My Mk3 1600 laser

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Turbonutter666
Car(s): D plate Nov 1987 Red 1600 Laser

My Mk3 1600 laser

Post by Turbonutter666 »

After many years of wanting one I finally took ownership of my first Capri on 24/07/2014, its a Mk3 1600 laser registered in June 1987 with 4 previous owners. its never been nicked or smashed.
I bought it off EBay for the grand sum of £730 with the promise from the previous owner that its a pretty good chassis, it had new genuine ford wings fitted before he bought it and it has good floor pans etc.
Well, after a little prodding and poking it is indeed a very good shell and after being stored in a barn for the last 10 years has a lot less rot than many other capris of the same age but it does have some mouldy bits in the usual places, it now has a hole in the drivers floor pan the size of 3 of my fat sausage fingers, the top of the inner wings have holes in the same place on both sides, the rear spring hangars need a rub down and close inspection because of a nasty build up of rust and the o/s one in particular may need some welding. the n/s bottom corner of the windscreen has a hole the size of a 10p before prodding, I have yet to discover what lurks behind but the n/s sill has 3 holes and the n/s chassis right at the front is rotten.
the engine was apparently running but smoking badly with 83000 miles I suspect its just valve stem rubbers but the engine is currently not turning and is missing a distributor.
also missing is a bonnet, master cylinder and fluid chamber, boot lid gas struts and heater box/heater motor and matrix. the interior has had it and in my sons words 'it smells like dead wood in there'
I suspect the next couple of years will be taken up slowly rectifying the mouldy bits and perhaps an engine transplant. perhaps the YB powered Capri that started this silly dream. If someone could offer advice on how to upload pictures I would be very grateful. Regards, Simon. Pictures will be uploaded when I work out how to do it! (HELP!!!!!!!)
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Re: My Mk3 1600 laser

Post by MS Injection »

This link should explain it Simon.

Cheers,
Mike

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33174
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Simon,
Nice one! It sounds like you have big plans to restore the car into the Capri of your dreams. Keep us updated with progress on this one, it's always nice to see any classic car brought back to life from the brink! As you've probably already gathered, there are plenty of knowledgeable folk on here that are able to answer all your questions. As for parts, Martin at Caprigear, Nial Diamond, Tickover and the Capri Club are all worth contacting.
Good luck with the restoration.

Andrew.
Turbonutter666

Post by Turbonutter666 »

THE BEAST!!! Image
Turbonutter666

Post by Turbonutter666 »

In its new home for the next couple of years with my son who was as excited as me! I have had to do major surgery to my workshop to allow room to work on it! Image
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi mate,

Thanks for posting up those photos of your 1.6 Great to see it. Well done for saving it from that barn mate. Such a shame to hear on this forum recently the rapid demising numbers of our beloved Capri. Well done and good luck with the work ahead mate

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

It's a D plater. It will rust..... EVERYWHERE I'm afraid. I have a d plater myself, you'll be chasing rust forever.

The earlier shells pre 82 are often in much better shape.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Terra-Kotta wrote:It's a D plater. It will rust..... EVERYWHERE I'm afraid. I have a d plater myself, you'll be chasing rust forever.

The earlier shells pre 82 are often in much better shape.
Crumbs, I got a '84 shell...better keep my running shoes handy then :crying:

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Post by dan the capri fan »

nice capri laser mate good basis to start from as it looks pritty solid. :goodluck: with it