MattMe's 1984 2.8 Injection

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: MattMe's 1984 2.8 Injection

Post by pbar »

Whereabouts is that place you're using Matt?
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

pbar wrote:Whereabouts is that place you're using Matt?
It's in Stockport. North West Classics, I think they're called, but you won't find anything about them online - I think they prefer to be discreet, a lot of money's worth in that garage!
I can PM details to anyone who's interested.
I was originally looking North of Manchester but after being let down a couple times I expanded my search area and came across these guys.
pbar

Post by pbar »

PM sent Matt.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Back from the shotblasters.
Not a lot of change visually:

The blasting has uncovered the ugly truth in a few areas though...
This is my favourite one, just for the humour value - dodgy repairs on rear chassis section. This is to be removed and made good:

Rear of sill offside:

Part of the scuttle previous repair:

Front panel has gone a bit Swiss cheese on me:

Some holes showing on the lower door corner, passenger side:

And one of the worst bits - front of the wing. It's original so it's getting repaired rather than replaced. The guys do lead filling so I expect an amount of that will be taking place (headlamp bowls original and perfect condition):

Overall it's nothing serious, and could have been a lot worse so I'm fairly happy.
The underside is going to be sealed around all the joins to prevent any water seeping in, then stone chipped, painted body colour and lacquered. The guys have seen photos of Weebob's Cardinal Red thread and keep saying it's got to be at least as good as that. I'll be pretty happy if it comes out anything near that standard.

So lots of welding work and prep this week, with a view to get it in the paint booth next to start the underside. During that period I'll be rebuilding the suspension and painting lots of bits that live under the car. That'll be bolted back on and the topside begun, during which point I'll start on the engine (mainly tidying up what's there).

Exciting times.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
It sounds as though you've definitely managed to find the right guys for the job.
I'm looking forward to seeing more photos as the work progresses. You'll have a right stunner if the guys can achieve the standard of weebob's car.

Andrew.
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Post by tazla »

Getting there matt,well worth the heartache,the shells in really good condition,thank god when baremetalled it wasn't a dog,keep up the good work,mel
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Hi Mel,

Thanks very much for that.

It is getting there slowly. This weekend I've stripped down the front struts ready to take new bearings, brakes, callipers, springs etc. Ready for primer/paint later in the week.
Next weekend the rear axle is getting the same treatment, followed by some generous application of Por15.

Should only be a couple weeks away from paint now.

I think/hope I'm past the heartache stage. I'm really just enjoying the whole process and making the best possible car I can.
Last edited by MattMe on Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Small update from this weekend.

The lead filling has begun on the scuttle and bonnet. It's quite an uncommon process nowadays but I believe despite the additional work involved provides a better repair than filler. As you can see the repairs look completely original:

Small amounts of filler will be used to skim over the surface to make it completely smooth for paint. Hopefully I'll have photos of that stage later on too.

All the loom and final bits and pieces are now removed from the engine bay. More sanding to be completed here yet:

Removed the front crossmember, rear axle and suspension etc which is currently work in progress

It's been a few years since I've got my hands dirty like this, but I very much enjoyed it. Lots of silver over-spray on the Billies for some reason. It's nowhere else on the car so not sure where that came from. :?:
We found a very good match for the original blue already.

The (utility room) workshop. Not easy removing hubs without a vice!:

A lot of sanding and painting to do yet, so expect more photos soon ;)

I noticed how much shorter the new springs are in comparison. These are 145lb, 1" drop from Capri Club.

Rear end work starts this weekend, as well as visiting someone who can press out the old bearings and the new ones in for the front hubs and rear halfshafts.
Last edited by MattMe on Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbar

Post by pbar »

It does look like they're doing a thorough job at that place you've found Matt. Regarding the springs, if you did decide to keep the ride height standard, I would definitely recommend the ones made by Kilen, I got mine from the local parts shop, absolutely spot on.

http://www.kilensprings.com/
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

pbar wrote:It does look like they're doing a thorough job at that place you've found Matt. Regarding the springs, if you did decide to keep the ride height standard, I would definitely recommend the ones made by Kilen, I got mine from the local parts shop, absolutely spot on.

http://www.kilensprings.com/
Thanks for the link, I think I've had some springs from them in the past actually.

I decided to go a small drop and slightly stiffer in the end. I'm also fitting poly bushes and an A-frame at the back, as well as Spax adjustable shocks. I've bought a strut brace for the front which I'll have sprayed body colour with the rest of the car.
I know these aren't standard, and I am (paradoxically) aiming to make a very standard car, but I consider them easily reversible as they're literally a couple bolts to remove if I choose to do so in future. I've had similar mods to Capris in the past and felt they really made the car much sharper and more fun to drive in my opinion.
:drive:

Controversial :lol:

I was surprised because the springs look about 2-3 inches shorter. Guessing it's because they compress less due to being slightly stiffer.
Last edited by MattMe on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Matt,
Looking great. May I ask, what paint have you found that is a good match for the original Bilstein blue?

Andrew.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Matt,
Looking great. May I ask, what paint have you found that is a good match for the original Bilstein blue?

Andrew.
Thanks, Andrew. Looking back over the last few updates I've done there isn't a lot of obvious change. Maybe should rein in the photos a bit :/

That's a good question that I'll try and find out for you. I know it's a Fiat blue in aerosol, solid colour. It's not 100% perfect match as it's slightly less pale, but very hard to tell. We sprayed a sample on the struts before I dismantled them and really it was difficult to see where the new stopped and the old started.
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

Hi Matt

Great work going on and love the shot working in the utility room, my better half would kill me....

It's going to look the business once finished so keep the updates and pics coming... :D

Des
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Bertie wrote:Hi Matt

Great work going on and love the shot working in the utility room, my better half would kill me....

It's going to look the business once finished so keep the updates and pics coming... :D

Des
I'm quite lucky in that respect. The most I ever hear is 'What's that smell? Oh, it's bits of old car' but generally I tidy up after myself so she's very forgiving.
Still managing to hide more and more pieces around the house while it's all apart. Not sure if she's on to me yet. :whistle:

:lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MattMe wrote:That's a good question that I'll try and find out for you. I know it's a Fiat blue in aerosol, solid colour.
HI,
That would be great, thanks.
I notice that Fiat have a solid blue called Capri blue. Now, wouldn't that be a happy coincidence........ :D

Andrew.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
MattMe wrote:That's a good question that I'll try and find out for you. I know it's a Fiat blue in aerosol, solid colour.
HI,
That would be great, thanks.
I notice that Fiat have a solid blue called Capri blue. Now, wouldn't that be a happy coincidence........ :D

Andrew.
Haha, yes it would. I think it's called Fiat Racing Sport Blue or something ridiculous like that, so that's slightly less synonymous with the Capri I'm afraid!
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Progress was slow this weekend.
I got all the bearings changed, only to find out I may need to change the rear halfshaft ones again.
Prepped a of items for paint/Por15 but didn't get so far as actually painting them. The entire car is now to be painted on a jigs, rather than rolling, so there's slightly less pressure although given the amount of stuff left to do I'm definitely feeling it.

Some bits dismantled, ready for cleaned up. I got asked some weird and uncomfortable questions around the bags on top of the halfshafts...

Diff before:

Diff after degrease, and crossmember being soaked:

As expected there's a tiny hole near the clasp for the brake line allowing diff oil to leak, so good job I ordered a new one :)

Underside sealing - might be a bit OTT, but rather that than the alternative. New floor bungs in too:

Mounted on the jig, Nigel having a fag, looking knackered as usual ;):

I'll upload better pictures of the repairs and sealing etc when I receive them from the guys.

Stonechip and paint of the underside starts tomorrow...

I'm at a wedding this weekend so doubt I'll get change to get up and work on anything, so may be a couple weeks until the next update. I'm sure you're all on tenterhooks. :lol:
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

Hi Matt

Super work so far, your car really does look solid with minimal repairs to date. The problem I have reading your updates (and a few others on here) is its pushing me towards doing mine properly and having similar work done..... ;)

Keep the excellent updates coming it's going to be a cracker when finished...

Des
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Bertie wrote:Hi Matt

Super work so far, your car really does look solid with minimal repairs to date. The problem I have reading your updates (and a few others on here) is its pushing me towards doing mine properly and having similar work done..... ;)

Keep the excellent updates coming it's going to be a cracker when finished...

Des
Do it! They're still going up in value so it' snot that crazy... I think...

It did go from one thing to another fairly quickly. I've just buried my head in the sand with the cost :)
As soon as I decided I was going to do I just started enjoying the process, making the most of it and taking the time to get everything right. It's quite therapeutic in a way. It's also a bit surreal - I never even imagined I'd end up doing something like this to any car.
I am one for going to extremes with things. If I was going to do a resto of some description I was going to do a nut & bolt, bare metal resto.
No doubt even when it's done there'll be bits I'm not happy with and things I'll want to change, but at least this way my OCD will be happy with the base of what I've got...
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Stonechip going on:

The Cardinal red starts on the underside today hopefully.