My Other Capri

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
digger
Car(s): Mk3 3.1 4 speed now being stripped for rebuild and respray.... doesn't really need it... just want to do it
Mk3 convertible 3 ltr 5 speed...just putting the finishing touches on it

My Other Capri

Post by digger »

My long awaited convertible.

Was a Ghia, but after roof rot and an angle grinder this is how it looks presently.

Mot just out but just needs finishing up over winter and will be out next summer for the whole 3 days the sun comes out!!!

Digger
Attachments
232.JPG
232.JPG (132.52 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
233.JPG
233.JPG (131.87 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
236.JPG
236.JPG (132.25 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
The force is 3.1ltrs strong in this one........

http://www.my-capris.yolasite.com/
CAEDES

Re: My Other Capri

Post by CAEDES »

Looking good there!!!!

That convertible mechanism/roof area thingy looks very similar to the one on my bullet.....

Did you do the work yourself? If so, do you know if any of the parts are still readily available, like roof canvas thingy, etc? Any chance of some more pics around the rear screen area and maybe how your rear seat area works.... That'd be much appreciated....then I can just completely copy you...lol

Looks like you're a lot closer to completion than me though.....I need to do a LOT of welding.
digger
Car(s): Mk3 3.1 4 speed now being stripped for rebuild and respray.... doesn't really need it... just want to do it

Post by digger »

Caedes,

Cheers, it's been 12 years in the making so far, far too long but being in the navy has limited the time i've had to spend on it. I've done pretty much everything myself to this one (this has been the 3rd shell i started the conversion on, rot and unfavourable circumstances killed the others!!!).
The cover was bought off a mate who had it made for his project that he sold off. He had to get it made to fit so it's not a perfect fit on mine, but i've spoken to a trimmers and he said that he would use it as a pattern and make mine fit better.
The rear seats and fixings are standard capri. I've trimmed down the rear cards to fit and moved the front seat belt mechanism to inside the bodywork.

I'll get some more pics taken this weekend. Anywhere else in particular you want piccies of??

Digger

CAEDES

Post by CAEDES »

Any chance you could take a few snaps of where you relocated the front seat belt mechs? I didn't like how the previous owner had done them on mine, so thought I'd just go with four-point harnesses and ditch the rear seats.

Luckily, I've got the original hood to use as a pattern, but just hoped the parts might be readily available.

Oh, any chance you could show how the boot hinges work, etc....mine look really dodgy and one broke.

I can't decide if the body conversion was put on as part of the convertible stuff, or whether the convertible was done first.....it's all fun and games trying to figure out the dodgy bodges previous owners did.
digger

Post by digger »

CAEDES,

here's some of the front seat belts. i used transit units. all i need to do is make sure where they come through the bodywork is smoothed off so they don't get cut or frayed.
The MOT station had a good nose round but said everything was ok so i was well happy

Digger
Attachments
DSCI0032.JPG
DSCI0032.JPG (128.26 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
DSCI0031.JPG
DSCI0031.JPG (130.15 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
DSCI0011.JPG
DSCI0011.JPG (125.35 KiB) Viewed 1806 times

digger

Post by digger »

CAEDES,

here's some of the boot hinges. even tho they work ok i'm thinking of fitting some of those large chrome boot hinges, the ones that bolt onto the top!! I think that'd tidy it up and give me some more room to play with in the boot.
Can't remember what i robbed the hinges i've fitted off, just took a mooch around a scrappies.
any more pics just let me know.

Digger
Attachments
DSCI0024.JPG
DSCI0024.JPG (123.01 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
DSCI0014.JPG
DSCI0014.JPG (122.94 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
DSCI0026.JPG
DSCI0026.JPG (127.16 KiB) Viewed 1786 times