Paint job?

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
lewis bosher
Car(s): my car is a 1.6 1984 ford capri laser its in good nic but a constant labour of love. (^.^)

Paint job?

Post by lewis bosher »

hi im new , my baby's a 1'6 laser and i have put a lot of love into making her shine (if i work out how i'll add a picture) , but now on to the last bits and bobs ,id like to start looking at respraying , she's originally Diamond white and id like to keep that as the base colour but add a new design on top . like stripes or a tribal design something snazzy without subtracting from the car i am interested in any ideas, designs or basic colour combos that could work ,if any ones done something like this im also great full for any (Do nots and do's) and pictures of things people mite have done or think could work.

Thanks very much (^.^)

picture below (not sure it works)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Paint job?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

That's a lovely looking Capri you have there.
Diamond white is a good base colour for your new designs, but are you painting them on? Another option is to get your artwork printed onto vinyl that can be applied to the bodywork. That way, it can easily and cheaply be reversed, should you change your mind.

All the best,
Andrew.
lewis bosher
Car(s): my car is a 1.6 1984 ford capri laser its in good nic but a constant labour of love. (^.^)

Post by lewis bosher »

i was thinking of spraying . hadn't thought of vinyl tho ,that would be a cheaper way to go about it and would make getting striate lines easy ish ,thanks very much (^.^) any idea if vinyl comes off in a car wash? not a big issue as im always happy to hand wash .

thanks again
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Nice house.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

What, that little thing?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
No, vinyl doesn't come off in the wash. These days commercial vehicles use vinyl wraps instead of painted signwriting. That process allows for eloborate designs, and the only limitation is your imagination!
I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I think the designs are printed onto the vinyl, which is then applied to the vehicle.
It is supposed to be weather and fade resistant for 5 years.

All the best,
Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I`d also agree with Andrew that you can try something out in vinyl and if it doesn`t work it will come off; not so with paint. Definite plus!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Exactly. If you fancy something different or change your mind completely, it's easily reversed.

Andrew.
lewis bosher

Post by lewis bosher »

stevemarl wrote:Nice house.

i was visiting sisinghurst gardens (sadly not my house)
lewis bosher

Post by lewis bosher »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
No, vinyl doesn't come off in the wash. These days commercial vehicles use vinyl wraps instead of painted signwriting. That process allows for eloborate designs, and the only limitation is your imagination!
I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I think the designs are printed onto the vinyl, which is then applied to the vehicle.
It is supposed to be weather and fade resistant for 5 years.

All the best,
Andrew.
well that's my mind set , once again thanks very much, vinyl sounds like the right way to move forward.