My 1987 Laser 2.0 Daily Driver

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
souponherhed
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 24v Cosworth

My 1987 Laser 2.0 Daily Driver

Post by souponherhed »

I've had the car over a year now, and I don't think I've shown it on here yet, at least not properly!

I bought it in July last summer with 90490 miles on the clock, and used it to drive to/from work over that summer, and then I took it to uni with me, where it went on rather a lot of lovely drives throughout the Peak District.

The previous owner said he bought the car after it had been sat in a garage/shed for 10-15 years. He then restored it as much as it needed to get through the MOT, and left the aesthetics etc. for the next owner to do if they feel like it, for someone to use as-is. I was that next owner, and in the last year, I've done nearly 9000 miles, got rid of the modern CD player and put an original radio cassette in, and I'm now pricing up a full rust removal, welding where required and respray!

I've kept every receipt since owning the car, recording everything (oil changes, tyres, MOT, etc.) and the mileage it was done at. I also have every fuel receipt and a table with calculated MPG on it. It gets an average of just over 30 MPG, which to be honest, I'm pretty happy with! The best I've ever got was 34 on a run from Sheffield to Norfolk!

It's only let me down twice, once when a brand new set of points snapped, but luckily I had the spare in the boot (that was fun fitting them on the side of the M1 at midnight in the middle of November!) and when the accelerator cable snapped on me last week!

It's not without its issues though. I have a small list of things that are wrong and need fixing: the aerial doesn't go down, the rear wiper doesn't work, the heater motor doesn't work, the side vents in the dash are stuck open (fine in the summer, freezing cold in the winter!), there are a few patches of rust that need sorting, it doesn't start without pumping the gas a few times (after which, it starts perfectly), idles a little lumpy when cold, the auto-choke will bring it up to 2000rpm slowly, the paint is faded and ideally requires a full respray.

So, I think it's about time for some pictures. I'll add a few, and then post a link to the album on imgur!

After an interior hoover and clean out, but before an exterior clean and polish!

The main areas of rust.

The rest of the images on Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/zv0vO#0 (47 image album, with descriptions below some images).

Finally, it appears someone else likes my car. I Googled "capri d407thr" out of curiosity, and this is the only result that turned up!
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/129464815@N05/19177544594/
My car in work's car park :).

So, I have a couple of questions now you've looked through everything:
From the descriptions and pictures, any idea what the car value would be now?
Any ideas on the cost to remove rust, weld and respray the car?

Thanks,
Liam
2litreScapri
Car(s): 1983 2.0S - Daily Driver

Re: My 1987 Laser 2.0 Daily Driver

Post by 2litreScapri »

Wahey another daily driver like mine. Looks tidy as well. In relation to your questions, it's hard to put a true value on what it's worth. However, the rust could indicate possible issues behind it, like mine did. If you want it back up to a great condition then put some money aside. Otherwise, just enjoy it!
souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

I just feel I'm putting far too many miles on it!

If I get it welded and fully resprayed, I'm going to get another car to use as my daily, and then keep for special days out and sunny weekends.

Either that, or sell it without respraying and then keep en eye out for a Mk2 3.0, as that's what I ideally want anyway :P

What rust did you have, and what issues did it uncover?
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

souponherhed wrote:
So, I have a couple of questions now you've looked through everything:
From the descriptions and pictures, any idea what the car value would be now?
Any ideas on the cost to remove rust, weld and respray the car?

Thanks,
Liam
Hi Liam,
That's a great car you have there. I wouldn't say you need to get it resprayed, it just needs a bit of tidying up in places.
If it was my car I would get the areas underneath sorted first then get it waxoyled to prevent any further rust occurring. Not too sure how much it would cost, it would depend how much further rust is uncovered.

All the best
Neil
souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

sheff wrote:Hi Liam,
That's a great car you have there. I wouldn't say you need to get it resprayed, it just needs a bit of tidying up in places.
If it was my car I would get the areas underneath sorted first then get it waxoyled to prevent any further rust occurring. Not too sure how much it would cost, it would depend how much further rust is uncovered.

All the best
Neil

Thanks, it does need a respray though. It doesn't look so bad in the pictures, but it needs much more than just a touch up, the only bits of paint that look "good" are above the wheel arches. The roof is really bad, there are bubbles where paint has been put over moisture, and lots of scratches and stone chips on the bonnet unfortunately.
Yeah, the foot well and boot are first on my to-do list. Gonna have to browse around for prices, and practicality, I don't have the room or the means to strip the car down myself, or to do any welding myself, although I'd like to learn.

Thanks,
Liam
2litreScapri
Car(s): 1983 2.0S - Daily Driver

Post by 2litreScapri »

souponherhed wrote:I just feel I'm putting far too many miles on it!

If I get it welded and fully resprayed, I'm going to get another car to use as my daily, and then keep for special days out and sunny weekends.

Either that, or sell it without respraying and then keep en eye out for a Mk2 3.0, as that's what I ideally want anyway :P

What rust did you have, and what issues did it uncover?
Have a look in my "2.0S Daily driver" thread, all my pics are in there. And that's just the drivers side. To be fair, i've had mine out in all weathers for 6 years nearly so it's not too surprising.
souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

2litreScapri wrote:Have a look in my "2.0S Daily driver" thread, all my pics are in there. And that's just the drivers side. To be fair, i've had mine out in all weathers for 6 years nearly so it's not too surprising.

Oh wow, I hope mine isn't as bad as that :/. How much did all the work cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
I've got a couple of days off work, so I'm gonna pull up the carpets etc. and hope I don't find anything too bad under there! :P
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
That's a beautiful colour, it really suits the shape of the Capri.
It's good to see somebody getting so much use out of their classic car. You're braver than I am with mine! :D

All the best,
Andrew.
souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
That's a beautiful colour, it really suits the shape of the Capri.
It's good to see somebody getting so much use out of their classic car. You're braver than I am with mine! :D

All the best,
Andrew.

Thanks :), I was unsure of the colour at first, but when I viewed it, I actually really liked it!
I wouldn't use mine anywhere near as much as I do if it was as immaculate as yours!

I'm looking for another car, to use as a daily, so I can make this a regular driver :P, otherwise I'm afraid I'll end up putting about 15k more on it by next summer!