capri ownership has been good from the perspective of getting to know the mechanical and electrical aspects of the car, just not so good on the driving around part. Making amends for that now though!