First Capri - Done (A Bit More)

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: First Capri - Done (A Bit More)

Post by Caprifan Rob »

pbar wrote:Over on CP they have a technical archive section, and in there it gives dimensions, positions, etc.
Cheers Paul, I'll have a look, thanks for link.
MS Injection wrote: Therefore, I decided that I have carte blanche as long as badge matches decal!
Looks just fine to me.

Cheers,
Rob
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Mike,

As already said, your new tailgate looks absolutley superb. Nice one mate. Bet you are over the moon with the results. It really does look spot on. Decals look perfect :applaud:

Great pics too as already been said. This reminds me I must update my own thread pretty soon with the few components I changed over the course of the winter. Did not have time to sit down and post up some pics as I had wanted to...

Keep up the excellent work you doing fella. Hope to meet up with you and your great 2.8i in the flesh at some stage Mike

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

MS Injection wrote:Tailgate swap today. My own had rust on the leading edge and was more expensive to repair than replace

In place minus glass and decoration

The new tailgate looks great Mike. From this photo it looks like you had to drill the holes for the spoiler and through the nice new shiny paint. You're a brave man if you did :o I would have been worried about the drill slipping.
I look forward to seeing the car in the flesh one day as it certainly looks a very high standard.

All the best
Neil
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

Freelanderfan wrote:Looks just fine to me.
Thanks Rob!
Fordoholic Nick wrote:...your new tailgate looks absolutley superb. Nice one mate. Bet you are over the moon with the results. It really does look spot on. Decals look perfect :applaud:
Cheers Nick, thanks very much. I am stoked with it.
Fordoholic Nick wrote:Hope to meet up with you and your great 2.8i in the flesh at some stage Mike
Defo mate. One of these days....
sheff wrote:The new tailgate looks great Mike. From this photo it looks like you had to drill the holes for the spoiler and through the nice new shiny paint. You're a brave man if you did :o I would have been worried about the drill slipping.

Thanks Neil. Yes, I'm afraid many would want a firing squad for me drilling into a non-spoiler model tailgate! I bought it last June. I was put onto it by a guy from the pub. Some old boy had dismantled his 1.6GL and had sold panels and sent the rest of the parts to the scrapyard. I arrived at his house as he was about to take the tailgate to the tip. I bought it for £20 but had second thoughts because it was off a non-spoiler model. I held onto it for a year, looking for another but they were all rusty or rotten or stupid money or all of those things. Plus nobody was interested in buying the GL one because it was dented with a damaged screen, apart from one guy but he wanted to drill it anyway. So in the end, as it was rust free, I had to use it. I understand that it is not well looked upon to butcher a non-spoiler tailgate but it was going to end up junked. Better it goes on a car drilled than left lying in a council recycling facility never to be on a Capri again.

The drilling was heart in mouth! My mate did it, lots of experience restoring cars including Capris and he was steady as you like. Started with small bit and moved up.

Cheers,
Mike