Introducing CoD - Capri of Dreams

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
david656
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (F.O.R.D - Found on Roadside Dead)
BMW 323i (Daily)
Audi Quattro (soon to be sold)

Introducing CoD - Capri of Dreams

Post by david656 »

Hi Guys,

I'd just like to say a massive thanks for the general help and tips and also the forum being here as a good reference for all things Capri. I've learned a lot since buying my car in 2011 (on that fateful day - when it broke down driving it home!).

I've been through 3 engines in the car and had bought a fourth that never made it in. It was converted to an injection pinto Capri and then back again!

Finally today after a whole 9 day push I'm happy to say - I think it's working!

Hopefully I can make it to some meets this year :shock:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Introducing CoD - Capri of Dreams

Post by Peter-S »

Looking very good.
Maybe bring it up to CRaP then ;)
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
david656
BMW 323i (Daily)

Post by david656 »

Seeing as i have a bit more time now... more info!

CoD was name this after the fact that ONLY in 'Dreams' has it ever actually worked for more than a day :banghead: purchased in Apri of 2011 as a 1 year anniversary present of my ex-misses dumping me it was meant to be something to enjoy! Instead it appears it was more of a headache than she was - maybe I should have nothing more to do with Essex girls ha :xd:

Today i've been told it is again - knackered - carb needs a strip and rebuild! it keeps stalling now.

To date the bill rides into the cost of a immaculate brooklands 280 so i'm not too impressed but i've started so i'll finish i guess.

Parts to date:

New engine - 2 litre pinto rebuilt from ground up, pistons, rings, gaskets, unleaded valve seats kent fr22 cam.
New respray accompanied by 2 new wings and a ridiculous amount of welding.
New/secondhand 'S' interior (Grey with white strip) in pretty good condition all original looking.
New tyres for a past time (kept getting punctures for about 3 months with out it really moving - someone had it out for me i'm sure.
new/secondhand leaf springs - multi leafs to singles for a better ride i'm told?
Spax ajustable suspension at the back - fronts waiting to go on.
poly bushed all of the back, leafs, shackles, arb etc.
re-gasketed the diff and new oil
new diff cover
new sportex exhaust - soon to be replaced with a stainless longlife that will be much quieter as it's doing my head in.
re-oiled gearbox
all new bolts in the engine, inlet, exhaust, pumps, bell housing - stainless
new fuel pump
new fuel filter
new water pump
new thermostat 87c
new radiator
new sparks
new leads
new coil
new cap
new rotary arm
new acuaspark distributor - the complete thing for reliability not just upgrade kit
new cam belt with engine rebuild
new alternator and belt
new rubber fuel line to replace plastic
waxoiled underneith
dynomat sound deadening from firewall back to underneith rear seats and around wheel arches
brand new headlights
brand new stainless steel bolts for all light fixings
brand new front and back bumper
brand new front indicators
secondhand less cracked dashboard
new wiper blades
alloys refurbished
new locking wheel nuts as someone nicked my old wheel lock tool - had to rip the last nuts out!
new handbrake cable
new accelerator cable
new washer hose
new horn
new brake pads and shoes
changed brake fluid to DOT5 (will go back to 4 but racing blue next month i think as this was a bad idea)
black grills rather than red ones
in wing mud guard metal things
re-wired speakers with new cable and 4 new speakers (hidden amp for them) (not boy racer - it's i enjoy to list to abba with clarity! :lol: )
new CCI parcel shelf
new driver and passenger window rubber seal
second hand steering wheel - leather

thats about all i can remember for now... and i must stress thats what is in the car at the moment - there was an EFI pinto that i spent a LOT of money trying to make work and then just gave up in the end due to no luck or success. That had a NOS MAF, headgasket, Ignition module etc.

and STILL it doesn't work ha i think i was flogged a :deadhorse: with this one!

Still to do and about all that is left to be done! re-build the carb - i'm told that is why it isn't working, and get a better back axle - this one howls.

either i'm just unlucky or stupid, or maybe someone 'up there' doesn't like me! because i'm not getting anywhere with this car!

Thanks for reading.
ANDY2968
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (full nut and bolt restoration with self customised full leather interior including dash).

Post by ANDY2968 »

Your capri looks stunning in red.
There is one thing with all the work you have done there will be not a lot left to go wrong.
I have replaced all bushes suspension bolts underneath and some in the engine bay. Very similar story to yourself but mine is in need of a full respray when the last few little rust issues are dealt with.
Thought it was fine to use :drive: carb issue :banghead: fitted a replacement 32/36 carb after completely rejetting it and fitting overhaul kit the car runs fine now.

I am now using mine daily my advice is persevere it will definately be worth all the effort in the end.
It is frustrating when things go wrong but look at it this way you are gaining more knowledge! Unfortunately sometimes due to unscrupulous/lack of good advice from people :bullshit: it costs you money :swear: .

But Keep Youre Dream Alive!
I added mine to the members page today it is diamond white dated 2/3/2013 and it is not as stunning as yours!
ANDY2968
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (full nut and bolt restoration with self customised full leather interior including dash).

Post by ANDY2968 »

If its the VV carb that was my issue so I fitted 32/36carb with manifold runs perfect better than VV in my opinion.
Twin choke32/36 fitted in my car if it helps!

david656
BMW 323i (Daily)

Post by david656 »

It's a standard 32/36 on mine... but the fuel lines connect a bit different to yours

Everyone has a little laugh at my car saying 'the pinto was the best engine ever built - bomb proof!' ... i seem to be proving otherwise quite fantastically.
ANDY2968

Post by ANDY2968 »

It seems you have either just had bad luck or else bought engines from unscrupulous :swear: (people)! The engine is very straight forward to repair in my DIY mechanical experience (heads off/strip/refit etc) unless it needs a rebore/skimming or has race parts etc that are not fit for the engine due to DIY mechanics not spending time confirming there use and the appropriate parts.

I agree with the Pinto been bomb proof from personally experience! I once dropped my 1.6ls (1st car) from 55mph in 2nd approx in to 1st instead of 3rd as I was overtaking a mini. the revs went through the roof and all of a sudden lost power. Long story short the car would not go over 40 mph garage said wait and see what goes wrong! After 6 weeks the car was fine and driving as it was before with no apparant damage? I knew a ford mechanic in the 80's and he said the engines will rev to around 8,000rpm which is why there was no red line on the rev counter as per other fords at the time!

Anyway I digress! When I refurbed my carb a couple of months ago I fitted all new injectors, emulsion tubes etc which cost me around £80 with the refurb kit. If you want any information regarding these parts just message me and I will find my reciepts and give you the info. I also discovered that the tops on 32/36 have a few different fuel inlet/outlet setups but function the same. I also have Weber manual for the carb if you plan on doing it yourself I can send you a copy. Check if your floats are brass or plastic it is common for brass floats to go porous this could be your issue but I am not sure how this will affect the carb but could potentially be due to not cutting fuel supply off(overfuelling)? Perhaps someone else on here can give you better advice before spending money on parts it does not need!
To strip and refit my carb only took a few hours once I had all the parts and once the petrol filled the float chamber it started and has not stalled since! Once you have the parts you need to refurb you can definately get it up and running the same day. If you have or can borrow a strobe light/gunson carb tune setting the carb is a doddle. :goodluck:
Sorry for the long winded reply!!
david656
BMW 323i (Daily)

Post by david656 »

:shock: Well another £500 odd pounds later... and I have a brand new stainless steel exhaust (longlife) and had the Capri on a rolling road at Circuit Motors. I would like to point out I read good and bad things about them but I will say the comments about Paul are true, he's a very honest and genuine guy and did what he could in the time!

He's had to adjust some jets, re-gap one of the plugs, alter the ignition timing just a little, and tweak the mixture screw a bit.

It certainly feels a heck of a lot better so all round very pleased

Of course the fun part - (i've got the paper work in the car so idk about the torque, but ... how many pony's is she pushing?!? :mrgreen:

I believe stock they're 98BHP and it's currently at 113BHP which well..is better than the 1.6 in it when I bought it! :applaud:

edit: 113 - unluck for some? :doh: :banghead:
david656
BMW 323i (Daily)

Post by david656 »

Rolling Road print out

BMWcapri
Car(s): BMW V8 powered '81 Calypso

Post by BMWcapri »

really smart car, and nice to see genuine rolling road figures, bhp never appear out of thin air as many fast car magazines would have believe. 113bhp is very healthy for a fairly standard pinto I believe.
If your car hasn't caught fire or been stolen then you have a right to be proud :D
dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Post by dan the capri fan »

thats gorgeous i would love a red capri like that :D
atomic4
Car(s): Ford Capri V8 Twin turbo.
W reg black 3ltr S

Post by atomic4 »

david656 wrote:Hi Guys,

I'd just like to say a massive thanks for the general help and tips and also the forum being here as a good reference for all things Capri. I've learned a lot since buying my car in 2011 (on that fateful day - when it broke down driving it home!).

I've been through 3 engines in the car and had bought a fourth that never made it in. It was converted to an injection pinto Capri and then back again!

Finally today after a whole 9 day push I'm happy to say - I think it's working!

Hopefully I can make it to some meets this year :shock:

Nice wheels. :cool:
david656
BMW 323i (Daily)

Post by david656 »

Hi all, thanks for the kind comments, i'm trying to keep it looking as original as possible, just fitted new discs, pads and callipers... and brake lines..and master cylinder to it as nothing on my car ever seems straight forward and the brake lines and cylinder failed when adding new callipers :shock:

I've drove it to Liverpool and back from Bristol last week and it didn't miss a beat despite my dad saying 'is this heap of sh*t going to get us there! (he's not a car guy)

Also i've told my manager to stick his job up his arse and am now on gardening leave so have to watch the penny's sadly, i'll make CRAP next year!
david656
BMW 323i (Daily)

Post by david656 »

Well it's been a few years now, a few more engines, starter motors, batteries, alternators, lots of swearing. :swear:

HOWEVER... finally after taking my car to http://www.jprtuning.co.uk/ I've managed to get the Capri working :D :applaud:

In this instance it was the carb was setup so wrong you wouldn't believe, but with the knowledge there I'm now back in the Capri and have been driving it 2 weeks straight with 0 issues!!! :lmao:

My friend did a nice write up on the car with some stunning pictures of it now - you might like to see!

https://revmatch.me/2016/05/31/ford-capri-2-0s-replica/

Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Great write up & a very good looking Capri. Fair play, reading that story you've been through it a bit with this car, many would have given up long ago, four engine swaps ! The end results looks well worth it, glad you're enjoying it now, great looking car.