My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
andyd
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4

Re: My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Postby andyd » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:53 am

pbar wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:The days when you had to send the film off to Supasnaps seems a long time ago now!

It was usually Truprint for me :)

This was what you needed :D http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3Xm3OnBs0gA/V ... or-600.jpg

pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Postby pbar » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:58 am

I still have one of those Andy! :) Never used it much back in the day, the films were too expensive I always thought.

Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Postby Arya2.0S » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:28 pm

So, this is a thing...

Genuine Ford Turbo Tail. Obviously in rough shape, but all mounting lugs are present, no splits from what i can tell and both canards (i think thats what you call the bits on the end?) are in fine condition, as is the top that gives you the extra "aero".

Unfortunately, some twat in the past thought it was a good idea to paint this all-rubber, soft, squishy spoiler - in purple no less!

So im going to have to try and figure out a way to strip all this nastyness off and attempt to get it back to its original condition where i can then treat the rubber and re-dye it.

Thankfully some is just flaking off if you pick at it with your fingers but i doubt the rest will be that easy.

I attempted a trial fit but the mounting lugs dont line up with the ones for the normal spoiler so will have to drill out new ones. So for anyone thinking of getting a Turbo Tail for your MK3 Capri: IT WONT FIT WITHOUT MODDING! lol.

Im really hope i can make a fibreglass mould out of this and produce a few, i know theres a small niche market for these and if i can make them at a competitive price then why not? No one else is doing them, not in this country anyway.

Still, thats a long way off yet. I might make a separate thread detailing the process of restoring this beast onc ei have more to show.

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Admin Member for 11 years on the smaxownersclub

Postby Jasonmarie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 pm

There is one on eBay for 399 with damage I do like the look but I also thought the original ford ones fitted straight in to the old holes .

Arya2.0S

Postby Arya2.0S » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:There is one on eBay for 399 with damage I do like the look but I also thought the original ford ones fitted straight in to the old holes .

Yeah i just looked that one up to see what it looked like, honestly i think mine is in better shape despite being covered in awful paint (and cost way less).
Its a shame mine doesnt have the rubber bungs to hide the bolts but im sure i can fabricate something (or just paint the bolts black lol).

Have you seen this one? :shock: :o :shock: :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-capri-ne ... SwBt5ZFY9T

Thats INSANE money! But great for me for reference purposes to know what mine needs to look like when im done. :lol:
I just downloaded and saved all those photos so i can use them as reference for mine as that is mint like it came from the factory and shows i can infact disassemble the top section from those side bits.

Yeah i figured it would bolt on too but nope, two of the 4 fittings are in a completely different spot and dont line up with the holes already in my tailgate, same as the mint on on ebay i linked to above.

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Admin Member for 11 years on the smaxownersclub

Postby Jasonmarie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:31 pm

O M G the price so if you fit that to your car does it make the car £1500 more ? Also would the insurance cover the cost ?

There's a question as the parts of the Capri could be worth more then the Capri soon

I wonder what everybody thinks ?

I do remember once asking if you bought the parts to a car would it work out cheaper to build yourself and the parts manager said it would cost 4 times more just buying the parts then the car .

With the Capri and one drivers seat for a brooklands going for £2000 it will be better to take the car part and sell the bits ...

What is madness .

Arya2.0S

Postby Arya2.0S » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:O M G the price so if you fit that to your car does it make the car £1500 more ? Also would the insurance cover the cost ?

There's a question as the parts of the Capri could be worth more then the Capri soon

I wonder what everybody thinks ?

I do remember once asking if you bought the parts to a car would it work out cheaper to build yourself and the parts manager said it would cost 4 times more just buying the parts then the car .

With the Capri and one drivers seat for a brooklands going for £2000 it will be better to take the car part and sell the bits ...

What is madness .

Yeah it's utter madness. I can't see it lasting long, it's just not sustainable.

If I bought that £1500 spoiler I'd definitely have to consider getting my car re-evaluated. I might have to do that anyway if I get this one I have restored because in good condition it's worth £600+, I wouldn't be able to get another one for that.

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi,
Nice turbo tail, that will look great on your car.

On the face of it, the Ebay item looks expensive but where else can anyone buy one?
I expect somebody will snap it up for their restoration.

Andrew.

Arya2.0S

Postby Arya2.0S » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Nice turbo tail, that will look great on your car.

On the face of it, the Ebay item looks expensive but where else can anyone buy one?
I expect somebody will snap it up for their restoration.

Andrew.

Thanks. It will be nice if I can ever figure out a way to strip the paint without damaging the rubber. So far all my research has proved to be fruitless.
Gonna try some brake fluid on a very small patch and see what happens.

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Arya2.0S wrote:Gonna try some brake fluid on a very small patch and see what happens.

I wouldn't use brake fluid if you're ever planning on repainting the spoiler as the fluid will be absorbed into the rubber and may resurface later.

Andrew.

Arya2.0S

Postby Arya2.0S » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:19 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Gonna try some brake fluid on a very small patch and see what happens.

I wouldn't use brake fluid if you're ever planning on repainting the spoiler as the fluid will be absorbed into the rubber and may resurface later.

Andrew.

Good point. I wasn't planning on repainting it unless I can't get the current paint off. Ideally I'll strip all this nasty shit off and instead of painting I was hoping to fill in any imperfections and then dye it.
It's all a bit of an experiment at this stage lol.

Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Robin Hood Kit car, Rover SD1 Vitesse.

Postby Paul G » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:39 am

Like I said in the other thread, would soda blasting do the trick. I thought it removed paint without damaging what's underneath. I know on bodyshells it takes paint off but any filler left underneath is usually undamaged. Might be worth asking a soda blasting company.

Arya2.0S

Postby Arya2.0S » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Paul G wrote:Like I said in the other thread, would soda blasting do the trick. I thought it removed paint without damaging what's underneath. I know on bodyshells it takes paint off but any filler left underneath is usually undamaged. Might be worth asking a soda blasting company.

It could be but i have no money to work with at the moment so just looking for the cheapest alternative for now. I'd imagine soda blasting would be expensive and what with the cost of the spoiler to start with, and buying the other one off of you i have nothing left lol.

Arya2.0S

Postby Arya2.0S » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Hmm...heat seems to be the key in regards to stripping the turbo tail from hell.
Tried a small patch with a hot air gun on the low setting and the paint softened so much i could peel large chunks off, trouble is i dont have good nails and it hurts my fingers due to the heat. Im thinking of soaking it in a hot bath and seeing what happens, or taking it to a steam cleaner and let the heat and pressure do the hard work for me.

tejb1
Car(s): none yet

Postby tejb1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Get an old wallpaper scraper and blunt it on a grinder for a second to take the edge off it. Alternatively I've seen plastic scrapers around, again good for things where you don't want a sharp edge.

Return to “Members Cars”