MattMe's 1984 2.8 Injection

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Re: MattMe's 1984 2.8 Injection

Post by MattMe »

Peter-S wrote:
I think it looks OK, lol!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=38650&start=80
Wow, Peter, that's a very nice resto job you've done there. Your car looks excellent, and I thoroughly enjoyed spending an hour at work looking through it all!. I do like the 2.8 in black.

Just wondering what you did with your fuel sender. Sorry if I missed it in the thread somewhere, but I'm about to take off my tank and sort it all out and really want to get the sender working whilst I'm at it.
I'm following the Capri Power thread where a kind member is commissioning manufacturing a load of new ones, but wondered what other options I have.

Cheers,
Matt
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

You need to read this Matt viewtopic.php?f=17&t=46894&p=325624&hil ... ER#p325624

If you don't fancy having a go yourself mattswin will do it for you.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MattMe wrote:Just wondering what you did with your fuel sender.
Hi Matt,
I was just about to say exactly the same as Neil.
It's worth contacting the forum member mattswin, as the cost of repair is very good value, in my opinion.
I haven't heard of anybody taking him up on his offer though. Perhaps someone can give feedback on the repair if they have?

All the best,
Andrew.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Cheers guys.

I've saved that forum post, and have IM'd Mattswinn a few weeks ago. Don't think he's logged in for a while.

I might have to have a go myself, just not sure I've got a steady enough hand. The thread does make it look quite straight forward, but how on Earth do you stop the wire coil touching and shorting out?
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

MattMe wrote:

I might have to have a go myself, just not sure I've got a steady enough hand. The thread does make it look quite straight forward, but how on Earth do you stop the wire coil touching and shorting out?
looks like the board has serrations along the edges, keep the wire fairly taught as you wind it around and it should naturally leave a gap. Try not to bend the wire too much also, I would suggest rotating the board rather than wrapping the wire.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

sheff wrote:
MattMe wrote:

looks like the board has serrations along the edges, keep the wire fairly taught as you wind it around and it should naturally leave a gap. Try not to bend the wire too much also, I would suggest rotating the board rather than wrapping the wire.

Hmmm, tempting to give it a shot that.

Just to clarify Mattswinn's thread. He uses some 2 part epoxy on the front of the coil, and glue on the back? Doesn't the unit sit in the fuel? 've never had one out before so not entirely clear on how the whole thing works.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

MattMe wrote:
Just to clarify Mattswinn's thread. He uses some 2 part epoxy on the front of the coil, and glue on the back? Doesn't the unit sit in the fuel? 've never had one out before so not entirely clear on how the whole thing works.
Not how I read it. Epoxy on the back face only, something like this possibly http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_w ... mpound.htm. The front or contact face should be left bare, as that's what makes the electrical contact.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

MattMe wrote:
Peter-S wrote:
I think it looks OK, lol!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=38650&start=80
Wow, Peter, that's a very nice resto job you've done there. Your car looks excellent, and I thoroughly enjoyed spending an hour at work looking through it all!. I do like the 2.8 in black.

Just wondering what you did with your fuel sender. Sorry if I missed it in the thread somewhere, but I'm about to take off my tank and sort it all out and really want to get the sender working whilst I'm at it.
I'm following the Capri Power thread where a kind member is commissioning manufacturing a load of new ones, but wondered what other options I have.

Cheers,
Matt
Thanks Matt, yes, it kept me quiet for a while and still tinkering now.
The fuel sender was just cleaned and painted but it's not brilliant, I have to keep tabs on mileage as it tends to stick a little once half a tank has gone and then over reads. The one in the 2.0 tends to read low which is less of a worry. I have a spare sender I keep meaning to try but haven't got around to it yet.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Shopping list:

Poly bush set - Superflex (Capri Gear)
Rear brake drums, shoes, spring kit, cylinders (eBay)
Axle U Bolts (eBay)
"A Frame" axle location kit (eBay)
Avo Adjustable rear dampers (eBay)
1" lowered, 145lb front springs (Capri Club)
Tank strap bolts (Capri Club)
Fuel Filter (Capri Club)
Inner wing mud shields (Capri Club)
Pair TCA - QH (eBay)
HEL braided brake hose set (eBay)
Track rod ends (eBay)
Mintex discs & Pads
Lots of Zinc-plated shiny bolts.
Caliper rebuild kit (seals, pistons, bleed nipples)
Fuel hose (tank to pump)
VHT Paint for brakes
Rear wheel bearing kits (Capri Gear)

Total = ~£750.
:shock:

This came about because I thought whilst I'm dropping the tank I had may as well do it all at once. That and I can see that the bushes are visibly knackered so they really do need doing...
Oh dear, oh dear.

Already have oil for the diff, gasket and spreader plates for the cover. My new accumulator arrived the other day too.
Just need gearbox oil and whatever oil goes in the steering rack. Oh, and DOT4 brake fluid...

I think I'm just going to buy it all and pretend I wasn't paying attention to how much it all added up to! :whistle:
Last edited by MattMe on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I agree with you that it's best to buy all the goodies and get the work done in one go over the winter.
It's a tidy little sum to fork out, but when you're fitting it all you won't have time to think about how much you've spent! :D

All the best,
Andrew.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

It'll be like new. Underneath at least :lol:

I just want to get some use out of it. It's killing me not being able to go out in it.
I should have it sorted in time for the snowy and salty roads! As tempting as it'll be, I think I may save it for the good days in winter...
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Wow, it's been a while and a lot has changed since I last updated this thread.

The micro blistering across the entire car being the main thing. :roll:

So if you missed my whining to anyone who'll listen on the forum - the car is being treated to a bare metal respray including media blasted inner wings/arches and underside.

It's been in the workshop a few weeks awaiting some attention which was finally received today:

:shock:

Considering I bought the car to drive and enjoy, it's quite weird seeing like this. But I am now extremely excited to see this happening. I've followed so many excellent threads on here of people carrying out similar restos and never imagined I'd be doing the same.

I have decided to keep it totally standard, rubber strips, original Cardinal Red etc. I may fit after-market wheels...

The guys at the body shop have said they're very happy with the general condition of the car so far, just it was a poor paint job.
One thing they have suggested is leaving the wings on to preserve the originality of the car. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I guess media blasting all the inner-arches will show up any issues with rot, and currently they are a very good fit. I believe there's going to be some work needed passenger side inner wing top under the drip rail, but that could probably be sorted without removing the wings. I'll still have them take off the strut top reinforcements to check under there. Don't want to be revisiting this ever again!
What do you lot think?
Last edited by MattMe on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

HI Matt,
It's a bitter pill to swallow, but you're definitely doing the right thing. It sounds as though you have some good guys on the job, and you also have the correct attitude about ensuring the work is completed to a high standard. I can't wait to see some more photos as work progresses. It's also very good news that the guys are happy so far with what they've found under the paint.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Matt,

Nice one fella. You really pulled through on this mate. Some folk may have given up altogether with the massive disappointment you suffered at the hands of that severe mico-blistering...but here you are now not far off a new paint job already, and it certainly sounds like you found the right guys to do it. Sounds like the wings are not that bad at all which must be a relief, especially as you say they fit so well, and as Andrew said you are doing the right thing in being thorough and checking everything.

I am not surprised you are excited ! That Cardinal Red is gonna look absolutely stunning mate ! Cant wait to see it in all its glory again. I am really happy you have got to this stage so quickly Matt. All credit to you for turning a negative into such a posiitive :applaud:

In next to no time you will be driving down the local high street, slowing down to catch your reflection in the shop windows with a massive :D on your face !

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

Hi Matt

Great work and good for you sticking with it. Always a tence time and a few sleepless nights when stripping paint back but a big plus on the positive findings so far. Really do think it going to look the business in Cardinal red, good luck and keep the updates coming.... :cool:

Cheers, Des
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Hi Matt,
Glad you are getting it sorted and it sounds like it's in the right hands :D
Good choice keeping the original colour too :applaud:

:goodluck:

Andy
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement everyone.
:cheers:

I doubt I could have even got it this far without the wisdom of this forum :)

I'm expecting on closer inspection there will be some rust. For example the front edge of bonnet looks fine in these images but I know it will need some work. The garage have agreed to a reasonable hourly rate so I'm happy to get everything done properly.

I'll be over there myself on Monday so I'll hopefully get some more pictures.

If I'm this excited about the paint coming off, I can't image what I'll like with the paint going back on :geek:
Last edited by MattMe on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Went over to the workshop today to take out the dash and have a good look around at the state of things.

I have to say extremely happy to find almost no rust.
There's a small patch on the bottom of the passenger wing at the point of the wheel arch. All the arches seem great and original with no signs of being welded. Will have to wait and see what the media blasting uncovers this week to see inside the arches properly.
Most exciting of all is that it appears the wings are original, and the paint on the inner wings is too. I was quite shocked.
Looking around the car it seems to have had an easy life.

Didn't really get any excellent photos, but here are a couple from today.

Given the originality of the car I'm going to do my best to restore it as well as possible, and as close to original as I can.

The guys are very keen to preserve it and keep on reminding me how good the condition is. The pressure is on!
:lol:
Last edited by MattMe on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi matt,
It looks like you've chosen guys who are used to working on desirable classics, if the E-types are anything to go by. Now, working on the Capri will be the highlight of their careers!
I'm sure your car will be superb when it's finished.

Andrew.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi matt,
It looks like you've chosen guys who are used to working on desirable classics, if the E-types are anything to go by. Now, working on the Capri will be the highlight of their careers!
I'm sure your car will be superb when it's finished.

Andrew.
Haha, I said the same.

In honesty the fact they're working on rare cars (Jags, Astons and Alfas), a lot of which is return custom, did give me a little more confidence going with an unknown. They are very proud of their work and love showing it off, so I'm hoping my Capri will come out well.
They do a lot of lead filling rather than than using filler too.

Need to start getting bits of the engine cleaned up now...
Last edited by MattMe on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.