My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
DCDave
Car(s): 82 Capri 2.8i 4sp
Integra type R

Re: My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Post by DCDave »

Really good progress, a lot of people would have abandoned that after finding all the corrosion, good on you for saving it. Like your new choice of colour also, a Capri looks better in a darker colour IMO.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

DCDave wrote:Really good progress, a lot of people would have abandoned that after finding all the corrosion, good on you for saving it. Like your new choice of colour also, a Capri looks better in a darker colour IMO.
Thanks!

Small update.

Got some more paint down, just the inside of the other door and bonnet done now, as well as the mud guards.

Getting there...slowly but surely.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Good progress being made on this one. Liking the cobalt blue! 8-)
All the best,
Andrew.
dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Post by dan the capri fan »

cobalt blue is a very nice colour to change to. i couldn't help but notice your photo of the cobalt blue 2.0s you've put up i suppose you know francis and claire ellingworth because thats her capri. :)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

dan the capri fan wrote:cobalt blue is a very nice colour to change to. i couldn't help but notice your photo of the cobalt blue 2.0s you've put up i suppose you know francis and claire ellingworth because thats her capri. :)
No i dont know them, i just found the pic online somewhere and decided to use it as i hope mine will look that good when its done. :P
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Small update, haven't been able to work on it for a week due to having a cold.

Anyway, got the door shuts painted and lacquered.

Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

That's looking great.

Funny you mention Game of Thrones.. I had a dream last night that I found a portal to the game of thrones universe through one of the old colleges in Cambridge. There was loads of whores and peril and for some reason I also had an Ingram MAC-11 submachine-gun, which as you can imagine was quite useful. I spent half the time being molested by women in a massive olde luxurious narrow boat and the other half setting fire to passing funeral barges. And occaisionally escaping from captors and being in women's arms afterwards. It was bloody excellent.

Welcome to the Ford scene by the way, i sincerely hope it doesn't end in fire. Did you find out waht caused your last disaster?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Major_Tom wrote:That's looking great.

Funny you mention Game of Thrones.. I had a dream last night that I found a portal to the game of thrones universe through one of the old colleges in Cambridge. There was loads of whores and peril and for some reason I also had an Ingram MAC-11 submachine-gun, which as you can imagine was quite useful. I spent half the time being molested by women in a massive olde luxurious narrow boat and the other half setting fire to passing funeral barges. And occaisionally escaping from captors and being in women's arms afterwards. It was bloody excellent.

Welcome to the Ford scene by the way, i sincerely hope it doesn't end in fire. Did you find out waht caused your last disaster?
Sounds like a pretty awesome dream to me! Nope never found out what happened, and TBH i dont care. That car can rot in hell for all i care.

Anyway, little bit of an update:

Engine out! Holy crap!

Gonna get the engine de-greased and steam cleaned then painted, same for the engine bay and get it painted the same color as the car so everything will match and look lovely.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

A mate of mine has a beach buggy with a VW engine in it.. he had a narrow escape when the fuel filter burst. That pissed petrol everywhere.. but wasn't the buggy's fault. Do be sure to carry an extinguisher.. accidents can happen regardless of the make.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Major_Tom wrote:A mate of mine has a beach buggy with a VW engine in it.. he had a narrow escape when the fuel filter burst. That pissed petrol everywhere.. but wasn't the buggy's fault. Do be sure to carry an extinguisher.. accidents can happen regardless of the make.
Yep, im going to this time. Im not even gonna have a chance of putting myself in such a helpless situation ever again.

Anyway, update time.

Got the engine bay cleaned up, de-greased and rubbed down:

And then primed, tomorrow paint!

Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Ok, got the engine bay painted. Had to rub down and re-do the base coat as moisture got into the gun and made the paint bubble but got there in the end.

After that was done to a standard i was happy with (with me everything has to hold up to close scrutiny even if most will never see it, not because im too proud of myself or anything stupid like that, im just mental/OCD lol) i put on the final color, gonna get it lacquered Wednesday.

Also got the engine steamed cleaned so i can start working on painting that too.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Engine bay lacquered and all done! Cant wait to get the engine back in.

The actual engine itself has been mostly stripped and ready for paint.

Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Small update, but a TON of progress has been made, just hav'nt taken many pics so only these to show for now.

To start, i refurbished the bumper ends from this:

A little bit of a rub down and some textured black paint later and we have this:

If budget wasn't an issue id have just got new ones but this is a worthy compromise.

Refurbed the headlight frames too, they were rusty and dirty and all kinds of nasty...not anymore:

In other news the engine is back in, everything hooked back up and it all went together nicely. Now that's done its time to start fitting the wings on then its time for paint! Looking at an end of May, early June completion date.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Wings are welded on. Still a bit of work left to get things lined up properly but overall very happy with how its looking. Gonna get everything painted next week so not long left now!

Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Just when i thought everything was going well, getting ready to paint and end up on the home stretch we find this...rear valance which was a little bit wonky which we were gonna fix with a bit of panel beating turns out to be a complete basket case of a job. Great job whoever did this, you should never be allowed near a car ever again! What a bodge!

The valance is not only wonky, but what some "genius" metal worker has done is weld a new valance over the old rusty one, which in turn has now gone rusty too:

Not only that, but there was an inch or so of filler in there too!

Time to contact Nial to get a cheap new one....ffs.

The plan was to get this painted this week, that's not happening now. Bloody bodgers....im well pissed off. There's absolutely no excuse for this level of incompetency, if you don't know how to do something right then don't bloody do it yourself!
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Look guys! We finished it, the paint is all done now, doesn't it look great?!

I'll get this lacquered and it'll all be done! :D

Did i get ya? lol, just kidding of course, this is in fact just primer with a guide coat over it. Next week while i'm waiting for the new rear valence to arrive i'll spend some extra time getting this all wet-sanded down and ensure the surface is flawless ready for paint. :)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Got the new valance, a great patterned part from Nial Diamond. A perfect fit and great quality, much better than that Chinese crap in the black primer.

Welded up the silly tow hitch and the holes for a tow bar, i never plan on towing anything in this so decided to make it look smooth and flush.

First layer of paint is on! This isn't representative of the final shade nor quality, this is just the undercoat, it will be wet sanded down and the top coat will be applied over it.

And a shot of the rear valance all fitted and looking lovely, a great part from Nial Diamond, not the typical Chinese patterned s*** you can get.

Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Sorry for the lack of updates, i honestly forgot i posted this here.

Anyway, she is all done now so here's the finished product!

I fooking LOVE this car!!

The above photos are of how she looked when i first got her home after the resto, she wasn't 100% finished at the time hence why the bonnet trim was missing, and the painted needed more buffing too hence why i took photos of her in the rain.

Since then everything has been finished and the paint is now perfect, here's a couple of pictures of her more recently:

Future plans are to get a full Sportex exhaust system sometime early next year, add the "S" decals, get a nice subwoofer and amp installed as the speakers i bought to replace the original Ford ones dont sound too great since they had to be small to fit in the old holes and maybe buy a set of nice pepper pot alloys at some point.

Major props to my old man for doing all the welding and super-difficult stuff.

We're not pros we just do this for fun in an old yard with a DIY spray booth and very basic tools so not bad for a couple of pillocks like us i think lol.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,

The car sounds fantastic, well worth all the hard work that it has taken to get it to the standard shown in the photos.
Unfortunately, the latest photo you have posted doesn't appear to be displaying properly.

All the best,
Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi,

The car sounds fantastic, well worth all the hard work that it has taken to get it to the standard shown in the photos.
Unfortunately, the latest photo you have posted doesn't appear to be displaying properly.

All the best,
Andrew.
Hmm..strange it is showing on my screen, if anyone else is having problems seeing the pics let me know.

Also thanks for the comment Peers.dupp