2.0S Daily Driver

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
2litreScapri
Car(s): 1983 2.0S - Daily Driver

Re: 2.0S Daily Driver

Post by 2litreScapri »

Yes Tom, a project thread is always a good idea!

That was the idea I was going for, a subtle change to make it a bit better.
2litreScapri

Post by 2litreScapri »

So after last year I knew there would be more work to be done on the Capri, so saved the pennies to at least get the outside of the car sorted. So the basic stripdown started with the highlighted bits needing to get done:

These look like towbar holes in the rear valance, and are being filled in

Underneath the carpet as can be seen is pretty dry, although I noticed a few holes just by the lower door hinge when I took the interior panel off. Glad to know this side hasn't suffered as badly at least in the floorpan.

Austin Sheward Coachworks are carrying out the work again, and I received these pictures:

And I went in today & saw the work in progress.

So far so good. My bonnet has also gone too far, it has at least 5 rust holes in it and although it could be repaired the long term plan is to source something better, which is a tall order! That said, i picked up a solid bonnet today & it's going to be worked on to make it good. Hopefully it won't be too far out of alignment or needing much work required. The risk I'm taking at the moment. The roof will also get painted, which means I need a replacement sunroof seal. The tailgate is staying put, as the inside is needing work like the engine bay & that is for another time. The paint shines well once a bit of detailing & elbow grease is put into it.

Further plans include replacing the current front seats with a pair that isn't frayed. Having sourced them after seeing them in a Mk1 Capri at a show, the only issue is the drivers seat does not push forward for rear access, the clip on the inside doesn't seem to be connected. They will be going off to a trimmer to have that sorted & to be refoamed. Dashboard should also be coming out for restoration, and whilst that's out time to replace the heater motor. Not that I've ever had to worry as it blows hot air but worth changing.

Will come back fighting fit again!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Kris,

Nice one fella.Thanks for posting up these update pictures. That's some great work in progress Kris. Cant wait to see your 2.0S out and about again real soon mate. Are you popping down to Beaulieu again this year ?

Good Luck with the ongoing work Kris and keep us posted how it goes. I do love the " S " look. There is just something about it that is so dam right and proper :D

All the best mate and look forward to seeing you over the summer

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
2litreScapri

Post by 2litreScapri »

So my Capris progress is steady going, we're finding various issues but it's almost ready to be painted. Here are some update pictures up to now:

I've also had my dashboard repaired. it was sunfaded and had a crack in it. I found a company that can do smart repaire & they'cve done a brilliant job.. Before:

After:

With all this in place I should be getting the car back mid June. Fingers crossed!

Kris
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Kris,

Wow fella ! Its really coming along great mate. Thanks for the update pics. Really looking forward to seeing your 2.0S again mate. Bet you counting down the days for the paint job. Kris are you keeping the same colour ? Whatever you decide its gonna look stunning fella. Keep up the excellent work...and keep the pictures coming too please :)

By the way that dash restoration is amazing Kris. It looks as new ! Nice one :applaud: I wish I knew of this company before I put my black dash in that I repaired myself, but not to this standard I have to say. Maybe next time I take it out..... :shock: .... :lol:

All the best Kris,

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
2litreScapri

Post by 2litreScapri »

Thanks Nick. Yes Graphite Grey still, I love the colour too much to change it.

The company that did the dash are in Essex (actually it wasn't too far from Battlesbridge) & it wasn't cheap, but the work done was great.

Just need it back now!
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hey Kris,

It's certainly coming along now. Will it be on the Road for June??? Be great to see all the hard work which has gone into it. Cheers fella,

John...
2litreScapri

Post by 2litreScapri »

Time to update!

So the challenge is on to have the Capri ready for the Hanworth classic car show this weekend (so June hopefully!). The car has been undergoing the final stages of paint, and a chat with one of our SCC members during a meet made me think about getting the tailgate done as well simply for paint matching purposes. An unexpected but worthwhile delay. Plus tidying of the rear valance especially with the smoothing in of the holes where a towbar was likely fitted. So far so good:

Rust on my tailgate. This had to be sorted as the screen came out in order to get the paint done right (no cutting corners with this guy)

Bonnet being sprayed

The final hurdle is upon us.

Also went in for MOT & failed on fairly minor things so this is being sorted. So by Sunday 26th, fresh MOT, decals have got to go on, summer wheels, NOS front end & rear bumper. Fingers crossed!!!!
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Looks good Kris :D Look forward to seeing it finished at one of the meets through the Summer!

All the best
Neil
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Looking good. Seems a good finish on the paint too.

When are you expecting to be on the road in it?
CapriLee
Car(s): Currently S1 RS turbo. Looking to buy a 2.8i capri.

Post by CapriLee »

Looks fantastic! Made a grand job of that dash!
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

Excellent job Kris, cant wait to see the car again at Ace.

Glad you kept the same colour as really looks well.

Mark
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi Kris,

How did you get on, was it ready for the Week End??? Looking very good, hope to see it again in the flesh very soon!!! All the best of luck and Keep up the Great Work!!! Cheers,

John...
2litreScapri

Post by 2litreScapri »

John,

Well yes I did! I was able to get the car sorted ready for the show, although I was up at 2am putting the replacement drivers seat in! I picked the car up last Friday & the way back was quite lumpy as it had no fuel over the last few months & plenty of dust. So I had the rear bumper to put on, clean the interior up, add the Ford badges & change the wheels.

So I had the mad rush to get the car ready & did the mad rush, the response was excellent at the show, and the car now runs great. You'll have to wait & see the car in better detail (which the detail is important -satin black door frames, handles, etc etc) but here are the pics I was able to take when the car came back & then parked up at the convoy point:

Of course I am very happy to have it back & get driving it again!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

It's a lovely car Kris, looking forward to seeing it.

Paul.
2litreScapri

Post by 2litreScapri »

So since I've had the car back I've enjoyed about 400 miles of show & daily driving but first chink in the armour for some time. Came off the dual carriageway off to club meet & dreaded white smoke puffing out the exhaust and was firing on 3. Head gasket! So have had to spend this weekend replacing that, first time I've done it, Calvin assisted. Head's back on & retorqued, but proper engine flush to do. Typical, in the middle of show season. Hopefully be rip roaring back on the road this week!
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator

Post by Taff50ish »

Hey Kris,

A small issue in light of the Work you've accomplished there fella. Basically, what you're saying is, that you'll have all the Gremlins lined up and shot, in time for the Ace!!! :D :D :D

looking forward to seeing you and the Capri there, all the very best till then... Cheers,

John...
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Glad it was only the head gasket, not rings like you feared at the meeting. Hope she's all up and running now.

Paul.