my new car

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Ian Ibbeson
Car(s): Just buying a ford capri 2.0 laser in blue d reg good condition and ver original , picking it up in Essex next week . Was hoping for a 2.8 but cannot find one ats reasonable . Anyway looking forward to driving it . Everyone says its a mid life crisis .

my new car

Post by Ian Ibbeson »

[img]http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b56 ... 512a1d.jpg[/img
this is now mine looking forward to picking it up on wednesday . comments please from experienced caspri fans. thanks to the person who explained how to put pictures on this forum
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Re: my new car

Post by Ghia15 »

Looks tidy, hope you enjoy it.
atomic4
Car(s): Ford Capri V8 Twin turbo.
W reg black 3ltr S

Post by atomic4 »

Hope it's all solid underneath and requires next or no welding to it. If that's all ok then it seems you may have a good buy. :cool:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Looks a decent car but can't help noticing that you appear to have oil pressure with the engine off - no revs so presumably not running. Something not working or trick of the light?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Ian Ibbeson
Car(s): Just buying a ford capri 2.0 laser in blue d reg good condition and ver original , picking it up in Essex next week . Was hoping for a 2.8 but cannot find one ats reasonable . Anyway looking forward to driving it . Everyone says its a mid life crisis .

Post by Ian Ibbeson »

Car is 100% . Brought car near Colchester and then having it waxoyled somewhere off m25 . I am picking it up this sat and I spoke to the waxing chap who has never seen it before , I spoke to him today and being a third party tells me It immaculate , he even took It for a Drive at his depot and tells me It drives brillanty the gearbox and drive all ok no whines , can't wait to see it in the flesh
BMWcapri
Car(s): BMW V8 powered '81 Calypso

Post by BMWcapri »

Looks nice & tidy but check the rust-prone areas for peace of mind - front of footwells and where inner sills meet floor under carpets, inside the headlight surrounds and around the front suspension strut top mountings under the bonnet. And also the rear leaf-spring front mounting areas as they're a pain to rebuild. :goodluck:
CologneVampire
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 2.8i Special (Restoration Project) & Focus ST3 (Daily Driver)

Post by CologneVampire »

Peter-S wrote:Looks a decent car but can't help noticing that you appear to have oil pressure with the engine off - no revs so presumably not running. Something not working or trick of the light?
:welcome: Clever trick that :xd: Lovely motor none the less.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Rev counter not connected is my bet.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Post by dan the capri fan »

:welcome: to the forum that looks like a tidy capri you,ve got there hope you enjoy her :D

you are welcome to come to this forums anual meet if you want its on around june/july time and is at marston moretaine bedfordshire :D
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote:Looks a decent car but can't help noticing that you appear to have oil pressure with the engine off....
Wow, Hawkeye! Also, the heater blower switch is on it the pic, if the blower needs fixing then make sure it's not left on, could be hazardous if so. Very nice car, I like it.
Ian Ibbeson

Post by Ian Ibbeson »

Thanks for your thoughts . HAve now picked up the car and there are some things that need seeing too .
Radio works but seems to struggle to pick up channels .
Rear wiper not working
Rear washer not working
Did the laser have electric Ariel ?
Fan heater not working
Front bumper needs resprayig .
Only just picked it up and it's still on the trailer outside my. House .

Been checked underneath prior to waxing ad the chap says it is in good condition and I drives we'll but I better get. Use to not having power steering .
Does anyone know where I can get the side panels for the bumpers as they need touching up or can I use body. Trim people

Looking forward to hearing from you. .
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Hi

As for the fan motor, it is rare to have an original one working. You can still get new ones though. Will require the heater box taking out. Nige has instructions, if you click the banner at the bottom of any of his posts.

The bumper side panels, if they are scratched then you can just pop a bit of filler on and sand back to match the contours. you can then use textured spray paint to make it look perfect, When i did this I just used std halfords gloss black and it looks pretty good.

TBH the rear washer and wiper are not working on mine, dont really miss it thoyugh.
First thing to check is that they both get power and that they are earthed properly.

bad connections cause most of the electrical problems on the capri, if they are good then it could be a failed motor or switch.

I think the lasers did have a leccy aerial, probably a wiring thing again but new ones can also be had I think.

Is the aerial up atm, if so do you have the original digital radio for the car. could be that the cable for the aerial needs pushing back in. niot sure on that one though.

main thing is that the underside of the car is solid, from there everything else is light maintenance and tinkering.