My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote: The days when you had to send the film off to Supasnaps seems a long time ago now!
It was usually Truprint for me :)

This was what you needed :D http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3Xm3OnBs0gA/V ... or-600.jpg
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I still have one of those Andy! :) Never used it much back in the day, the films were too expensive I always thought.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

So, this is a thing...

Genuine Ford Turbo Tail. Obviously in rough shape, but all mounting lugs are present, no splits from what i can tell and both canards (i think thats what you call the bits on the end?) are in fine condition, as is the top that gives you the extra "aero".

Unfortunately, some twat in the past thought it was a good idea to paint this all-rubber, soft, squishy spoiler - in purple no less!

So im going to have to try and figure out a way to strip all this nastyness off and attempt to get it back to its original condition where i can then treat the rubber and re-dye it.

Thankfully some is just flaking off if you pick at it with your fingers but i doubt the rest will be that easy.

I attempted a trial fit but the mounting lugs dont line up with the ones for the normal spoiler so will have to drill out new ones. So for anyone thinking of getting a Turbo Tail for your MK3 Capri: IT WONT FIT WITHOUT MODDING! lol.

Im really hope i can make a fibreglass mould out of this and produce a few, i know theres a small niche market for these and if i can make them at a competitive price then why not? No one else is doing them, not in this country anyway.

Still, thats a long way off yet. I might make a separate thread detailing the process of restoring this beast onc ei have more to show.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

There is one on eBay for 399 with damage I do like the look but I also thought the original ford ones fitted straight in to the old holes .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:There is one on eBay for 399 with damage I do like the look but I also thought the original ford ones fitted straight in to the old holes .
Yeah i just looked that one up to see what it looked like, honestly i think mine is in better shape despite being covered in awful paint (and cost way less).
Its a shame mine doesnt have the rubber bungs to hide the bolts but im sure i can fabricate something (or just paint the bolts black lol).

Have you seen this one? :shock: :o :shock: :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-capri-ne ... SwBt5ZFY9T

Thats INSANE money! But great for me for reference purposes to know what mine needs to look like when im done. :lol:
I just downloaded and saved all those photos so i can use them as reference for mine as that is mint like it came from the factory and shows i can infact disassemble the top section from those side bits.

Yeah i figured it would bolt on too but nope, two of the 4 fittings are in a completely different spot and dont line up with the holes already in my tailgate, same as the mint on on ebay i linked to above.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

O M G the price so if you fit that to your car does it make the car £1500 more ? Also would the insurance cover the cost ?

There's a question as the parts of the Capri could be worth more then the Capri soon

I wonder what everybody thinks ?

I do remember once asking if you bought the parts to a car would it work out cheaper to build yourself and the parts manager said it would cost 4 times more just buying the parts then the car .

With the Capri and one drivers seat for a brooklands going for £2000 it will be better to take the car part and sell the bits ...

What is madness .
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:O M G the price so if you fit that to your car does it make the car £1500 more ? Also would the insurance cover the cost ?

There's a question as the parts of the Capri could be worth more then the Capri soon

I wonder what everybody thinks ?

I do remember once asking if you bought the parts to a car would it work out cheaper to build yourself and the parts manager said it would cost 4 times more just buying the parts then the car .

With the Capri and one drivers seat for a brooklands going for £2000 it will be better to take the car part and sell the bits ...

What is madness .
Yeah it's utter madness. I can't see it lasting long, it's just not sustainable.

If I bought that £1500 spoiler I'd definitely have to consider getting my car re-evaluated. I might have to do that anyway if I get this one I have restored because in good condition it's worth £600+, I wouldn't be able to get another one for that.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Nice turbo tail, that will look great on your car.

On the face of it, the Ebay item looks expensive but where else can anyone buy one?
I expect somebody will snap it up for their restoration.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Nice turbo tail, that will look great on your car.

On the face of it, the Ebay item looks expensive but where else can anyone buy one?
I expect somebody will snap it up for their restoration.

Andrew.
Thanks. It will be nice if I can ever figure out a way to strip the paint without damaging the rubber. So far all my research has proved to be fruitless.
Gonna try some brake fluid on a very small patch and see what happens.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:Gonna try some brake fluid on a very small patch and see what happens.
I wouldn't use brake fluid if you're ever planning on repainting the spoiler as the fluid will be absorbed into the rubber and may resurface later.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Gonna try some brake fluid on a very small patch and see what happens.
I wouldn't use brake fluid if you're ever planning on repainting the spoiler as the fluid will be absorbed into the rubber and may resurface later.

Andrew.
Good point. I wasn't planning on repainting it unless I can't get the current paint off. Ideally I'll strip all this nasty shit off and instead of painting I was hoping to fill in any imperfections and then dye it.
It's all a bit of an experiment at this stage lol.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Like I said in the other thread, would soda blasting do the trick. I thought it removed paint without damaging what's underneath. I know on bodyshells it takes paint off but any filler left underneath is usually undamaged. Might be worth asking a soda blasting company.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Paul G wrote:Like I said in the other thread, would soda blasting do the trick. I thought it removed paint without damaging what's underneath. I know on bodyshells it takes paint off but any filler left underneath is usually undamaged. Might be worth asking a soda blasting company.
It could be but i have no money to work with at the moment so just looking for the cheapest alternative for now. I'd imagine soda blasting would be expensive and what with the cost of the spoiler to start with, and buying the other one off of you i have nothing left lol.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Hmm...heat seems to be the key in regards to stripping the turbo tail from hell.
Tried a small patch with a hot air gun on the low setting and the paint softened so much i could peel large chunks off, trouble is i dont have good nails and it hurts my fingers due to the heat. Im thinking of soaking it in a hot bath and seeing what happens, or taking it to a steam cleaner and let the heat and pressure do the hard work for me.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Get an old wallpaper scraper and blunt it on a grinder for a second to take the edge off it. Alternatively I've seen plastic scrapers around, again good for things where you don't want a sharp edge.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I was just wondering how your getting on with the turbo tail as it's something on my " I wonder if that would look nice on my Capri thoughts "
Have been looking if there are any on eBay but not seen any as they were made out the same stuff as I normal spoilers.
Also I think they bolt up the same place .

Any one got one ?

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:it's something on my " I wonder if that would look nice on my Capri thoughts "
I like them, however, I think they look better on cars that have some other form of modification, for example, a front spoiler. The car in your photo carries it well.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

I've been making very slow progress. I have both of the tail fins fully stripped of all that nasty old paint. The rubber surface underneath is in perfect condition, though because I've used a DA sander to get all the paint off I'm afraid I've maybe stripped off a layer of protection so once I'm done with the two large center sections I'm going to paint the spoiler with a layer of black rubberised paint which will give a similar finish to how it looked from the factory.
I'm hoping to make a mould and make fibreglass reproductions afterwards so hopefully they'll be some interest. I'm also adding an RGA front spoiler which I'm also hoping to make replicas from since there's not many people offering quality, well priced fibreglass versions of these things anymore, especially not the turbo tail.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Here's what I'm planning and hoping to achieve by painting the spoiler with some plastidip. It's a similar material as the turbo tail.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=109898
I'm not using the leatherique stuff like this guy did as the surface is already perfectly smooth, but I'm hoping to achieve the same finish once I paint it with plastidip.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Back in October (2017) some idiot parked next to me and slammed her door into my front wing, denting it and chipping the paint down to metal.
She wanted to give me £50 there and then to pay for it, i laughed and told her thats gonna cost A LOT more than that, around £250 or so.
So scoffed in my face and insisted on me supplying her with quotes from reputable companies, so i did that and low and behold they quoted £250 onwards, one even going so far as to ask for nearly £500!
When i told her she accused me of being a con artist and refused to take responsibility, saying that the paint must have been soft, and that it doesnt cost that much to repair a stone chip.
I told her I wasnt going to put up with her BS any longer, and that I was going to do exactly what she didnt want me to: get insurance involved.
Anyway several months later i finally got the cheque come through (hopefully her premium went up), but of course the quote i was given by the people i was planning to do the work for me was no longer valid, and had increased by nearly £100!
I couldnt afford this as i only had so much from the insurance claim, so once again it falls on me to fix damage on my car that some other moron caused.

Heres the damage:
(i forgot to take pictures before i started working on it hence why it looks a mess already)

The worst of it, one very large gash right on the swage line on the front passenger wing:

While i was at it, and to aid the paint blending i decided to take care of some small paint chips on the same area on the passenger door. I had touched these in but i was never happy with the result so figured i might as well do it properly while im doing the rest:

Filled and currently in the process of rubbing down the filler and getting the line perfect:

Also decided to finally get one of these fitted while im at it:

So yeah, thats what im busy doing at the moment. Is it too much to ask for people to stop ruining my car?