My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,

They are showing on my screen as well now, how strange. I'm glad I can see the photos as the car does look fantastic, a real credit to you.

Is that your Fiesta Ghia parked next to the Capri in some of the shots? I can't help but admire it as it's the rare 1.4, which I would have killed for when I had my 1.1 Ghia many moons ago!
Now only 32 left, apparently. :sleepy: :sleepy:

All the best,
Andrew.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi,

They are showing on my screen as well now, how strange. I'm glad I can see the photos as the car does look fantastic, a real credit to you.

Is that your Fiesta Ghia parked next to the Capri in some of the shots? I can't help but admire it as it's the rare 1.4, which I would have killed for when I had my 1.1 Ghia many moons ago!
Now only 32 left, apparently. :sleepy: :sleepy:

All the best,
Andrew.
Thanks im glad you like it.

No that fiesta was one my dad had for sale, it only had 38 k on the clock and was like new underneath.

He sold it for £950 i think, after i convinced him to buy it for £250.

Didnt know it was rare or anything like that though, just knew it was in great condition. I used it for a few days while i was getting the capri ready for the road, drove lovely,like a little go kart.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Time for a bit of a spruce up, when the car was first finished last year i kinda ran out of time and money so a few things weren't done to the best standard or at least to the high standard id prefer so over the winter things didn't endure that well, case in point the sill/lip around the whole bottom edge of the car, especially the bodged up valance we had to cut into to make room for the old, long gone exhaust which didn't fit for some reason.

So i cut out the bodged up area and added in fresh new metal and paint and went from this:

To this (the lip now looks this good fore to aft and on the sides)

And just for giggles heres how she looks right now, decided to color code the mirrors and i have some pepperpots and an S stripe waiting to be put on.

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Your car looks stunning, it's a credit to you. Personally, I like pepperpots, but you'll probably upset the purists by putting a set on an S! But who cares what the purists say?

Keep up the good work,
Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Your car looks stunning, it's a credit to you. Personally, I like pepperpots, but you'll probably upset the purists by putting a set on an S! But who cares what the purists say?

Keep up the good work,
Andrew.
Thanks man! Yeah im not that bothered by purists, ive already changed the color of the car from glacier blue to cobalt blue and i think pepperpots look great on any model.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: i think pepperpots look great
Can't argue with that! :D
01mpope
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0 laser 1985
Ford capri mk1 1600gt 1969

Post by 01mpope »

This resto is awesome!
You have put so much time and effort into this, and it shows because it is beautiful throughout, you should be proud!
:ford: :burnout: :ford:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

01mpope wrote:This resto is awesome!
You have put so much time and effort into this, and it shows because it is beautiful throughout, you should be proud!
Thanks, did you see she was in an accident? Just recently did a mini re-resto because of that since she needed repairs.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

For prosperity's sake, and to keep this thread up to date, heres how she looks now in 2017:

For those who are not in the know, 2016 wasnt a good year for the car. She was in an accident which has already been discussed in great detail else-ware on the forum, but she's all better now so me and her can move on with our lives, and I can get started with her much needed engine overhaul!

This was something that i was planning on doing in mid October last year, but then the accident happened so repairs took priority. Originally i was just going to rebuild her original 200 block 2.0 pinto engine, but plans changed when i stumbled across an already recently reconditioned 205 block pinto.

It was an absolute steal as well, considering how valuable these engines are these days because of their ability to be made into 2.1's i couldn't pass it up!
I'm all for keeping things original (not that i think the engine currently in her is her original factory installed lump, i cant tell) and what not, but its a flipping 205 block!
Who wouldnt want to swap it?!
Plus, with it already having been recently reconditioned it saves me all the hassle and expense of doing it myself! Sure it looks a bit tatty, but thats because the old boy who owned it (used to be in a Transit ice cream truck which barely did any work, as the ice cream machines ran off a separate engine) didnt look after it and let oil leak out of the rocker cover that hadn't been secured to the head properly.

Anyway, plans are to literally just clean it up, respray it and drop it into my Capri. Wont be doing the 2.1 conversion as much as i'd love to, just cant afford it, but its there if i want to one day at least.

Dirty:

Some thinners and a pressure wash later:

Primed and painted in 2k (forgot to take a pic of it primed d'oh):

Dont worry about the over-spray on the spark plugs and dizzy, those are being thrown away i just left them there to keep the insides dry and paint free while i worked on it.

Will be painting the rocker cover silver, and the pulley wheels to match. Hopefully fitting it next week if my mechanic friend can find the time so i have plenty of shakedown time before i go away to Southampton in March which is a bit of a trot from where i live.

Anyway, thats all for now.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Great work there, capri looks great 8-)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

fordperv wrote:Great work there, capri looks great 8-)
Thank you! I just realised i never updated this thread with pictures of the completed engine in the car and everything, will have to get on that. (engine bay needs a good clean first though)
01mpope
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0 laser 1985
Ford capri mk1 1600gt 1969

Post by 01mpope »

Looking good!
I like the painted engine, and I look forward to seeing it in the car!
:ford: :burnout: :ford:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Hmmmm, tasty!

Cant wait to get these bad boys on the car, i just hope theres no fitment issues.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:Image
Hi,
Very nice. You can't go wrong with minilite type wheels.
I take it they are 13" and you are planning to fit 205 section tyres?

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Image
Hi,
Very nice. You can't go wrong with minilite type wheels.
I take it they are 13" and you are planning to fit 205 section tyres?

Andrew.
Yessir! Ive always wanted 205's on my Capri, they just make the car look wider and more aggressive, plus the 1" they'll lower the car is a welcome bonus too, as im used to having 70 profile tyres, that should help acceleration a tiny bit as well IIRC...not that it needs the help that is. :burnout:
The speedo reading faster than im actually going will take some getting used to, but it'll help prevent me from getting any speeding tickets lol.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Yes, the new tyres will certainly look wider and more aggressive!
However, there's only 13mm difference in diameter between 205/60 13 and 185/70 13 tyres, so the car won't sit an inch lower than it currently does.
Sadly, one other thing you will notice is that the available selection of tyres in the new size is drastically reduced, compared to what you are currently used to.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sadly, one other thing you will notice is that the available selection of tyres in the new size is drastically reduced, compared to what you are currently used to.

Andrew.
Ever the optimist Andrew........True though :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Ever the optimist Andrew........True though :lol:
Tell it like it is! :D
To be honest, I can't see the tyre situation for 205/60 13s ever improving. When mine need changing I might be forced to change to 15" wheels.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Ever the optimist Andrew........True though :lol:
Tell it like it is! :D
To be honest, I can't see the tyre situation for 205/60 13s ever improving. When mine need changing I might be forced to change to 15" wheels.

Andrew.
13" and 14" alike I reckon.......Imagine 15" Pepperpots :D :D
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Thought somebody said it would sit an inch or so lower with 60 profile tyres in my thread where i talked about how i screwed up and ordered 185/60's instead of the 185/70's back when i was keeping the 4-spoke wheels?

Oh well, no big deal if thats the case.

Ive seen that these are harder to get hold of, but theres still people on eBay selling them at reasonable prices, even the utter incompetence known as Oponeo have plenty of 205's in stock (though i wouldn't shop with them if they were the last tyre company on earth!).

Pretty much anything under 15' rims is gonna be hard to get these days unfortunately, and short of changing the rims again and making body mods to fit bigger wheels theres not a lot one can do.

Im keeping my old 4-spokes with their old tyres on just in case i need to replace the 205's at some point in the future and cant get hold of them, but im hoping to not have to even think about that for at least another 6 or 7 years or so :lol: .