1984 2.8i special

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

1984 2.8i special

Post by Bertie »

Hello all, sorry for length of post but the last time I owned a Capri was is 1984 so it's been a while, lurking around here in the background reading your posts for the last 18 months has done nothing but cement the idea of owning another. Following a number of visits to see let's say "less than described" cars for good money and purely a lack of cars for sale I presumed it would take quite a while as I'm a picky begger at best.

By chance I was informed of a 2.8i special for sale in NI, 3 owners, 74k miles with some service history, following a short discussion with the owner a flight was booked. To cut a long story short the owner and his family were fantastic, made me most welcome and were a delight to deal with. The car on the other hand was running rough, cold/hot start issues,tappets noisy, exhaust blowing, various oil leaks, possible rear diff issue and the interior leaves much to be desired and replaced/sourced. At first everything said walk away but apart from the two lower rear quarter panels it's a solid car. The test drive was interesting...I loved it, warts and all, the car screamed "save me" so following much negotiation and not knowing if the car would even make it home I booked a ferry and arrived back this morning. I will take some decent pics and post them tomorrow as I was knackered by the time we got home and the weather was garbage. Once again, I love it warts and all.... :wub:

Cheers, Des

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 1984 2.8i special

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Des,
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:
What good solid looking Capri you've got there, with a little TLC in the right places it will be a stunner once again.
You've been away from the Capri scene for so long, but now it sounds as though the fire has been re-ignited. You definitely won't regret buying another and you won't be able to stop smiling!

All the best,
Andrew.
andy a
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '69 Mk1 Capri 1300 Daily (now gone to a new owner)

73 Facelift 2000 GT long term project...

Post by andy a »

Welcome aboard Des,

Looks very good from what can be seen in the picture, and if it's all there body wise, that's the hard bit out of the way.

I know what you mean about badly described cars, there are plenty about, and they're up for strong money as a rule, but it looks like you've done well with yours,

Andy
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

Thanks for the welcome Andrew, Andy.

Big smiles all the way home and yes I paid what I believe is a fair price considering even the average/small jobs soon add up. For example I'm looking for a good rear wiper/ motor mechanism which seems to come in at between £25/£40 dependent on condition and I have a long list of items to find....

Des
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Des
You have a PM.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Very nice Bertie, and I love the colour. What colour is that?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Hi Bertie,
:welcome: :D
Some nice Cars come from NI
I have bought 2 cars from there but didn't go over I got them shipped back.
Await more pics :D

Andy
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

HI Bertie

Looking good there, the most important part of the capri is the bodywork and chassis. If that is solid then the mechanicals are easier to sort by the home DIY mechanic.

What are the plans for the car, Are you going to keep it original or are you going to upgrade and change bits?

Keep the posts coming and good luck
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Hi Des,

:welcome: to the forum............ Your car looks great :D As said above the bodywork is the most important thing and yours looks great! The mechanical stuff is relatively easy to sort with a bit of help from the friendly bunch of members on here.

Looking forward to seeing you and the Capri at a few meets next year :D

All the best
Neil
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys it's much appreciated...

The colour is Lacquer Red or as most people say when they see it Burgundy, seems to be a marmite colour but I obviously love it.

I don't want to mod the car other than sensible additions, I loved them in stock form so I will endeavour to keep it that way if I can. I do however need to change the exhaust system so I've heard much about the janspeed system including manifolds, my question is is it worth the cost as I don't want any boom in the cab system..?

On the ramp on Monday for a full service, g/box, diff oil change, full coolant/rad flush, hoses change, brakes and suspension check etc so I will be able to give a better brief re rust etc then. I have an old guy (well a bit older than me :D ) coming up to see me and check the fuelling etc and set it right as required.

What are the best shows for next year my car won't be finished but who cares :cool:

Des
Last edited by Bertie on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Hi Des,

The Janspeed exhaust is possibly the best exhaust option for the 2.8. I fitted one last year and I haven't stopped grinning when I drive it since :lol:
They have a nice note to them, not too loud and you don't get any droning sound from them on the motorway.
Have a little search on youtube, you'll find a few video's on there with Capri's fitted with Janspeed exhausts and others.

This is mine and Brooky's in the Hindhead tunnel both fitted with Janspeed exhausts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIRoCtEQIEs

All the best
Neil
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

Thanks Neil that sounds great... Was it a straight forward replacement re manifolds from stock etc any issues?

Des
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Bertie wrote:Thanks Neil that sounds great... Was it a straight forward replacement re manifolds from stock etc any issues?

Des
No major issues. Took me about a day working off a trolley jack and some axle stands. I only came up with one issue where one of the back boxes was a little tight to the underside of the car and I had to cut a bit of material from the joint to get it to fit better.

All the best
Neil
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Janspeed-Capr ... Swo8hTosyF
Unfortunately they have gone up so far from cheap, but they are by far the best system for the V6 IMO and worth the extra ££s
Fitting is fairly straight forward, IIRC one manifold is harder than the other but a garage did mine in 2 hours.

Andy
capri28
Car(s): Rosso Red Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Daily driver)
Stratos Silver Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Summer driver)

Post by capri28 »

Definately the Janspeed system... had mine fitted a few months ago, the best thing i ever did, the fit is perfect & the noise is just hypnotic!!

I have the magnex system on my other 2.8 & its not a patch on the janspeed. When funds allow i will be purchasing another, though i've noticed its gone up in price agaian!
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

Sounds like Janspeed is the way to go - it better be at that price... :o

Ordered one and should be with me early next week, thanks for the feedback all.

Further checks about the boot areas revealed slight surface rust but nothing major and original stickers in place which is a good sign..

Just a thought, should I start another thread about this elsewhere or carry on here?

Des
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Bertie wrote:Just a thought, should I start another thread about this elsewhere or carry on here?
Hi Des,
I would carry on here, that way everything is in one place.

Andrew.
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

These are the readings before full service, timing check, fuel system check, exhaust replacement etc next week, any thoughts?

Cleaned the interior out main issue is the drivers bolster but Martin came to the rescue and is sending me enough leather to sort this out, once done I'll connalise the rest. Also replacing the rear wiper motor and mech plus the long plastic outer cover...thanks Martin

Not unusual to find a spurious audio head unit but I'll try to find an original if poss..need to replace the aerial as its kaput and I'll find speakers to replace the originals...

Looked at the spurious plate on the n/s front in the engine bay, checked the inner wing which is solid so it's coming off tomorrow to see what's underneath. I'm aware it should be a pad so god knows why it's there..if you see anything else which seem incorrect let me know please..

That all for now..but can't wait to get him running right and the Janspeed on... :beer:

Des
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Bertie wrote:These are the readings before full service, timing check, fuel system check, exhaust replacement etc next week, any thoughts?
I don't have a 2.8 so someone else will be better to advise, but the oil pressure seems very low to me Bertie.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Des,
I think the oil pressure seems about right for a 2.8 on tickover, which looks a touch high, I think it should be around 850-900RPM when the engine is warm, if I recall correctly.
The oil pressure should rise to around half way up the gauge when revved.

All the best,
Andrew.