Nat's Supercharged Capri

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Nat's Supercharged Capri

Post by Supercharged Nat »

Well as most of you are aware I drive a supercharged pinto capri. lots of blood, sweat and tears over this one but so far its been worth it, i think.....
again a photo thanks to Daisy!

and a little video on youtube of it on the rollers- 200BHP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V64cCggxQQo
Last edited by Supercharged Nat on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capri_sam
Car(s): Cosworth BOA, big exhaust, little bitty axle, bright yellow interior. Not exactly subtle.

Re: Nat's Capri

Post by capri_sam »

The more detail I see your car in Nat the more I like it :) I knew it was mechanically bloody impressive from the video and all your posts on here, but I do like all the little details- the bonnet vents, front spoiler, and painted bumper with black quarters and overriders look great together! I even like the wolfies, i'm not normally a fan. Seriously nice, and it sounds incredible!
Total number of friends who have so far managed to open the passenger door first time: 1.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

Re: Nat's Capri

thanks very much- its all due to just the way i want it really. vents were the nicest i could find but necessary due to the heat under the bonnet!

glad you likey.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

Re: Nat's Supercharged Capri

just a couple of updated pics really. ive been busy and still got plenty to do! next on the list is a custom stainless exhaust manifold and system & at the same time a better bracket & tensioner system for the supercharger! oh an i fitted a slightly different rear spoiler. i like it and since the photos ive made it fit a little better- not perfect though..

Got a nice alloy rocker cover on there too now. i recently fitted 46mm inlet valves- the difference is amazing! i also touched up the port work i had previously done. their right when they say its all in the head.
andrewg1323
Car(s): 2.0 Cabaret Auto - Soon to be daily driver
2.0 Cameo - Currently being Zetec'd
Peugeot 406 - Daily Driver and dull as!

Post by andrewg1323 »

Looking good, what spoiler is it?
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

to be honest im not sure, i think something like an RGA? i think thats richard grant something or other?

It dont fit perfectly but its goes with the capri so nicely, just hope it doesnt fly off!
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

Come on Nat - Get it up the strip 8-)
burtonm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 LS

Post by burtonm »

what carb are you running it with nat?
and i thought you had to box the carb in when you 'charge a carbed engine, am i wrong?
it looks like you have just boxed the air filter in, can't be sure though.
it looks great under there though.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

it all depends on what carb your using. im using a 38dgas. this carb has the float chamber open at the top of the carb and so the fuel in the carb sees the same pressure as the manifold. setup like that the carb works well. (im still tweeking it though, its not perfect). the piece on top the carb looks like its got an air filter in it, but i basically based it on the K&N filter that used to be bolted on the original engine. its just an open chamber. the air filter is on the inlet to the charger.

biggest issue with blowing through a carb like that is getting it to drive nice. throttle movements have to reduced to near nothing when driving because the extra air makes the carb much more responsive (you get much more go from the engine for a lot less pedal movement- which is why the economy on a long run actually went up!)
the other problem is it suffers bad carb freeze in cold whether (due to the cold air coming from the intercooler) and also if you dont get the fuel pressure right (it has to be higher than the boost pressure while on boost but low enough at idle not to flood the carb) thats another problem im contending with atm. that all may sound like its not worth it BUT ive got a 2.0L pinto making over 200BHP and 190lbs of torque 8-) it blows anything away and sounds mental, and its a right handfull in the wet. but on a damp morning i can come into the yard at work with the back end out, wheels spinning, smoke from the tires and the engine turning at 1700rpm in 2nd gear 8-)
burtonm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 LS

Post by burtonm »

ah that clears things up, and that's interesting about the economy going up on long trips.
but believe me it does sound totally worth it!
how are you dealing with the carb freeze? you could try something like the winter/summer thing on the VV air filter, where for the winter you can connect it to that plate on the exhaust manifold to heat the air. the opposite of an intercooler i suppose.
but would that throw the fueling out, as its all set up for burning with denser cold air?
what do you do about the fuel pressures, do you have a variable pump controlled by throttle movement or something?
when you started, did you recondition your engine or anything.? in what other ways is your engine modified, and you car to handle all the power?
i'd love to start a project like this, but as i rely on my car 100% for work it's a no go until i can afford to run two vehicles! (with insurance for a 20 year old its pretty difficult).
would it be worth 'charging a 1.6 pinto? would be nice to be different. do you know of anyone who has done that, and their results?
cheers
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

the car has uprated suspension & brakes. the engine was fully rebuilt and so was the gearbox & axle. fueling is delt with a regulator that references fuel pressure against boost pressure. the pump basically supplies the maximum pressure needed and then the regulator controls the pressure depending on boost.

carb freeze at the moment is being delt with by a manifold heater but its still not quite enough. im currently looking into it a bit more.