First Capri - Done (A Bit More)

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Re: First Capri - Done

Post by MS Injection »

Thanks Nick, very much. Having seen your immaculate looking car, it means a great deal.

I would be well up for the idea of meeting people and seeing all the cars; club space sounds good if it could be arranged.

Good luck with the alternator change. Definitely stick up a thread, I for one love scrolling through progress pics.

I squeezed as much driving into a few short days before the rains came!

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Be great if we could maybe arrange a "club space" at one of the shows next year (ie Classic Ford Santa Pod) so we can show off the fantastic capris the members have here. That would be really great, but not sure how easy this is to organise. Be good to meet members too. Just a thought.
Hi,
First of all, sorry to hijack your car thread, Mike.

Wouldn't it be great to have a Laser Page presence at some of the major shows next year (Ford Fair, Santa Pod etc.). I could be up for some of those
At some of the shows I've exhibited at, they usually ask on the application form if you're attending as a club display. It could be as easy as that. Although the 'club' will definitely have to have public liability insurance, but I believe it's not very expensive for a one-off event. I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but if it looks like something could be going ahead, we could always call Burt for a quote, as Coops can arrange P.L.I. Maybe the 'club' could also use the banner that is shown in the photo at the top of the page.

All in all, it's a good idea and I would love to see it happen, but it would need a person in charge to take care of the organising. Until that person is found, I believe the idea will remain but a dream. Any volunteers for the post of chief organiser?

Andrew.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi,
First of all, sorry to hijack your car thread, Mike.
No problem - I was starting to bore myself anyway!
peers.dupp wrote:All in all, it's a good idea and I would love to see it happen, but it would need a person in charge to take care of the organising. Until that person is found, I believe the idea will remain but a dream. Any volunteers for the post of chief organiser?

Andrew.
I would be rubbish
pauliil1948
Donator
Donator
Car(s): D reg 280 , various others

Post by pauliil1948 »

nice motor,job well done looks like a good clean car .
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

Thanks mate. Was worth the effort.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Hi Mike,
This is the first time I have took the time to read about your Resto and it looks great Well Done
It's nice when the Bodywork Guys care about the Paint Finish as much as you do :)

I remember the Ebay Ad for this, it wasn't looking too good if I recall.
You cant beat Black Cars although they are a Pain to keep looking good :lol:

ATB

Andy
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

Thanks Andy.

Yes, the e-bay advert was very sorry looking (I think one of the photos is earlier in the thread). I have been really lucky to have 2 great blokes doing the work who know their stuff and charge a fair price and then go the extra mile. The replacement tailgate is at the paint shop at the moment, ready for fitting after NEC. Then, apart from a seat repair, the car will be finished.

I know what you mean about black cars - the Capri and my daily driver are black and my last daily driver (Alfa Romeo 147) sold last January was black too. Bit of a theme really with me....

Mike
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Mike,
I agree with the other comments, your car is looking superb now. Love that last photo, looking mean and moody in black with the main beams on! 8-) Lovely shine on the paintwork as well, what product do you use?
andyd wrote:I remember the Ebay Ad for this
Nothing escapes Andy's gaze does it? :)

All the best,
Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

All the best,
Andrew.[/quote]

You Snooze you Lose :lol:
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi Mike,
I agree with the other comments, your car is looking superb now. Love that last photo, looking mean and moody in black with the main beams on! 8-) Lovely shine on the paintwork as well, what product do you use?

All the best,
Andrew.
Thanks Andrew. I'm really happy with how I've got it so far. The shine was nice and deep because when I painted the wing and door, I had the rest of the paintwork mopped (light cutting compound with a well lubricated DA). Bizarrely, I keep it shinier by halving wash and wax routine and using one of those spray on jobbies. They profess to give it the look of a wash and wax. It worked really well. When I took the car out of the garage after nearly 6 months, it still looked the same. Bought it from a show after watching a demo of it. I'll dig it out and tell you what it is if you're interested?

Mike
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MS Injection wrote:I'll dig it out and tell you what it is if you're interested?
Hi Mike,
That would be great, thanks. I'm always happy to hear recommendations of automotive cleaning products, especially if the end result is as good as in the case here.
It's interesting to hear you had the original paint mopped. Presumeably it was to lessen the visual difference between old and new paint? I've researched mopping on the internet and apparently the end results are dependant on the skill of the operator. Definitely looks like you found yourself a talented one!
All the best,
Andrew.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

Yes, Stuart is one of the best around in my opinion.

Mopping helps to visually balance the new paint with the old. But it really makes the original paint look much newer and fresher too.

Mike
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Re: First Capri - Done (A Bit More)

Post by MS Injection »

Tailgate swap today. My own had rust on the leading edge and was more expensive to repair than replace

In place minus glass and decoration

Came out in one piece much to huge relief!

And went in staying on one piece....phew

Re-painted the lock surround too as it was a bit grotty

Decal back on. Hummed and haaad about where to place it; plenty of internet searching, plus looking at photos of my mate's from 25 years ago, showed the majority with it pretty central so went for that. Mine was lower down before, but it had been re-painted at some point so not original

Capped off with NOS Ford badge

pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

That's excellent Mike. You must be really pleased (and relieved) to have that done. Good pics.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Mike,
Excellent attention to detail, as always.
I really look forward to being fortunate enough to see your car in person one day. Maybe at the CCI National next year?
I'm glad that you managed to find a company to remove and replace your rear screen. The fact that the job was successful was, no doubt, as much of a relief for the fitter as it was for you!

All the best,
Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Fri May 22, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Looks great Mike :D
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

Thanks chaps. It was heart in mouth, could only just bear to watch. Fitter had us both holding the tailgate and screen in place securely which helped it.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Glad it went well, going to have the same worries fitting my windscreen back in. Good to see you mentioning the boot decals as I measured mine before they came off but not sure it was original, I'll look at pics for reference come the time. Looking good Mike.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Over on CP they have a technical archive section, and in there it gives dimensions, positions, etc. for things such as this, for example I've seen info for the Ford badges positioning, aerial location, and so on. Would be worth a look around for the correct decal positioning also -

http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index ... rior-trim/
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

Thanks Rob! And Paul of course.

I think that there is a wide variety. Having read a load of books about Capris and Ford, and seen a bunch of cars in the flesh, it seems that things weren't always done the same. Evidence suggests that it could depend on the year and who was doing it. I've seen unrestored cars with differently positioned decal and badges. I've also seen mismatched leather etc. Like I say, photos of tailgate decals reveal all variety of placing. But Ford badge has always been level with decal. The fewest showed decal above centre so I elected to go for centre or below.

Therefore, I decided that I have carte blanche as long as badge matches decal!