21 Dumb and owner of a 2.8i Capri

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
V6Matt21
Car(s): VW polo (many stance, such low)
Capri 2.8 Injection (long term racekar project)

21 Dumb and owner of a 2.8i Capri

Post by V6Matt21 »

Ok, so like any young 21 year old male, I am addicted to the three things my parents warned me about: Alcohol (copious amounts of it :beer: ), Women (not so copious amounts but I do try :heart: ) and finally speed :drive: mainly that in a car. As such you can imagine my parents excitement when I turned up on their quiet driveway in the country a week ago in the loudest, smelliest Capri 2.8 you could imagine having just travelled from Cambridge to Holyhead and then Dublin to Newry, a wonder trip of about 450 miles (and 120 quid on petrol). Now that I am the keeper of such a brilliant piece of kit I have a list of fun things planned for it and the coming months and all going well I'll be posting them up here, so anyone with any tips, hints or just some general advice and help from the veterans for one of the 'younger' enthusiasts please fire away, I've got the feeling ill be needing it :D

V6Matt21

Re: 21 Dumb and owner of a 2.8i Capri

Post by V6Matt21 »

The night we got her home

The next morning in the sun

And now to the stripping
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Bet that look was pricless.

Enjoy the car mate.
skozra
Car(s): 1993 Volvo 240 Estate, 01 Subaru Impreza WRX Saloon, 86 Capri 2.8i (fitted with weber 38 carb) and an Audi A1

Post by skozra »

Car looks great matey, nice colour too and I do like the registration number.

Looking forward to seeing future updates on it 8-)
V6Matt21

Post by V6Matt21 »

Some new toys arrived today :D cant wait for to finish my exams so i can fit them Image

The exhaust will be fitted in the next two weeks, the dixie horn will be fitted as soon as i receive the replacement horn for the set after one of the original 5 arrived with a broken bell. even still, it is deafeningly loud :xd: :applaud:
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

whats the insurance on your 2.8? i just turned 22 in april and insurance for 1600 is about 1200, and i havent told them its a 2.1 now!
V6Matt21

Post by V6Matt21 »

my insurance is only 517 for the year, but that's with VERY limited mileage and a few fibs, the usual, its for social, 3000 miles a year (yeah right), its kept in a locked garage etc, all with flux direct. still as long as no1 tells them im completely legal :lol: so shhhhh lol
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

explains it being cheap lol mine was everyday use
V6Matt21

Post by V6Matt21 »

Ai well where i am from police are rarer than hens teeth :D and long may it continue
bladeuk
Car(s): 2004 Ford mondeo tdci ghia (daily drive ) and an A reg ford capri 1.6

Post by bladeuk »

why have you took the bumper off ?
Gray18
Car(s): 2007 fiesta zetec s
1983 2.8 Injection

Post by Gray18 »

good man, what's your plans for her?

you going to join the capri club ni?

get her up to kilbroney car show, or portrush, you'll get an idea of what you'd like in your own car too.
V6Matt21

Post by V6Matt21 »

The bumper is off cause i am stripping her and spraying her black, dont think ill be putting the bumpers back on though all the same, the side skirts are off now as well, need to do a wee bit of welding to the drivers side back bumper bit behind, wont know how bad till I strip the paint. Saturday week ill have the exhaust and dixie horn fitted and then start into the messy stuff :D ai ive been to the kilbroney car show before im actually from near Newry anyways so its not that far of a jaunt, portrush on the otherhand...pity i have exams this week, NW200 is this weekend, would have been great to get her up at it :D
V6Matt21

Post by V6Matt21 »

ok....so we decided to swap the distributor cap and the rotor arm while i tidied up the engine. whenever i finished i went to start the car and after a while of it turning over but not starting it made a loud bang. any ideas?
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

V6Matt21 wrote:ok....so we decided to swap the distributor cap and the rotor arm while i tidied up the engine. whenever i finished i went to start the car and after a while of it turning over but not starting it made a loud bang. any ideas?
Yes, you've got the leads wrong, probably all one place to the left or right. Easy done, as the manual pictures don't always relate exactly to the orientation of your dizzy.
The loud bang will be all the fuel getting fed up with not being lit properly and deciding to go off on its own, probably in the exhaust manifold somewhere.

And why spray it black? There's loads of black Capris about! Forest Green Early ones are much rarer. Seems a shame to me.
V6Matt21

Post by V6Matt21 »

Bug wrote:Yes, you've got the leads wrong, probably all one place to the left or right. Easy done, as the manual pictures don't always relate exactly to the orientation of your dizzy.
The loud bang will be all the fuel getting fed up with not being lit properly and deciding to go off on its own, probably in the exhaust manifold somewhere.

And why spray it black? There's loads of black Capris about! Forest Green Early ones are much rarer. Seems a shame to me.
Thanks a million, that got her starting perfectly :D only thing is that once she starts, she idles for 4-5 seconds and then dies, if i touch the throttle at all she dies faster :/ something to do with the injection system or the timing maybe?

I always wanted a black classic but the green really is growing on me i have to admit, just trying to find a type 9 gear box now cause 1st gear in the type 5 is gone :(
V6Matt21

The latest expense

Post by V6Matt21 »

Sent her off to my tame mechanic yesterday to get the gearbox fixed, turns out the oil seal had gone and more than likely ill be needing a new 1st gear and new bearings :( , as well as getting the engine tuned back up as i may have been a bit heavy handed bringing her home from england :banghead: . fortunetly for me there is a ford capri trained mechanic 10 minutes away so we trailered up and away. have to say though it was the scariest trailer journey ive ever witnessed, every bump and my rather expensive financial haemorrhage seemed to shift a mile on a trailer that was slightly too short and far too thin :/ still, ill have her back in two to three weeks and then ill be spraying her, decided against the black after a stint at the donegal rally. Am thinking of something a lot brighter, either orange or blue. Still i may wait till i have the keys back in my pocket before i start thinking about the future and the next big spend :lowrider:
gorki
Car(s): Capri 2.0 S (V6)

Post by gorki »

Keep it original, trust me, Change the rims and steering wheels, bumpers have their use, and with those overriders they look like they came from a true musclecar (or jeep :twisted: ).
You have a true classic and a badass car already, why spoil it?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

That green is a great colour, and originality is the key. So I agree - don't change it too much, i.e. don't spoil it. If you want to change, adapt, mess with, update, alter, soup up, etc...then do it to a car. Not a Capri :D
V6Matt21

Post by V6Matt21 »

I know what you mean and i really like the green but Im swapping the bumpers for chrome mk2 ones and the grill for either a de-badged one or a mk2 one. as for the colour....we will see what the future and the dvlni have to say :D
gorki
Car(s): Capri 2.0 S (V6)

Post by gorki »

That's a way to go, switch between the things which can be done without modifying the car and with an instant effect. If you want it to look more like a muclecar, i'd suggest steel weller wheels or alloy wolfrace slotmags, in 13 inch variant only! Some 205/60 tyres, and paint the letters in white. That will look period and badass :twisted: