Canada MKI Capri- restotime

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
andy a
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '69 Mk1 Capri 1300 Daily (now gone to a new owner)

73 Facelift 2000 GT long term project...

Re: Canada MKI Capri- restotime

Post by andy a »

I guess they're importing themselves, then adding the original shipping, their margin, plus outward shipping, which is going to bump the price up quite a bit, they cleared me out of NOS RGA spoilers for Mk2's a few years ago at full retail, add their costs and profit on and (unless they've reproduced them from the originals) their customers would've paid quite a price once converted to US dollars for them.

Prices in the UK are through the roof, as I'm sure you're aware, with stuff getting harder to find all the time, it looks like the latest thing is to import containers of spares from Australia and South Africa into the UK, when that lot runs out I guess it'll be down to filler and chicken wire, just like most were repaired with through the late 70's and early 80's :lol:
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

yes over the last 7 or 8 years ive been into capris the price of cars and parts has sky rocketed!

and my rs3100 FG wings from S&D were 100 quid each. team blitz wanted 1000$ US for a pair of standard non rs flared.

I somehow managed to bring them back to canada after my trip home for xmas as extra baggage :whistle: :ninja:
:spam:
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

went nuts here

but got new chassis skids welded in on this side now too and new metal in the floor..

:woot:
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

more cuty cuty weldy weldy

so now at this stage the only place i can see ground from inside the car is through the gear box lever hole... this is a good thing, for now... until I need a gearbox.
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

more done
rear panels fitted and some custom made boot drop sides, no overlapping joints anywhere so no capillary action to draw water into the joints, all butt welded. rear wheel arches cut back and inner and outer panels reattached with some more welding.
These fiberglass wings are very disappointing, one side i can make work the other is way out..

Bad side wing below, its so far out i think its unusable, but i haven't much of choice so some serious butchering required.

andy a
Donator
Donator

Post by andy a »

Some good looking work there, you're definitely getting through it.

Pity about that wing, have you had a measure up to the other side to see how far out it is, looks like a major production problem if all else is well :shock:

Not really sure how you'll get around that one while maintaining the width at the top, if the wing has been made too wide it may be just as easy to source another (not as cheap once shipping is thrown into the equation I know), if you need any measurements from the same side I've got steel and fibreglass wings here I can measure up to compare.
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Hi Andy.

I've contacted s&d and they insist that if they send another it will be exactly the same and the problem is at my end... I'm getting a refund on that side.
Measurements between both are different

The one on the left is the crap one.. and you can clearly see without measuring it's smaller from top to valance edge due to it being more curved

Something not right here. One is taller and the crease is different. .

Grrrrr

You have wings in fg and steel??
andy a
Donator
Donator

Post by andy a »

That doesn't look very good, obviously a problem with their moulds, I know they lost a lot of moulds in a fire a few years ago, and were asking people with any of their kits in unused condition if they could borrow them so they could remake them.

I've got an eclectic collection of Mk1 panels, I've grabbed them whenever I've seen them as trying to hunt stuff down when you need it is painful at best, just a NOS offside wing and boot lid needed now for a repanel on mine, there was an offside on Ebay last week, and I forgot when the auction was ending, and missed it :banghead:
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

i was watching the same wing but with the canadian dollar being so shit its way out of my budget bracket

IMO the mould for this wing should be burnt, i cant believe they call this acceptable and have the audacity to imply that my car is this far out of square and there is nothing wrong with their product... i can take the old wing and set it on there perfectly, shame it s so rotten.

some other good positive stuff happened today tho

other arch cut back and welded up

cleaned up and degreased

some of this

hope it holds

Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Done some work on the rear axle. The standard atlas axle will fold up like a deck chair with what I intend on putting through it so I'm gonna run an 8.8 axle from a ranger pickup.

The ranger axle has a long side and short side axle shafts meaning the diff itself is off centred.
Kept an eye on the pick n pull website until another ranger with same axle came in as got the short side axle shaft off it.
Bit of cutting and welding and with two short sides my 8.8 is the same width as the mk1 atlas.

Disc brakes from mustang

Some heavy duty u bolts from the trailer Isle and some spring perches too

Salvaged the shock mount from the ranger and welded to the perch

Bit of paint and there's a pretty cheap indestructible LSD 3.73 ratio rear axle with discs.
Last edited by Craigorypeck on Sun May 29, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Nice work Craig, you must be pretty chuffed with that. Looks like a cracking upgrade.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Cheers Peter!

I think it should handle a lot of abuse.. An LSD for the Atlas was about 5 times the cost of this entire setup.

Thats one thing I really like about being here, the junk yards are full of decent stuff.. t5 gearboxes for instance are everywhere.
I love the place, especially being a tight hole!

And a mk2 capri came in on saturday which is super duper rare.

The terminology is quite fun at the till tho.. "1 gearstick gaitor" "a what sir" "ok, a transmission shifter boot"
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Fronts converted to adjustable coilovers

Rear axle in
ImageURL=http://s661.photobucket.com/user/craigo ... l.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Some other stuff trial fitted.Image
Last edited by Craigorypeck on Sun May 29, 2016 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmyted
Car(s): ford capri 1.6L - now 2.0L

Post by jimmyted »

Coming together brilliant, and at a rapid pace too. Shame about the front wings, they're a disgrace, they're not even remotely close.

Mechanical side off to a good start, you'll be able to throw plenty of torques at that beast of a rear end.
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Thanks, it should take a serious thrashing!
I have loads of room too for a seriously fat tyre.

Whats going on with you??
jimmyted
Car(s): ford capri 1.6L - now 2.0L

Post by jimmyted »

Ayr not bad not bad cheers dude. Car went through the MOT last week so pretty chuffed. It's driving superbly at the minute, it's great fun. Still looks like a shed though. I'm holding out for you to perfect your skills, then I'll ship it over to you for a refurb :) ha ha.
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Nice one on the MOT Ted

this is my custom made watts linkage doing watts it supposed to do. This will keep the axle mounted directly below the car and prevent any side to side movement.

http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu ... e7hbr5.mp4

Found some second hand rims too, 15x8j

Last edited by Craigorypeck on Sun May 29, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Can someone shift this from rant and rave to the members cars?

Ta
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Craigorypeck wrote:Can someone shift this from rant and rave to the members cars?

Ta
Yes :)
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Thanks Mr Admin